TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trans Still Grinds 1-2 Shift After Rebuild And New Clutch

scaffold07

I've got an 07 and had the TSB done it was still grinding. So I pulled the trans and sent it to D&D they replaced all the synchros with carbon fiber (which the dealer didn't do but said they had) ,I put a new SPEC SS trim clutch new OEM slave cylinder, MGW shifter and it still grinds only on the 1-2 shift at high RPMs. Every once in a while it will shift without grinding but I have to be VERY deliberate and forceful and seems like lucky and it will go into 2nd without grinding. There doesn't seem to be any play in the pedal so I don't know about trying to re bleed the clutch. I didn't do the install a reputable local shop did because of my work schedule at the time. Any suggestions?

I've got an 07 and had the TSB done it was still grinding. So I pulled the trans and sent it to D&D they replaced all the synchros with carbon fiber (which the dealer didn't do but said they had) ,I put a new SPEC SS trim clutch new OEM slave cylinder, MGW shifter and it still grinds only on the 1-2 shift at high RPMs. Every once in a while it will shift without grinding but I have to be VERY deliberate and forceful and seems like lucky and it will go into 2nd without grinding. There doesn't seem to be any play in the pedal so I don't know about trying to re bleed the clutch. I didn't do the install a reputable local shop did because of my work schedule at the time. Any suggestions?

Take it back to the shop you had the work done, take the manager out for a ride with you so he can see what's going on.

If you know for sure it is not a driver related issue, I would check for these items:

Damaged syncros

Damaged gears

Shifter adjustment

Fluid type

My warranty TSB repair took care of all my issues, and I haven't had an issue since then (4 years ago).

I noticed that as part of the repair they changed the trans fluid to Dexron 3.

I have since changed it to the Royal Purple Syncromax, and it has worked well on the street and strip (120 passes).

Only quick shifts for me now though, powershifts can be too costly :)

Still running the oem shifter on mine so far.

I had the damaged synchros and gears replaced by D&D. I'm running Amsoil synthetic in it and its not a driver issue I've had many manual trans cars that I've drag raced in the past and aside from the occasional missed 2-3 shift have never had this problem. The trans is fine on 2-3 and 3-4 power shifts. It is even fine at low RPM 1-2 power shifts its just high RPM 1-2 shifts that are the problem. The next opportunity I have I guess I will try re bleeding the clutch. I'm just frustrated the 3K I spent was to go for mods not repairs when I didn't even really abuse the car yet. I bought it with 12k on the clock and went to the strip once and had the clutch go on me, had the TSB done and didn't resolve the issue of the grind so I rebuilt the trans and replaced the clutch. I just want to start putting mods on the car and enjoy it but I have to get the trans issue ironed out first.

Archived