TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'09 Gt500 Clutch Dilemma-Need Advice!

jshrop6004

Hi Guys,

New to the forum & new GT500 owner. Here's my story, have had a 65 fastback GT 4 speed car for close to 25 years, bought a new 08 GT 5 speed car 6 years ago & put 98k miles on it. Always wanted a Shelby so started looking at the 1st of this year. Favored the 08-09's, so that was my target years. Live in the Upstate of SC, found an 09 GT500 in Metro Atlanta(2-1/2 hours away) at a Ford dealership(nameless for now). Cleaned up the 08 and drove it to Atlanta on Saturday Feb. 22nd. Shelby had 36,004 miles on the odo and was literally flawless on the paint, body, & interior. All stock with the exception of Magnaflow axlebacks & what I later found out were 3" Magnaflow mid-pipes. It did have stick on rear glass abs louvers, quarter glass louvers, and even stick on hood pins!(all removed post haste) Test drive was great, we worked out a deal & I traded the 08 & brought home my 1st Shelby.

I commute about 25 miles one way each day(90% Interstate, I-85) and this past Wednesday(4-1/2 weeks of ownership) on the way home was in 6th gear doing about 70 MPH, gave it some throttle and it slipped. Got to my exit, shifted from 1st to 2nd & it really slipped. Got it in my garage and the smell of burnt clutch was overwhelming.

I will mention at this point that the Shelby was a Ford Certified Used Car & that I purchased an extended 2 year, 36k mile bumper to bumper Ford warranty(not a 3rd party warranty company) when I bought the car.

Called my local Ford dealer Thursday(3/27) and they said bring it in. I did at 9AM & they said they would advise me when they knew something. I did discuss the TSB with the service agent when I dropped it off but he kind of blew it off saying that it would not cause slippage of the clutch. Did not hear back all day so I called at 4PM & they said the tranny had to be pulled & they would call me in the morning, & they would work with me to get the issue resolved.

Went to the dealership Friday morning at 10AM, they let me go into the garage. My Shelby was up on the rack and let me tell you it made me sick to see my dream cars tranny on the shop floor! Tech was super nice, was a 93 Cobra owner and very informative. He showed me the clutch and it was burnt to a crisp and the flywheel was one big hotspot. Here is where it starts to get strange. He said the clutch was not an 09 clutch, it was a 2011 style. At this point for everyone's protection I am just going to state that the clutch had been changed in Sep. 2013(6 months ago) at a Ford dealer in GA(not the one I purchased from) when the car had 35,500k miles!(remember it had 36,004 when I bought it 5 weeks ago today) He said they would do everything they could to get it repaired under warranty and would let me know when Ford gave them a decision.

The service rep called about 1PM and said that Ford had responded back that the clutch was not covered and that the repair would cost me $3800 out of pocket and that was putting back the original 09 problematic clutch! I argued that the car was Ford Certified & had the extended warranty. He responded that they said it was normal wear! I also reminded him that I had put 98k on my 08 GT and the clutch in it was as good as the day I bought it. Didn't matter, he suggested I call Ford Customer Service or the dealer I brought it from.

I called the dealer in GA I bought the car from next & left a message for the manager to call. At about 4PM the used car manager called back, he was helpful & sympathetic. I told him about the burnt clutch with now only 1500 miles on it. He said they would get resolved & he was calling the dealer that installed the clutch and would get back to me. Of course it being Friday afternoon I have not heard back from him yet.

So now my Shelby is figuratively and literally up in the air. Should I call Ford Customer Service? Wait on the dealer in GA? Push for another 2012 Ford clutch? Get an aftermarket clutch & see if my local dealer will install and try to get Ford or the purchasing dealer to cover the labor? Not sure which way to turn. I have read Grabber's posts on his experiences(excellent info, btw) but have not run into my particular situation. Hoping someone who has been there can give me some direction. Sorry for the long 1st post! Also if anyone can run an Oasis report the VIN # is 1ZVHT88S895119314. It might help if I go the FCSS route.

Thanks,

Joel S.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Forum Joel!

Sorry i can't offer any advice on the problem, as i haven't had any clutch problems yet.

For what it's worth, when the time comes, I'm leaning towards a McLeod RXT or RST

Let us know how it turns out for ya!

