TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So What Would U Say 5Th Gear,down Shift To Race What Gear?

Geneo4116

SO LETS SAY YOUR CRUZIN DOWN THE ROAD RUNNIN ABOUT 60 to 65 MPH,IN 5th GEAR,AND SOMEBODY PULLS UP ON THE SIDE WANTIN TO HIT IT,WOULD U DROP DOWN TO 3rd GEAR OR 2ND, AND U FIGURE ITS GONNA BE A GOOD RUN SO YA KNOW U WANNA WIN ,SO CONDITIONS ARE GOOD 70 DEGREES AND YOUR RUNNIN STREET TIRES MICHELIN SS,WHAT SAY U

If you are already under load accelerating, 3rd. But you gol dang well better throttle blip to RPM match or you'll be goin' sideways or backwards down the highway.

Unless you know what do do, don't... It's not worth it. Best is to let the asshole just beat you and turn his car into a pile of rubble.

Try 3rd. Feel it out and get more and more comfortable with 2nd at 60

If you haven't done it, please take a high performance driving class. You don't even need to be going fast in your performance car to make use of the techniques they teach. I use the heel-toe maneuver when turning into my subdivision road, with my manual transmission even when not going "racing fast"..

If you haven't done it, please take a high performance driving class. You don't even need to be going fast in your performance car to make use of the techniques they teach. I use the heel-toe maneuver when turning into my subdivision road, with my manual transmission even when not going "racing fast"..

+1000... Learn how your car responds to input, and how to control it, before you try something like this... High torque/hp comes with a price.

How much do I need to reinforce that you just should let the guy take you and not get hurt? There are many videos on youtube of this behaviour, and more of than not it is the car equivalent of getting kicked in the n**ts. Better to avoid the confrontation and take it to the track.

I've wanted, since I got my Shelby GT supercharged, through the Cobra, to the Ford GT to have a bumper sticker that says "I let you beat me". I don't like bumper stickers but live it.

Street racing is not a good thing...

I understand what everybody's sayin,I'm 53 yrs old,I have had mustangs since I was in high school,first car was a 65 fastback at 15 yrs old,had at least 10 mustangs,69 Mach 390 55 CHEVY 70 rt challenger,rat rods,but this is a whole different animal,fastest thing I've ever had,and agreeable most dangerous,u just can't jump in the car and floor it unless u like layin I the ditch,could never put my son in car alone and he's 30 yrs old,I know people just don't understand the unmanageable power,I was just getting input on all your thoughts,and ur right,but ya know when it happens if the testosterone levels are high,well wtf, but with common sense,I like the car but I love my self,LOL

SO LETS SAY YOUR CRUZIN DOWN THE ROAD RUNNIN ABOUT 60 to 65 MPH,IN 5th GEAR,AND SOMEBODY PULLS UP ON THE SIDE WANTIN TO HIT IT,WOULD U DROP DOWN TO 3rd GEAR OR 2ND, AND U FIGURE ITS GONNA BE A GOOD RUN SO YA KNOW U WANNA WIN ,SO CONDITIONS ARE GOOD 70 DEGREES AND YOUR RUNNIN STREET TIRES MICHELIN SS,WHAT SAY U

Of course everything you say above is strictly hypothetical because a reasonable man wouldn't do that on the public highways. But then again, a reasonable man would also be driving a Prius and not a Shelby GT-500 (LOL).

Again speaking strictly hypothetical, Let's just the other night I entered may or may not have been sitting at a redlight waiting to turn left onto a long ramp to an interstate and some guy on a big (and loud) motorcycle was behind me revving his bike. Also let's say here was wearing one of those "skull facemasks" which in my red tail/brake lights looked really spooky and badass. Maybe I though it was "Dr. Death" himself there to deliver me to my next phase of afterlife and I was really hoping it would be up stairs and not the basement place. Then maybe as I enter the 3-lane interstate highway and it was clear he was so close on my rear bumper I could not see his headlight. Just suppose I left it in 2nd gear and was running around 60 as I got to the end of the ramp and entered the interstate. Maybe, just maybe I hammered it in 2nd gear to about 90 and then slammed it into 3rd gear as it broke the back-end loose and the car jumped to the right about a foot. I straighten it out and stay in it. Perhaps "Dr. Death" has moved over to the middle lane knowing his superbike is going to catch and pass me as I stay in the far right lane and it is clear as far as you could see. At this point maybe Dr. Death was about two car lengths back after a quick glance in the rear view but coming hard. At about 130 mph I slammed it into 4th gear and it broke loose again and jumped a couple of feet to the right this time more than before, but at this point the doctor was about 10 lengths back but still in it. Maybe I was more concerned with getting my Shelby straight and tap the brakes and let it coast back down to the speed limit in 4th and then got off at the next exit 1 mile down the road. That was enough for me as well as Dr. Death as he slowed and never came around till I got off at my exit. I about needed a pair of vice-grips to remove my underwear when I got home ..... hypothetically speaking, of course. :drop:

