TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'09 Gt500 Clutch Dilemma-Need Advice!

jshrop6004

Coming soon...

attachicon.gifBlack Shelby Clutch.jpg

Wondering what took so long to come up with this, given the failure rate of the stock clutches. In the end it's just another possible solution to the problem Ford should have addressed long ago. One that folks will have to shell out big money for. Hopefully you guys did your homework and came up with some competition for the RXT as I believe many here would rather replace with a Shelby branded unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

My clutch went out at 5000 miles. Replaced it with a spec ss/ with billit flywheel. I put another 15000 miles on that and I just had it rebuilt by spec for 750.00. I swear by this clutch, no chatter smooth as silk!

I hope you meant 150,000 miles........I wouldn't want a clutch that only lasts 15,000, the stock one lasted twice that long!

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the club. EVERBODY knows the clutches are faulty and its not a question of if, but when it will go. As for me I got 20,00 some miles then flame on.

Tried to raise hell with anybody that would listen..to no avail.

McLeod RSX clutch and installed at the dealer for around $1900. Its OK but still have chatter.

Did not know about this issue before buying, but not sure if it would have stopped the purchase. We as the consumer have no recourse.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys ! I'M NOW HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CLUTCH !!! 09GT500 build date 8/8/2008 and has the bad

FW just turned 20,OOO miles ! My ford dealer was aware of the problem but said that ford had to review my case ?Well a week later the dealer calls and said FORD would offer NO HELP end of discussion but did give me my case # and a phone number ! So I call .... to make a long story short the lady was rude and ugly as hell to me and refused to give me her superiors number told me that it wouldn't do me any good and hung up on me !!!! So ive ordered a McLeod clutch and flywheel having it put in next week ! I LOVE MY SHELBY BUT FORD IS WALKIN A THIN LINE WITH ME!!!!!!!!

A car that is out of warranty, on a non-warrantable item, and you're mad at Ford? This is a known issue and has been since early on in these car's lives. If you haven't had it fixed under the 3/36,000 warranty you missed out. Unless you find the most generous dealership service department in all of Ford history.

You'd think some of you guys had spent 6 figures on these cars or something they way you expect them to treat you. It's a $45,000-ish Mustang with a bunch of big go fast parts wedged into it. Just budget the money for a clutch and move on with your life. Anyone who owns one of these cars and isn't planning or budgeting to put an aftermarket clutch in it down the road is just being foolish. Time and time again the stock clutches have proven they aren't up to the task.

• 4 months later...

Being an employee of Chrysler/Dodge, I see the same complaints every day about common repair problems that are known to the company and simply get no sympathy or response from corporate. I don't buy the reasoning that you "only paid $45,000" for your car so you should expect that kind of treatment......B..Crap....that's a lot of money in my world and if you as a company are not going to take care of problems like this in a professional manner then 1) you don't need my business in the future 2) you're gonna get a lot of phone calls from every customer I speak with because we all know it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease! It's hard for me to believe these large corporations (and Shelby American for that matter since it's their name getting slammed and they work hand-in-hand with SVO) don't realize that fixing these known problems with courtesy and an apology would lock these customers (and their families) in for life.....instead of running them off to Toyota/Honda/Nissan. When are these companies gonna wake up and realize WHY THEY LOST A MAJORITY OF THEIR BUSINESS TO TOYOTA/HONDA/NISSAN???? I sit at stoplights every day and see that I'm surrounded by these "foreign" cars and wonder how things got so screwed up, how the "big dogs" got so greedy and screwed this country out of its prosperity......I'm old, I'm ramblin, I'm sorry.

A car that is out of warranty, on a non-warrantable item, and you're mad at Ford? This is a known issue and has been since early on in these car's lives. If you haven't had it fixed under the 3/36,000 warranty you missed out. Unless you find the most generous dealership service department in all of Ford history.

You'd think some of you guys had spent 6 figures on these cars or something they way you expect them to treat you. It's a $45,000-ish Mustang with a bunch of big go fast parts wedged into it. Just budget the money for a clutch and move on with your life. Anyone who owns one of these cars and isn't planning or budgeting to put an aftermarket clutch in it down the road is just being foolish. Time and time again the stock clutches have proven they aren't up to the task.

Dude, I don't normally care for your comments much....

But I couldn't agree more with this post. Good grief....these cars are cheap , go fast cars and if you didn't do your research by now before buying one of these ....shame on ya.

:thumbsup:

As for the above post, people that buy these cars aren't interested in a Honda, Toyota or Nissan...unless it's for the wife's DD.

Just say'n.

I feel so proud of being the only SHELBY at the lights with all foreign cars around me...Actually its a game really....count the number of drivers in those foreign cars. Wishing they were me or you driving SHELBY...... .Ya .. it is quite a rush...... And yes she has cost me $ and as one .. had to deal with FORD with your same problems.......8 yrs now and Enjoying...... Fun car to own......

