TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will Any Tuner Work ??

cormy

The last item I need for the Pulley, intake and performance tune is the tuner.

Buying this stuff piecemeal as I can afford it.

So to that end, is it possible to buy a used tuner and then get the codes from VMP? or do I need to buy the tuner and the tunes from VMP all together. ?

I'm calling the item you plug into your car to modify the settings a "tuner". Correct?

As always...Thanks in advance.

The tuner or programmer needs to most likely be an SCT X3 or the new X4. It also needs to be "unlocked" or "unmarried". It is possible for someone to use the programmer to upload a tune on to their car, then sell the tuner/programmer with it stil "attached" to their car preventing you from uploading a tune to your vehicle. If this happens the only way around it is to send the unit back to SCT and then have them reset the unit for a hefty fee. (about 3/4 the price of a new unit if I remember correctly).

You don't have to purchase it all from one place, but for that item I'd probably suggest it just to avoid any issues.

Correct. Once a tuner is used on a car, the only way it can be used on another car is if the first car is returned to the stock tune with that tuner. Be very wary about buying a used tuner. The seller must prove that it has been returned to stock which will un marry it from the car it was used on. Yep, just better to buy new from the person who is going to load the tunes. That way you know it is programed for your exact computer code etc.

The last item I need for the Pulley, intake and performance tune is the tuner.

Buying this stuff piecemeal as I can afford it.

So to that end, is it possible to buy a used tuner and then get the codes from VMP? or do I need to buy the tuner and the tunes from VMP all together. ?

I'm calling the item you plug into your car to modify the settings a "tuner". Correct?

As always...Thanks in advance.

Everyone has answered your questions so, just a quick comment.

I'm on VMP's Facebook page and mailing list. Justin just announced the arrival of the SCT4 so you might want to call/use him if you want the latest/greatest tuner.

I think I saw C. Van Collier (Revan Racing) announce that he has it too. He sells VMP (Justin Starkey) and Jon Lund tunes so by my logic, it might be easier/quicker/cheaper to get a VMP tune in a new SCT4 directly from....VMP.

I'm not sure of a price difference between the two, if there is one so do your homework and shop around. Both give excellentj pre-sale advice and after sale support.

YMMV,

Phill

Archived