I've had cars that could chirp the tires going into third or fourth but never get squirrely at 130 mph. It was down right scary, but then I've never owned a car with 662 hp before either. That's my story ( or maybe it was a dream) but I'm sticking to it. :whistling:

New Michelin Pilots are in my future since I out ran Dr. Death on his superbike and definitely need more traction in real life and maybe my dreams. ;)

youguys are staring to dissuade me from buying a 2014 Gt500.I have a 2010 Shelby and have been thinking about a new one.Im69,have had fast cars my whole like,been thru 2 3day drivng schools,but if thses cars break tires going into 4th on a highway, not sure i could handle that---Imnot a street racer,but like to get on it when enetring a highway etc.Imin good health, reactions are good,but i hit a wet spot last years on the highway and the car hydroplaned on me and i totalled my wifes vette.It wasnt me but the car,but still??

youguys are staring to dissuade me from buying a 2014 Gt500.I have a 2010 Shelby and have been thinking about a new one.Im69,have had fast cars my whole like,been thru 2 3day drivng schools,but if thses cars break tires going into 4th on a highway, not sure i could handle that---Imnot a street racer,but like to get on it when enetring a highway etc.Imin good health, reactions are good,but i hit a wet spot last years on the highway and the car hydroplaned on me and i totalled my wifes vette.It wasnt me but the car,but still??

Well I'm not that far behind you (start my SS checks in July) and had a 2011 Shelby GT-500 prior. I had a VMP pulley and tune on it and it ran great. Once I got decent street tires on it was an enjoyable vehicle. it was very nice, predictable and I respected the power. I wanted a '14 as I felt at the time it was going to be the last of the GT-500's like in 1969/70. The God's (actually my Goddess, the wife) were smiling down on me and I got mine at the end of January.

The 2014 is an amazing animal and very different than my previous 2011. Not bad but different. The tires suck when they're cold or wet and you really have to take it easy. It rides stiffer as it has a suspension made to go 200 mph not just 155 but not too harsh. Lot of cool gadgets in the center of the dash gauge with all the different apps it now has. I haven't used the "track app" and probably won't but the others are cool. What's really cool is the gas mileage. Yes, the gas mileage. Mine's a daily driver just like my '11 was (had 42K miles on it when I sold it) so that's one thing I like too. My best highway so far is 23.8 but I know I can do better. I'm getting 17/18 mpg in my normal driving which is about 1+ mpg more than my 2011 got. As far as the power, you need to be even more aware than in earlier stock Shelby's and you roll into the throttle, not mash it deep into the carpet at each shift.

It's an amazing car (as are all Shelby's) and well worth it to own what will probably the last of the big dogs with 662 hp. If you have the means and desires to own one, I'd say go for it before they're all gone (or used cars).

thanks Bill dont mean to hijackthe thread, soone last questionMy 10 is a vert.which has a pretty soft suspension, 18in tires in rear,so lots of sidewll to absorb bounces--.Is the 14 much harsher---do you think the vert is softer than the coupe. Gonna drive one this week--im debating the 14 vs the new 5.0,which rumor has will be 500hp. Resources isnt really an issue for me,since all my kids are now adults Thanks again--BTW ive been trying to find a blue with red stripes,and cant find a vert