• 1 year later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread and ask for opinions:

Last year, I installed the Shelby Performance twin disc clutch for my '09 car. Since then, I have experienced issues with what we believed to be the slave cylinder which we replaced under warranty, however I've got issues again. The clutch itself feels great and engagement is very quick. Shifting has become problematic in that the car does not like going into gear from neutral and in some cases the car is trying to move slightly when going into gear, but I do not hear any grinding from the transmission. I spoke with Justin this AM at VMP and he said these twin disc clutches tend to want to stay engaged and he has personally had the same problem. We are going to bleed the system (again) and he also recommended lifting the car from the driver side a few inches and then pumping the clutch pedal 100 times to force any additional air out. Outside of that... I'm not certain if this is just the characteristics of a twin disc clutch and I'll have to get used to it or if I have a larger issue. Feel free to chime in.

Interesting you posted this yesterday because I have the same clutch on my 07 Shelby and have had the exact same experience/ issues. Clutch always felt great when shifting while on the road. Rev's would climb like a dream. Occasionally would be a little difficult to put into 1st or reverse while stopped and from neutral but I learned to live with it.

Unfortunately for me my clutch has only lasted my 4 months. It began slipping on Wednesday night on my way home. I called ACE since they offer a 2 year warranty and they asked me to check for leaks. None of which are present. I'm thinking they are going to want the transmission pulled and pictures taken.

Soooooo..... I'm currently I'm in limbo as to if it will be warrantied or not. My car is a daily driver and I only have about 2000 miles on the clutch. This sucks!!!!!

Clutch seems to have destroyed itself. Friction plates are worn unevenly. My mechanic feels like a pressure plate problem may have occurred or maybe the floater disc is to short. We noticed that when compared to the OEM 2010 TSB clutch the ACE clutch is shorter. We wonder if this plays into the problem. I would upload pics but need to upload them somewhere else first in order to link them.

Clutch seems to have destroyed itself. Friction plates are worn unevenly. My mechanic feels like a pressure plate problem may have occurred or maybe the floater disc is to short. We noticed that when compared to the OEM 2010 TSB clutch the ACE clutch is shorter. We wonder if this plays into the problem. I would upload pics but need to upload them somewhere else first in order to link them.

Let me know how ACE takes care of you. My car is going into the shop this AM.

Re-bled the system and it "might" have improved somewhat. I'm just going to drive it and see what happens before ripping into everything again.

• 6 months later...

Hello again ViperNC. SO did anything else develop with your clutch issues? I'm on my second ACE clutch and everything was going good for the past 6000 miles. But....this past weekend my mechanic was going over my car and noted that the clutch is on its way out again. Not as catastrophic as the first unit that burnt itself out. He thinks that the distance of the spacer needs to be different because it is not taking into account the material that gets used up as the clutch ages.

Hello again ViperNC. SO did anything else develop with your clutch issues? I'm on my second ACE clutch and everything was going good for the past 6000 miles. But....this past weekend my mechanic was going over my car and noted that the clutch is on its way out again. Not as catastrophic as the first unit that burnt itself out. He thinks that the distance of the spacer needs to be different because it is not taking into account the material that gets used up as the clutch ages.

Mine still doesn't really like going into gear when you start the car. No clutch slip at this point and I have tracked the car a few times. Now that you are running into issues again it makes me wonder what Shelby is seeing on their end and if they can offer any assistance. Or do I need to call Ace.....?

Shelby Directed my mechanic to get in contact with ACE. Ace said we should take the car apart again and take measurements. I don't know about you but I am not receiving any RandD checks from them. Looks like I'm gonna wait until it starts slipping. I'm starting to experience some difficulty at times with putting the car into gear. Usually 1st and Reverse. It would be great if you also contact them in order for them to know it is not only occurring with my car.

Shelby Directed my mechanic to get in contact with ACE. Ace said we should take the car apart again and take measurements. I don't know about you but I am not receiving any RandD checks from them. Looks like I'm gonna wait until it starts slipping. I'm starting to experience some difficulty at times with putting the car into gear. Usually 1st and Reverse. It would be great if you also contact them in order for them to know it is not only occurring with my car.

I think I'll call ACE tomorrow and see what they say. Stay tuned...

Update: Dwayne at Ace stated he is going to research and get back with me. His initial thought is the setup needs a couple more shims.

I've got 13,000 miles on my McLeod RXT and it's still flawless. I wish you guys the best, but this kind of stuff is what scares me about trying out new and untested products from manufacturers without the reputation of others.

Bad news. My Shelby Dual Disc clutch just let go finishing the first session of the track night tonight. Now I have to get the car towed. Not happy at all.

Update: We have the Shelby Performance Racing Clutch made by ACE out of the car today. OH MY GOD... Everything is toast. The fly wheel, the clutch plates, the release bearing, the pressure plate. The shims appear to have not been true and causing the release bearing to apply uneven pressure on the clutch and therefore creating all sorts of issues. Erik at ACE has been more than helpful in discussing so far and when he saw the pictures he was almost speechless. I guess we'll see what happens from here.

Archived