The $3800 is absurd. I would let the manager try to get it resolved especially since the dealership has all the history on the car and you have purchased the extended warranty. Worst case scenario have a roll back pick your car up and install a quality aftermarket clutch. I'd then let the dealership know I was filing a complaint with the BBB and Ford. It'd been different if you had had the car for over thirty days and had not purchased the warranty. GL & keep us informed.

You won't get much out of Corporate Ford. It is long past the original powertrain warranty. You will have to work with the dealer you bought it from to get support from the one who did the replacement 600 miles and 6 months ago.

Sounds like an issue that the one who installed the clutch needs to rectify, with your selling dealer doing the work to get it fixed.

If you get the dealer to do it get them a printout of the TSB and use the info in Grabber's thread for a parts list:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/

Other wise get a new Spec or RXT. Thats what I will do when it goes. I anticipate changing it at 20,000 miles (my 2009 has 13,000miles right now with no issues on the original clutch).

Remember the torque and Hp in these cars eats clutches for breakfast, its not what you are used to for wear rates.

My 2 cents FWIW.

I ordered the Mcleod RXT kit with flywheel from American Racing yesterday, it will be in tomorrow. Got the slave cylinder/throwout bearing today at NAPA. Still trying to get the selling dealer to pay the install charge($750) Will keep posted. Thanks for all the replies.

Joel S.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such a problem with Ford standing by their warranty. I'm assuming you are near Greenville?

You won't regret the McCleod.

I put the RXT in last year. Wasn't experiencing any slip but didn't want to wait until I did.

Follow the break in instructions and don't look back to the Ford clutch.

Good luck.

The clutch issue and Ford's reaction to it are one of the reasons I have bought my last Ford. Although they do some great things, there's too much bad design, engineering and support. As an example, when I wrote to customer service about my melted fuel vapor line, their response was to take it to a dealer. Why? So I could be charged $100 to have it looked at and tell me it's not covered under warranty? You know you're in bad shape when a Ford dealer tells you all the Ford GT500 clutches suck.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to let everyone know the status of my clutch situation. Two weeks ago I was contacted by a member of the SVT board, Ashley, who is a Ford employee. He asked that I PM him my info and Ford would start a case & have a regional representative contact me. For the record Ashley has been very professional & helpful, it is the ones above him that have not been.

To recap where we were, I was waiting on a Mcleod RXT clutch & flywheel while my Shelby had been on the Ford dealers lift for over a week. So the next day a lady who said she was the Southeast Regional manager called my cell. She said Ford would pay $1500 towards the replacement which was now a $3000 bill(down from $3800 when it was all out of my pocket) I said great but I was going to put in an aftermarket clutch since two Fords had failed. The labor at the dealer was $750, would they pay that(half of the Ford clutch offer) and I would go away. I had $1550 in the clutch, flywheel & throwout bearing/slave cylinder at this point. Her attitude turned 180 degrees. No! they wouldn't pay anything on an aftermarket clutch! I tried to discuss the TSB with her but she kept saying that was for the flywheel only. I said it is the flywheel that is overheating the clutch & causing it to fail but she kept talking over me so I finally said "Whoever your superior is have them call me." & I hung up on her. That is not something I usually do, but the situation has been incredibly frustrating.

About an hour later a gentleman from Ford called, evidently her superior, the number was from Central Florida. He was much more sympathetic to my problem & very polite, but still towed the company line that it was a "wear" issue. I asked him if it was his car would he put another twice failed clutch in? He said probably not but if I went with the Ford clutch it would carry a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. I said if that was the case why had I not been offered any warranty(besides the $1500 that same day a week after the ordeal had begun) The 2nd clutch that had failed me was only six months old & had only 1500 miles(500 before me & around 1000 by me). Well that started the hem hawing & he said he would have to talk to someone else & get back to me. That was 2 weeks ago & have not heard a word from anyone despite several PM's from Ashley promising I would hear from them "the next day" for sure.

The Mcleod was installed the day after the phone conversations & I paid the dealer the labor out of pocket which puts me around $2500 on a FORD CERTIFIED used car that was 4 weeks into my ownership that had a FORD extended warranty & the failed clutch was still in warranty. I am warranty poor & $2500 poorer!

The Mcleod is an outstanding clutch & I am still breaking it in after 2 weeks, no regrets on it. What course should I take at this point? I have thought of sending my story to the Ford board members or possibly consulting an attorney(on principal, probably wouldn't recoup the money on that route). Thanks for letting me vent!

