TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Fiber Splitter

Hello everyone,

If I may be so bold as to address the eliteness of this Super Snake realm. :)

I recently picked up an 08 KR and would like to know if any of you have used and type of clear bra system on your splitter to reduce damage?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

AK.

Don't be offended Alcan, it could very well be that no one has direct knowledge on this subject. I imagine the bra film would be just as effective on the splitter as anywhere else. I myself don't use the film because I don't like the edges. Unfortunately, since I drive my car daily, I do have to accept that I'm going to get the occasional chip. I recently invested in a car bra, after a recommendation from a fellow Shelby owner, and I'm quite pleased with the fit. Planning on using it on the drive to LV next month. The full bra does cover the front splitter as well.

I looked into it briefly until I learned how much extra it was going to cost in addition to the 3M on the front of the bumper cover, hood and fenders. It became cost prohibitive.

Hi Tony.......I only have a lowly 40th but I covered the splitter and the cf pieces under the doors with 3M clear bra.

Then I found hydro carbon coating, so I did my original black splitter and put the CF one up on a shelf!

alcan, i have the 3m bra on alot of my car ,complete hood,no stripes,half of the front fenders,bumper not the flat part,lights, a-pillar , mirrors,behind front tires,in front of rear tires,the protection is great,here is the problem with covering the splitter just like my front bumper you cannot make the 3m lay flat on the top of bumper you can not bend the 3m over a bend (buy the top of bumper i mean right below the head lights from left side to right side below front grill with the snake in it ) so it would be hard for the installer to curve the 3m without cutting it, so you would not get the coverage you would need, its a good thought .i had a carbon splitter on mine and nerver had a chip, but i only have 6000 miles on mine ,i think the spliter has to much of a curve for the 3m to lay flat.

Hi Tony.......I only have a lowly 40th but I covered the splitter and the cf pieces under the doors with 3M clear bra.

Then I found hydro carbon coating, so I did my original black splitter and put the CF one up on a shelf!

I was going to recommend the same thing. Wish I had done that a couple of years ago. Would have saved mine from a nasty gouge returning from Shelbyfest.

No offense taken at all. I figured it would stir up a few comments...you know me.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. This forum will take some getting used to , it seems a lot more...conservative that what I'm used to. I didn't expect to see Sherri and Ford Fest on here either, are you guys keeping an eye on me or something? :)

AK.

This is a little more laid back, but the wealth of information may be even better than a certain other forum for these cars. The other one gets so easily distracted with gigantic signature images and jokes not pertaining to the thread content that it makes it very hard for new owners to do any research as a 4 page thread only has about 6 relevant posts. Here the signal to noise ratio seems much improved.

Don't get me wrong, I like jokes and stuff, but that's what the general chat forums are for, not the tech threads.

Hello everyone,

If I may be so bold as to address the eliteness of this Super Snake realm. :)

I recently picked up an 08 KR and would like to know if any of you have used and type of clear bra system on your splitter to reduce damage?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

AK.

Hi Tony - No "eliteness" here, but no experience with the splitter protection either.

I installed the KR splitter on my car because I like the look over my original Super Snake splitter, but I am always mindful to be careful with it.

Welcome!!

R

I have been looking into the clear bra for my SS, but will not be able to get one on before my next trip. I can say, no clear bra last year and I drove around 3000 Smiles with no issues on the splitter(2 small chips on the hood). I plan to painter tape the front end for my trip to SoCal.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tony, a few other alternatives that you might want to look into and can be done at home. You can take the splitter off, and get some clear plasti-dip to use as a protective coating. It does work but also gives a foggy appearance, and then there is clear vinyl. It needs to be the type they use for "wraps" like on company vehicles and whatnot. It's thicker than the vinyl used for our stripes but it is much more plyable and with the use of a heat gun, can be formed around corners or sharp edges. Anything is better than the splitter itself taking the brunt of the gravel!

or, you can do what i do which is keep multiple car lengths behind the ones infront of you. the bigger the vehicle is the worse the rocks it kicks. if its a diesel change lanes. just give your car space and you should be fine. easy way to save $

I like the clear bra on my splitter, but what I don't like is how often I seem to have to replace the dang splitter due to high curbs and my lack of paying attention. I had the front and sides coated so they look the same but she doesn't get driven on the highway much so maybe I should just stay out of this thread. ;)

Archived