Maybe I should speak for myself, but unless you are an ex-pro stock drag racer, I would bet 99% of us geezers that had fast cars in the old days are overmatched by the power of these new 13/14's. I remember when I decided to get a late model Shelby and bought a 12, the salesman said "why don't you just wait a couple more months and get a 13?" At the time, I thought, 662 HP is lunacey... what possible good would 662 HP be on the street? That, coupled with the fact that the other half of 38 years might change her mind anytime about the whole thing, compelled me to pull the trigger on the 12. As it turned out, 550 HP was just about right and I loved that car. However, after only owning the 12 for 18 months and 1200 miles, logic started to invade my thinking and I convinced myself that if I am going to have a late model Shelby it might as well be the one that has the greatest potential for appreciation. Basically my thought was it's my chance to buy the modern day equivalent of a Boss 429 again only this time I am not going to sell it. So, here I am 60 years old with a car that may never see the accelerator on the floor. It broke traction with me last fall at about 2/3's throttle in 2nd gear running about 60 and that was scarey enough for me. It seems like if the 12 had 550 HP the 14 has 1000. So, maybe with the right tires we can stop that from happening again. Just got the tires pictured below, 295/35/20, in last week only to discover Michelins run big so now I have to get some wheels to fit. Be safe my friends, but go get some tires before you put that beast in the ditch, or worse.

misctirecarbshelbyscj070_zps3a0f49b8.jpg

Maybe I should speak for myself, but unless you are an ex-pro stock drag racer, I would bet 99% of us geezers that had fast cars in the old days are overmatched by the power of these new 13/14's. I remember when I decided to get a late model Shelby and bought a 12, the salesman said "why don't you just wait a couple more months and get a 13?" At the time, I thought, 662 HP is lunacey... what possible good would 662 HP be on the street? That, coupled with the fact that the other half of 38 years might change her mind anytime about the whole thing, compelled me to pull the trigger on the 12. As it turned out, 550 HP was just about right and I loved that car. However, after only owning the 12 for 18 months and 1200 miles, logic started to invade my thinking and I convinced myself that if I am going to have a late model Shelby it might as well be the one that has the greatest potential for appreciation. Basically my thought was it's my chance to buy the modern day equivalent of a Boss 429 again only this time I am not going to sell it. So, here I am 60 years old with a car that may never see the accelerator on the floor. It broke traction with me last fall at about 2/3's throttle in 2nd gear running about 60 and that was scarey enough for me. It seems like if the 12 had 550 HP the 14 has 1000. So, maybe with the right tires we can stop that from happening again. Just got the tires pictured below, 295/35/20, in last week only to discover Michelins run big so now I have to get some wheels to fit. Be safe my friends, but go get some tires before you put that beast in the ditch, or worse.

Amen brother! Love the '70 Boss in your garage. Had a new '70 Grabber Yellow Package fastback in 1970 in college that everybody thought was a Boss, especially at red-lights. (LOL) I now have a Wimbledon White 1970 Mach1 sitting in mine for the last ten years. It's my time machine, takes me back to my college years and muscle cars. Although a V-6 Camry or Honda can probably take me in the quarter now days. I still put 2 or 3 thousand miles on it a year having fun when the weather is nice.

I love driving my Shelby(s). It's my daily driver (for a retired guy) unless it's raining and then I use the wife's SUV. I'm too old for it to be an investment so I'm enjoying it and will let the next guy worry about restoring it. Your Boss 429 example was exactly the reason I got my 2014. :salute:

It sounds like the 13/14 GT500 may be the first car in history that some people actually may want to de-tune for less performance (rather than modify for more performance). Maybe there's a market for bigger blower pulleys and narrower throttle bodys or thick shim to attach to the floor under the gas pedal to limit it's travel? :)

thanks Bill dont mean to hijackthe thread, soone last questionMy 10 is a vert.which has a pretty soft suspension, 18in tires in rear,so lots of sidewll to absorb bounces--.Is the 14 much harsher---do you think the vert is softer than the coupe. Gonna drive one this week--im debating the 14 vs the new 5.0,which rumor has will be 500hp. Resources isnt really an issue for me,since all my kids are now adults Thanks again--BTW ive been trying to find a blue with red stripes,and cant find a vert

I'm not sure about the '14 convertibles suspensions. Someone more knowledgeable will probably speak up. I think they're speed limited to 155 and probably have a softer suspension if that's the case since I'm sure they are heavier too. If you have the resources, I'd go '14 Shelby vs '14 GT 5.0. Not sure about the '15 GT but at the horsepower levels and weight reductions they're talking it should be a real performer. Of course the magazines are talking 2016 Shelby GT 350's and even GT-500's now so that would be something to look forward to also. A Shelby will always be a Shelby and even the early/late models (2007 to 2009) are cool to own, drive and still get lot's of compliments.