Joel S.

Joel,

The course that I would recommend would be to forget about the hassle and let it go. Its not worth it and you now have a superior aftermarket clutch in the car of which Ford will pay $0.00 for. So as for the course to take: take it to your nearest road course such as Road Atlanta for a track day and go enjoy your car. Post up some pics of your ride while you're at it.

Sadly, I too, have purchased my last Ford. They know there are issues with these clutches and they still keep sticking folks with large repair bills.

That's bad business in my book and I will take my money someplace else. Flame away, but I've yet to be disappointed by the folks at the Honda dealership when I take my wife's Accord in for service. Granted, that may be because in 6 1/2 years we've only had two minor issues, but both were out of warranty and they took care of it both times no questions asked and free of charge. If I'd paid for the repairs it would have been 4 or 5 hundred bucks. Can anybody guess who gets my new car business next time around?

Saw the same thing at Porsche. Porsche knows they have issues with rear main seals leaking, intermediate shafts exploding, and cylinders cracking on their water cooled motors. I have seen a few repaired out of warranty at Porsche's expense, but it took a lot of effort. If Porsche can't build a dependable motor, what can they do right? Many have left the fold because of this. And Ford not standing behind a part they know is THEIR PROBLEM is just bad salesmanship. I have now owned 5 recent Mustangs, none of which has had even 1 problem, but if I encountered an issue like this clutch situation and Ford did not take care of it I would be p*ssed and driving my last Ford.

Ahhh, the failed intermediate shaft bearings on Porsche Boxter's. My sister had that issue with her 04. Porsche did eventually replace the engine in that car, but it took some doing. Absolutely, the best handling car I have driven so far. Actually thinking of offing the Shelby for a late model Boxter or Cayman.

The clutch issue has been debated for years here, yet it still lingers. The problem isn't just the fact that Ford put a poorly designed clutch in the car initially. Every car company makes mistakes. The problem is how they handled it afterward. And according to the original poster, they are still handling it very badly. Ford should simply step up to the plate and reimburse every affected GT500 owner for their aftermarket clutch replacement. I knew I had a lousy clutch setup from the day I picked up my new Shelby. It chattered terribly. Ford said break it in. It never did. Then they refused to replace it because, "it's a high performance clutch, they all chatter" and "it's not that bad". Is this type of treatment one of the reasons Chevy sold more Camaros than Ford did Mustangs? If anybody ever starts a class action lawsuit against Ford for this clutch mess, count me in.

Mine chattered until I replaced the clunky two piece F350 drive shaft with a carbon shaft. Problem solved. Never had the clutch slippage though...

"Class action lawsuit" = lawyers get $ millions and you and I get $10 towards the purchase of a new clutch.

Recently, a class action lawsuit involving BP gas was settled in my area. I'll bet the lawyers made a chunk of cash, but most people got their cars fixed. BP paid for actual cost of repairs up to $1500. You can check it out for yourself at price fuel settlement. If Ford would give me $1500 for my clutch, I'd shut up.

Coming soon...

Black Shelby Clutch.jpg

I guess I was lucky, Ford replaced mine under the drivetrain warranty at no charge. I had an excellent experience with Ford and their Service Dept.

Looks like Shelby is coming out with an excellent option, will be intersting to see what they introduce!

I guess I was lucky, Ford replaced mine under the drivetrain warranty at no charge. I had an excellent experience with Ford and their Service Dept.

Looks like Shelby is coming out with an excellent option, will be intersting to see what they introduce!

The Ford replacement clutch assembly had several problems. It was heavier than the original clutch assembly. Not the direction I wanted to go. The car was already too heavy. Many owners complained that while the new clutch had a better feel, it still burned up easily. The poor original choice of a 3:31 rear gear didn't help that.

Jer, I hope you guys took a page ( or 2 ) out of McLeod's book.

I know Ford did not, and look how that turned out.

They have one hell of a product.

That piece you have there looks sweet !!

Thanks for all the replies, still have not heard back from anyone at Ford. I am amazed at the number of people who have had their clutch fail with these cars. It really takes the shine off of my opinion of Ford. I am really pleased with the Mcleod, now thinking of a 355 or 373 gear. Had the 355 in my 08 GT, never any problems.

Archived