TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby Gt Painted Stripes

My stripes have completely faded and peeled to the point where I am embarassed to drive my car so I am looking to paint the stripes once and for all.

1) The shop I like the most at the moment just talked about removing the vinyl, masking, painting, and clear coating the stripes (leaving a slight ridge). His quote came to about $2800 for the top stripes and $900 for both sides. He had many other mustangs (mostly classic) in his shop being repaired/painted. While he did general body work I got the impression he was mostly into custom and specialty work.

2) Another shop would stripe then clearcoat the entire top surface, hood, trunk, etc. at a cost of $2600 but did not want to touch the side stripes. He was more of a general body shop and I got the feeling custom striping was more of an occassional thing.

3) The last shop qouted $1200 to do the work described by the first shop and $2500 to clearcoat the entire top. However, he advised against clearcoating the entire section saying the minor imperfections on the black paint would then be sealed underneath. He tried to sell me on repainting the entire car black and then doing the stripes with a total clearcoat. He said it would be in the $5-6k range which is way out of my budget. He also tried to convince me that I could turn it into insurance as damage caused while driving on the freeway from rock chips. He showed me a 2014 mustang where he painted a large single stripe and it looked very good but overall I did not get the best feeling about this shop since he really wanted to get involved with insurance.

My car is a daily driver exposed to elements so it has swirl marks, minor imperfections, and a small rock chip or two. Repainting the whole car seems too expensive and impractible given how I utilize the car. Im thinking about just doing the stripes but am confused why shop #1 is making it seem like a really big deal to clearcoat entire sections and #2 is just including it in his price.

Are there any problems with just painting/clearcoating the stripes? I don't need the car to literally look brand new but definitely want to get the 'pop' back. Do these quotes sound reasonable? If anyone else could tell me your experience it would be much appreciated.

I've seen the horizontal stripes painted with a slight ridge and the side stripes kept as tape and it looked great as both have the slight ridge.

The side stripes are far less prone to damage but not sure what condition your stripes are though. Even if bad the stripes from SA would be far less $$$ and look great. There are also plenty of people here that have had the side stripes painted too who I am sure will comment as well.

Satin Silver Paint code is M7049A Sherwin Williams #63454 - Jer may have a new paint code that better matches the new stripes metallics
The Font for the "SHELBY GT" is Myraid Pro Bold Italic 163 pt. (Adobe font)

BTW: Personally I would shy away from anyone that tried to get me to commit fraud as they're likely doing the same to you.

Good luck!

So it sounds like the first shop would be my best bet especially since I saw some of his work. The painted cars he had in stock had the stripes and entire car clearcoated for the flawlessly smooth finish but then again they were all total restores that were stripped and painted.

Yes, my side stripes are technically fine but if I'm going forward with this then I may as well have them painted for an additonal $900 which I feel is very reasonable.

I didn't add this part but I do have a small insurance claim open due to someone hitting my car. It's a small fender bender but between that and the minor knicks on the front he was trying to figure ways to milk two insurance claims. He explained it off like it was the 'proper' way to fix everything but it sounded so shady I already know I won't go there.

If you want to talk to someone who had the stripes painted, get hold of JDWHSKY on the forum and pick his brain. He was using his black 07 SGT as a daily driver and decided to quit fighting the vinyl stripes. He had it done somewhere in the greater L.A. area, though.

I was going to have the stripes painted on my 07 SGT but sold it before I got the chance. The most expensive bid I got was from West Coast Customs and it was around $2500. Just an fyi.

John

If you want to talk to someone who had the stripes painted, get hold of JDWHSKY on the forum and pick his brain. He was using his black 07 SGT as a daily driver and decided to quit fighting the vinyl stripes. He had it done somewhere in the greater L.A. area, though.

I was going to have the stripes painted on my 07 SGT but sold it before I got the chance. The most expensive bid I got was from West Coast Customs and it was around $2500. Just an fyi.

John

Was the $2500 for just the top stripes or both top and sides?

Good choice to go with option 1, I have had stripes down twice ( 2 different SGT's) first shop was in this price range an did a fantastic job. I did clear but only on the the stripes I also wanted a hard edge so they looked like vinyl. 2nd car I had to use a different shop (first guy disappeared) and he was 1/2 the price and so was the job. Jeffisheretoo got the color and fonts correct

good luck

Andrew

Good choice to go with option 1, I have had stripes down twice ( 2 different SGT's) first shop was in this price range an did a fantastic job. I did clear but only on the the stripes I also wanted a hard edge so they looked like vinyl. 2nd car I had to use a different shop (first guy disappeared) and he was 1/2 the price and so was the job. Jeffisheretoo got the color and fonts correct

good luck

Andrew

Did you get both the top and sides done? His quote is $3700 total for ALL stripes which is what I will probably do.