When the wife gave her approval to look for a 2014, I went on line to http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/ . Plugged in what I wanted and started contacting dealers. I wanted to buy local but when I talked to the salesman (a friend and Mustang buddy), he said they were out of their allotment and the other dealers wouldn't trade with them. I told him of one I was interested in 320 miles away and he told me he couldn't beat their price and recommend I go get it so we did. They came over $2500 off the MSRP and I was happy, of course the wife had picked out the color combo.

Good luck in your search or wait. :cool:

I remember when they first announced the '13 car was going to have 662 HP and 200+ MPH car.... First thing I thought was "Who the heck wants to go 200mph in a Mustang??? And where would they find the open space to do it safely?" Be safe fellas... don't want to see any bereavement notices going out due to a crash at high speed.

Of course everything you say above is strictly hypothetical because a reasonable man wouldn't do that on the public highways. But then again, a reasonable man would also be driving a Prius and not a Shelby GT-500 (LOL).

Again speaking strictly hypothetical, Let's just the other night I entered may or may not have been sitting at a redlight waiting to turn left onto a long ramp to an interstate and some guy on a big (and loud) motorcycle was behind me revving his bike. Also let's say here was wearing one of those "skull facemasks" which in my red tail/brake lights looked really spooky and badass. Maybe I though it was "Dr. Death" himself there to deliver me to my next phase of afterlife and I was really hoping it would be up stairs and not the basement place. Then maybe as I enter the 3-lane interstate highway and it was clear he was so close on my rear bumper I could not see his headlight. Just suppose I left it in 2nd gear and was running around 60 as I got to the end of the ramp and entered the interstate. Maybe, just maybe I hammered it in 2nd gear to about 90 and then slammed it into 3rd gear as it broke the back-end loose and the car jumped to the right about a foot. I straighten it out and stay in it. Perhaps "Dr. Death" has moved over to the middle lane knowing his superbike is going to catch and pass me as I stay in the far right lane and it is clear as far as you could see. At this point maybe Dr. Death was about two car lengths back after a quick glance in the rear view but coming hard. At about 130 mph I slammed it into 4th gear and it broke loose again and jumped a couple of feet to the right this time more than before, but at this point the doctor was about 10 lengths back but still in it. Maybe I was more concerned with getting my Shelby straight and tap the brakes and let it coast back down to the speed limit in 4th and then got off at the next exit 1 mile down the road. That was enough for me as well as Dr. Death as he slowed and never came around till I got off at my exit. I about needed a pair of vice-grips to remove my underwear when I got home ..... hypothetically speaking, of course. :drop:

I've had cars that could chirp the tires going into third or fourth but never get squirrely at 130 mph. It was down right scary, but then I've never owned a car with 662 hp before either. That's my story ( or maybe it was a dream) but I'm sticking to it. :whistling:

New Michelin Pilots are in my future since I out ran Dr. Death on his superbike and definitely need more traction in real life and maybe my dreams. ;)

Your story points out the weakest pole in the GT500 tent (and the Ford GT for that matter): The Goodyear tires SUCK! They are hockey pucks at colder temps, and it's impractical to think you can really warm them up with just street driving. That is the reason I highly discourage using the transmission as a brake. Compression braking is a reality with these engines/tires. At the driving class last spring it took almost three laps with a fair amount of turns and straights to get the tires where they would grip the track. I was going to bring my car but the weather in March 2013 didn't cooperate (I drove back home from Vegas in a blinding blizzard and had to go to Salt Lake (I80) instead of I70 because it was closed between Vail and the tunnel.

You need to figure out the limits of YOUR CAR and the way you drive it. It's hard to do on a freeway ramp since there is no where to go should you underestimate. The best place to do that is thus on a track.

Your story points out the weakest pole in the GT500 tent (and the Ford GT for that matter): The Goodyear tires SUCK! They are hockey pucks at colder temps, and it's impractical to think you can really warm them up with just street driving. That is the reason I highly discourage using the transmission as a brake. Compression braking is a reality with these engines/tires. At the driving class last spring it took almost three laps with a fair amount of turns and straights to get the tires where they would grip the track. I was going to bring my car but the weather in March 2013 didn't cooperate (I drove back home from Vegas in a blinding blizzard and had to go to Salt Lake (I80) instead of I70 because it was closed between Vail and the tunnel.

