TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Size Of Csx4000 Fuel Cell

Dunefanatic

I was wondering if somebody would have the fact on the size of the fuel cell (Bladder) used on a CSX4000.

I had some work done on a recently acquired CSX4000 car and I remember the owner of the facility telling me the fuel gauge won't start to register until the tank is either at 1/4 or 1/2 full. Oblivious to what the speed shop owner told me months ago, I took my car out this weekend for a drive to Monterey and got stuck in traffic but somehow better judgment prevailed so I stopped to get gas near home. After 12 gallons into my tank and my being thankful I was not stuck on the road somewhere, I really want to find out what size the tank bladder is for a CSX4k car so I do not ever have one of these epiphanies again.

Thanks,

Greg

I was wondering if somebody would have the fact on the size of the fuel cell (Bladder) used on a CSX4000.

I had some work done on a recently acquired CSX4000 car and I remember the owner of the facility telling me the fuel gauge won't start to register until the tank is either at 1/4 or 1/2 full. Oblivious to what the speed shop owner told me months ago, I took my car out this weekend for a drive to Monterey and got stuck in traffic but somehow better judgment prevailed so I stopped to get gas near home. After 12 gallons into my tank and my being thankful I was not stuck on the road somewhere, I really want to find out what size the tank bladder is for a CSX4k car so I do not ever have one of these epiphanies again.

Thanks,

Greg

If you are not driving the car on the track then don't bother replace the baffle/bladder system. Just replace the tank with a regular tank. The interior baffles deteriorate and need to be replaced every few years. If I had kept mine I would just have gotten a new tank. Check the Cobra forum for more details.

That said, my fuel gauge was very goofy. It would register full, and then suddenly dive to empty. The sensor is mounted at an angle to make it fit with the bladders, and doesn't read reliably. Just figure it based on miles driven. I think the tanks are 23 gallons, so I generally filled again at about 200.

By the way, racing harnesses are good only for two or three years, and if you track the car they will check the dates.

• 8 months later...

The problem with fuel level sender is they are through the front to fit the bladder. That puts the sender tube half way down the tank so he was correct that it doesn't start reading on the gauge till it's at almost 1/3 full. When the gauge starts to drop at all it's time to start looking for a gas station. It's not that big a deal if your reserve pump is hooked up and wired. Make sure that is all working before you need it. I had one car that made excess pressure on reserve which set it on fire blowing by the needles. As BJ points out a tank is better than a cell for longevity and a clean system. The cell bladders and foam take up a couple of gallons capacity so I would plan on having 22 gallons available from full with a cell. I convert a lot of cells to tanks and have been installing a spark suppression inside them that is used in combat vehicles and aircraft these days.

Archived