Did you get both the top and sides done? His quote is $3700 total for ALL stripes which is what I will probably do.

yes both top and sides and I believe it was $3,500 and that was 5 years ago

on the side stripes make sure they do a negative on the lettering, basically my guy had a sign shop make the letters and used them as a mask so letters were actually the car paint

2007%20SGT%20Painted%20on%20Stripes%204-

When my stripes were replaced under warranty I had the top stripes painted and did not clear them. I left the rocker stripes alone as they have showed no signs of peeling. The Ford dealership didn't have a body shop so they paid a local body shop to replace the stripes. The shop did the paint for the same price as the vinyl. Owner of the shop also happens to be a friend from high school. I like the hard edge as it appears they are stock. That was in 08 or 09, and they still look great.

yes both top and sides and I believe it was $3,500 and that was 5 years ago

on the side stripes make sure they do a negative on the lettering, basically my guy had a sign shop make the letters and used them as a mask so letters were actually the car paint

2007%20SGT%20Painted%20on%20Stripes%204-

The shop I liked did say he would have a stencil made by a logo/sign shop. I'll probably take the leap of faith here in the next couple of weeks. The shop I was referred to is http://www.therestomodshop.com and I made the two hour drive to get the quote. I feel this will be my best bet in getting this done right.

You need to trust your gut when it comes to finding a shop to work with your baby. Price should not be the determining factor. Also, if you think there is the SLIGHTEST chance that you would prefer a full clear coat without any ridges / bumps you will always look back and regret not doing it. Every time in life that I've made a decision that saved me money over getting what I really wanted I've regretted it and it ends up costing me MORE. Check out my blog below if you would like. With my car, we painted the stripes first and then the black - cleared and sanded the whole thing. Removing the stripes caused damage to the paint (previous owner did it), so I had no choice but to repaint. Sure beats the factory orange peel.

Is paint peelup common when removing the stripes? I took a heat gun to the top the other day and after 30 seconds it seemed like they would come off really easy. One reason I don't want to repaint the whole car though is I drive it daily and park it outside at night. I never intend for this car to be 'show quality' but just want it clean and nice looking. I polished and waxed a small section yesterday and the black looks pretty good despite the 'orange peel' and swirl marks that I can only notice when 1 foot away.

I don't think it's common if you do it correctly. My car was a CA rental, so the hot sun and smog along with the fact that it wasn't garaged took it's toll on it. I don't know what the PO tried when removing the stripes, but it didn't end up pretty. I advise you research how to do it properly and take your time. If you can save your original paint (you should be able to) I agree that there is likely no need for a respray if you use it and store it like you mention. Option 2 sounds like a logical approach to me as long as top quality materials and procedures are followed. Get references from the shop your gut is leading you to choose and personally inspect a few similar jobs to see the level of quality they can achieve. Do your side stripes even need to be redone? It's not an easy task to paint those and takes a lot of skill and patience as well as a good relationship with a local sign shop with a plotter. I used a GERBER brand mask to do mine and created the graphics on my computer myself.

I don't think it's common if you do it correctly. My car was a CA rental, so the hot sun and smog along with the fact that it wasn't garaged took it's toll on it. I don't know what the PO tried when removing the stripes, but it didn't end up pretty. I advise you research how to do it properly and take your time. If you can save your original paint (you should be able to) I agree that there is likely no need for a respray if you use it and store it like you mention. Option 2 sounds like a logical approach to me as long as top quality materials and procedures are followed. Get references from the shop your gut is leading you to choose and personally inspect a few similar jobs to see the level of quality they can achieve. Do your side stripes even need to be redone? It's not an easy task to paint those and takes a lot of skill and patience as well as a good relationship with a local sign shop with a plotter. I used a GERBER brand mask to do mine and created the graphics on my computer myself.

I live in the North Bay and in the 6+ years I've owned the car it has been garage about half that time. I want to leave the removal to the shop since he likely has experience. When you say 'option two' do you mean the guy that will bury the top stripes under clearcoat and not touch the sides?

My side stripes look fine despite some slight dulling overall. No stains or obvious defects but I think they just appear a tad darker if that makes sense. I want to have it done since it is only an additional $900 and the shop mentioned that he has a sign shop that makes stencils for his custom jobs. He explained to me that he masks everything himself but uses the stencils for the unusual things that would take way too much time.

I have faith because his website looks legitimate and he took time to show me 8-10 other cars (classic Mustangs) in his shop where he had done striping on a few. The stripes looked nice but were buried under the clearcoat since they were total restorations meaning I didn't get an exact look at what he would be doing for my car.