You need to figure out the limits of YOUR CAR and the way you drive it. It's hard to do on a freeway ramp since there is no where to go should you underestimate. The best place to do that is thus on a track.

Totally agree on the tires thus my near future plans. I put Continental DW's on my 2011 and it changed the driving characteristic's of the car tremendously for the street. Plan on using Michelin Pilots this time for even better control. These cars can still overpower any tire and if you choose or turn off traction control systems. Picked mine up in January in New Bern, NC after a winter storm. While the roads were clear, the dealership parking lot was still full of ice and snow. Thought they were going to have to push me to the street by hand to get me to the main road (LOL). Once there, it was a nice easy ride as I drove like I had an egg under the gas peddle. Mostly open roads but I still took it easy and keep shifting the gears to 4th, 5th, or 6th maintaining the same posted limits but varying the rpm's the first 100 plus miles. Like Dirty Harry said years ago, "A man's got to know his limits", and these cars can get you there and beyond very quickly.

Totally agree on the tires thus my near future plans. I put Continental DW's on my 2011 and it changed the driving characteristic's of the car tremendously for the street. Plan on using Michelin Pilots this time for even better control. These cars can still overpower any tire and if you choose or turn off traction control systems. Picked mine up in January in New Bern, NC after a winter storm. While the roads were clear, the dealership parking lot was still full of ice and snow. Thought they were going to have to push me to the street by hand to get me to the main road (LOL). Once there, it was a nice easy ride as I drove like I had an egg under the gas peddle. Mostly open roads but I still took it easy and keep shifting the gears to 4th, 5th, or 6th maintaining the same posted limits but varying the rpm's the first 100 plus miles. Like Dirty Harry said years ago, "A man's got to know his limits", and these cars can get you there and beyond very quickly.

My Ford GT had the factory Goodyears. When it went to the GT Guys for the pulley/tune and some other mods, I had the generally accepted substitute - the Bridgestones - put on. The Goodyears were already over 5 years old and the car only had 1300 miles, so I didn't trust them. The Bridgestones are awesome, sticky at lower temps and without so much as a warmup as others, but the downside is I'll only get 5000 miles out of the set of 4. The good thing is that the 4 Bridgestones cost me less than a complete set of tires for my Dodge pickup.

I'd have no hesitation taking this thing over 800 hp and using it as my DD still. I'm a little over 700 now and can't get enough. And any shop who tells you the 295/35/20 MPSS won't fit is mistaken. Had mine intalled last week and they're perfect. Even had Kelly from BMR look em over and he said they're great. No rubbing. Different story once i lower it though. He was surprised at how well a 295 fit. Upgrade to these tires and it eliminates plenty of doubt you previously had in the car's traction. Not all doubt, but most.

Thanks Bill! I am ashamed to say I haven't driven the BOSS in over 6 years but the battery tender is hooked up and I am ready to go this year. You still win the coolest car award though... a 428 SCJ R code Convertible. I would rather have that than a Boss 9. I think I read somewhere that Ed is bringing that car to Charlotte. I was planning to attend and ready to make reservations only to discover it was on Easter weekend.... Can't stand to leave grandson at this point in time so Easter Bunny wins.

It sounds like the 13/14 GT500 may be the first car in history that some people actually may want to de-tune for less performance (rather than modify for more performance). Maybe there's a market for bigger blower pulleys and narrower throttle bodys or thick shim to attach to the floor under the gas pedal to limit it's travel? :)

It amazes me how many 13/14's you see for sale with under 1000 miles. My guess is it was too much car for some people and they decided to sell before they killed themselves. I told my wife if I dropped dead trade the Shelby off and whatever she does don't let either kid, 33 year old daughter or 35 year old son drive the thing. It was only recently my daughter fessed up about how fast she drove my 300 hp 93 Vette when she was a teenager. I should have known... She was a wild child like me and I would have done the same thing.

whatever she does don't let either kid, 33 year old daughter or 35 year old son drive the thing.

That sounds a little ridiculous lol. I'm 24 and own my 2014 GT500, and it's the SLOWEST performance car I own. It's all about how you were brought up and taught. I had a pullied 04 Cobra when I was in highschool. All you have to do is understand what you have under your foot and realize there is and isn't a time and a place for hammering down, and know the difference.

Archived