TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track Day Upgrades

cwa2wa2011

ViperNC; Thanks! I hate it when I get advise I know is correct. :lol: Especially when it's gonna cost $$! Roger on a dedicated track car as well. That's been on my mind since about; June/July timeframe. It'll likely be a GM product though as all my spare parts such as motors, trany's etc are all GM. Yes, I'm an old Chevy guy. Still have my ole 70 Big Block Chevelle SS. Plus; in my experience just about anyone who know how to change their own oil can make a Chevy run like it's supposed to. Getting a old design Ford to run like it CAN, takes a real mechanic. At the track there are enough gremlins to bit yer ass. I don't need to create a hole for them to creep in just because I don't know all the special tricks on each specific Ford powerplant. That said; the right deal presents itself, it won't matter what badge it's wearing well; unless it's Dodge or Chrysler.

But; I have to admit; I really really enjoy making the bowtie crowd work their butts off getting close enough for me to give them a pass by, then working even harder to keep me off their bumpers. Especially when they know she's bone stock and just a tic under 4,000 lbs. The SVT folks did a good job. I can only imagine what driving a 13 or 14 is like.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious by why aren't more of you looking into Cortex Racing??? They support real race cars and have some serious street packages. Plus the BEST Watts Link system and torque arm combo available for the S197 cars. As of right now there isn't a part we have put onto these cars and a part we haven't thrashed or broken except his parts. I can post pics of the parts if anyone is interested. :)

Chris I followed Albino's advice and later added Fays2, UCA,LCA, had eibach dampners, FFRP springs and sways. Car is on rails, all done far cheaper than Cortex setup. Though that would be nice. Tires? That is another area I received good advice. Use street tires first couple track days as they will chirp when you are approaching limits of contact. R6's and the like will just let go at the limit with little or no warning and that could be bad all the way around. Brakes are critical as is additional cooling for your ride. Note the thread above. Corner balance, another great piece of advise.

• 6 months later...

I am new to Team Shelby, and I am the proud second owner of a 2012 GT500 SVT Shelby. Black on Black ordered with the Stripe delete option. (Thinking hard on adding the stripe.) I have the black side GT 500 stripe.

I see that a couple of guys in this thread live in or around Phoenix. I live near 19th Ave & Deer Valley Road. We should get together some time.

A good meeting place is June 6th at Wild Horse Motorsports Park. You may now it by its previous name, Firebird Raceway. I road race with NASA.AZ, and June 6th will be my third time on the track. I did hot laps with my '14 GT 5.0 last year in LV, and I was here on the track in April. You should come out and see if its something you would enjoy. Gate #3 is the west track, which is where the event takes place.

I have yet to mod my ride to enhance the thrill, but I am prioritizing in this order for the near future:

1. Brakes // front and rear, which includes rotors, caliper, hoses, and pads.

2. Suspension // front and rear components to reduce sway...not particularly lowering, but for more tenacity in turns (not to say I feel any now, but I am a beginner)

3. Tires // something sticky and only for the track

4. Power, as if 550HP is not enough!!

I have one question: I see where some of you know what number of car you have that was produced with your color scheme. How did you find that out? I wonder if I am 1 of 1 with the stripe delete option for Black SVT GT500 Shelby for 2012.

post-44980-0-19129800-1433093291_thumb.gif

post-44980-0-55543000-1433093291_thumb.gif

Welcome...

I've seen someone in the East Vally with a 2013/14 with matte black stripes on black...looks MEAN!

We have a group of folks that get together for coffee, etc in the Southeast Valley about once a month ('Sunday Hot Rods and Caffine' on FB if you want to join). There are some really nice rides that show up. I will PM you next time we meet up.

I also organize a trip the the track once or twice per year with a group through my work...Planning do doing an event at through ProAutoSport in mid-November at AMP in Litchfield Park (Fantastic track!)...I'll keep you posted in the late summer. Also, may do a Feb\March event at Wildhorse Pass East too.

Your mod list looks great...focus on brake and suspension at first, especially to be safer and have more fun on track days. LCA, hybrid/dedicated brake pads and changing the brake fluid is a must prior to a track event is a must.

You can get all your car info and cert here for about $45: http://www.fordshowparts.com/store_contents.cfm?cart_id=10411866670111114100831041278320122801&store_id=1&dept_id=1150&product_id=6878

Thanks for responding, Barry. I would love to join your group for hot rods and caffeine. Is it okay to put personal contact information in this thread? The track event sound great too. AMP track is mentioned all the time in the NASA.AZ circles, of which I am a member already. However, I am so new to racing I have never been to AMP.

I am looking forward to joining your group. My wife Peggy is an enthusiast too. She drives an 2007 GT, Blue with Orange stripe. Yes, we are Bronco fans.

I added a picture of both of our cars.

post-44980-0-58949200-1433180522_thumb.gif

post-44980-0-34665800-1433180553_thumb.gif

Archived