Is paint peelup common when removing the stripes? I took a heat gun to the top the other day and after 30 seconds it seemed like they would come off really easy. One reason I don't want to repaint the whole car though is I drive it daily and park it outside at night. I never intend for this car to be 'show quality' but just want it clean and nice looking. I polished and waxed a small section yesterday and the black looks pretty good despite the 'orange peel' and swirl marks that I can only notice when 1 foot away.

The shop that did mine had a very difficutl time getting the stripes off, but no paint peeled.

I have had the stripes done on three of our SGT's. I left the side stripes alone as they are fine. I had them mask them off with the same cut lines as the original tape and paint on top of the body work so when you looked at them you would feel a ridge like the tape stripe. If you do them as original you will see that the stripes did not roll under the window frames on the roof for example. We had the shop pick up the color by computer from the side stripe so they match perfectly. Did not have them paint the hood scoop as when you put it back on and polish the paint it looks stock the way it is. Price was about $1800 in the DC area which was fair for the work and we have high labor rates here.Two years later the cars still look great and the clear coat is fine. In a couple of years we will have them painted on our Hertz Vert as the stripes had been redone just before purchase but I know they will go bad.

The only thing we did differently was in the license plate area. Instead of all that silly masking around the rear plate we had them spray the plate area and carry the color stripe through it just as you see on the 1/18 models of the car. All that silliness around the rear plate is because of all the cutting and folding that would have been needed to get the tape to lay in the license area. It looks a lot better and I had seen one done at Ford Carlisle that way and it gives the rear a cleaner look and a more professional appearance. Hope this helps you.

Bobert

I'm getting my wife's done real soon. I took the car to my painter last week and talked to him today about the estimate and setting a drop off date. Note: This is an anal (in a good way) body/paint guy that does primarily hot rods and customs.

To remove the center stripes, paint the stripes along the original lines (under hood/trunk, etc.), paint the scoop, lay black on the surrounding body areas, and covering it clear, it'll be about $4K and two weeks. Less if it doesn't take as long as estimated. This doesn't include the side stripes, since those are in great condition.

I trust my paint guy, since he did all the paint/body work on my 70 Mach 1, and it came out great. Plus, I've seen lots of work he's done. He currently has a Ford GT-X1 in the shop for a little custom work.

I'm getting my wife's done real soon. I took the car to my painter last week and talked to him today about the estimate and setting a drop off date. Note: This is an anal (in a good way) body/paint guy that does primarily hot rods and customs.

To remove the center stripes, paint the stripes along the original lines (under hood/trunk, etc.), paint the scoop, lay black on the surrounding body areas, and covering it clear, it'll be about $4K and two weeks. Less if it doesn't take as long as estimated. This doesn't include the side stripes, since those are in great condition.

I trust my paint guy, since he did all the paint/body work on my 70 Mach 1, and it came out great. Plus, I've seen lots of work he's done. He currently has a Ford GT-X1 in the shop for a little custom work.

Sounds like the way to do it right!!!

I'm thinking they might not of been on very long! Because they came off real easy . I'm getting ready to take the original stripes off the the wife's 07 SGT . Now that will be the acid test LOL

I am in Indianapolis and I just had my stripes painted less than a week ago for the cost of $700... This included wet sand and clear coat on both bumpers, hood, roof, and trunk and repairing a small rock chip on the driver door. I decided to leave the rocker panel decals tape due to there condition. I would continue to check around, those prices seem a bit high.

I am in Indianapolis and I just had my stripes painted less than a week ago for the cost of $700... This included wet sand and clear coat on both bumpers, hood, roof, and trunk and repairing a small rock chip on the driver door. I decided to leave the rocker panel decals tape due to there condition. I would continue to check around, those prices seem a bit high.

That's an awesome price !!!!!!!!!!!!! I was quoted $4800 by one company; but on the other hand one shop quoted me $500. The first was way too high and the second quote scared me.

Let me know how yours holds up; I'm only 4 hours away. Thanks

That's an awesome price !!!!!!!!!!!!! I was quoted $4800 by one company; but on the other hand one shop quoted me $500. The first was way too high and the second quote scared me.

Let me know how yours holds up; I'm only 4 hours away. Thanks

Just had the top stripes quoted by a custom shop in my area for 1300.00. I have to supply the custom silver paint.

Just dropped my car off at the shop! I ended up going to shop #2 for a couple reasons. When I arrived they started rethinking the strategy and recommended just painting and clearing the stripes like shop #1 originally proposed. Since they are not willing to do the

'SHELBY GT' lettering on the sides I opted to have the vinyl replaced (~$300 + labor) since they did not discolor/rust like the rest of the stripes.

Hoping this all goes well!

Archived