TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Added A '14 Gt500 To The Stable!

Bookwyrm

Just picked up a brand new '14 exactly how we wanted it on Thursday (DIB/black with everything but the glass roof). Wow, what a difference from the '10.. I always thought 1st was for crossing white lines and climbing trees, but in this car it's for launching to the moon! :shoppingcart_:

image.jpg

Thanks guys!

And don't worry, Jim -- we've still got the 2010. Though we may let my father in law play with it for a bit, it's not going to continue the saga of quite possibly having more owners than years since it was built ;)

Congrats & good luck with the new ride, good to hear you found exactly what you wanted..

Thanks, that was surprisingly harder than expected -- the first one was bought minutes before we called the dealer about it, the second was totaled by a trucking company before that dealer received it, and the car the dealer we were working with traded for ours had $2500 in damage done to the passenger side by the trucking company when it was delivered to the dealer who originally had ours. Took a month longer than expected, but well worth the wait.

Incidentally, for anyone in NorCal, Ron DuPratt Ford in Dixon was great to work with, made a reasonable deal, and apparently didn't even order all of their allocations for 2014's (they get several extra due to their sales figures as the 3rd largest fleet sales in the country). I told them to let me know before that happens again and I'll be sure to pass the info along here. :D

Lol. I'm still working on not stalling the 2010 so much (and practicing on a car with a way cheaper clutch).. The 2014 is way more touchy getting into first. I should've learned to drive a stick in my 20's before I got lazy ;)

For the bash/50th we're letting my inlaws drive the red one so they can come and they may keep it for a bit since we're short on garage space right now and as fun as the 2014 is I expect that the 2010 will be a little neglected if we leave it in our driveway ;)

I am going through the same problems of what to drive if I buy a 14. Love my 12, but would also like a coupe. Was told last week that a dealer North of me about 1 1/2 hours has three 14 GT500's on his showroom floor. Do not know which packages and color and have held back driving there because I might end up buying another. Have six vehicles right now and its hard to choose what to drive on any given day and if I add another something will have to go as I have no more room.

But that power and being the last year is tough to pass up.

Nice car and enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cliff,

If you are seriously considering another purchase, take the time to check out the two '14 cars at Crossroads Ford when you come to CLT next month:

http://inventory.crossroadsfordindiantrail.com/crossroadsford/details/2014-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500/1ZVBP8JZ0E5239071/

http://inventory.crossroadsfordindiantrail.com/crossroadsford/details/2014-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500/1ZVBP8JZ7E5261651/

Roughly 20 minutes from the speedway and another 10 to my house.

Congratulations on the new ride. I finally get to see and drive my 2014 in two weeks. It spent the winter in Ohio and has been in my parent's garage in Vancouver Washington the last couple of weeks. We will get to spend a couple weeks cruising Oregon and Washington before heading home to Juneau. Since I can't make the bash this year it will be in our local car show over Mother's day weekend. Appropriately, this year will be a Mustang theme in honor of the 50th Anniversary.

I am going through the same problems of what to drive if I buy a 14. Love my 12, but would also like a coupe. Was told last week that a dealer North of me about 1 1/2 hours has three 14 GT500's on his showroom floor. Do not know which packages and color and have held back driving there because I might end up buying another. Have six vehicles right now and its hard to choose what to drive on any given day and if I add another something will have to go as I have no more room.

But that power and being the last year is tough to pass up.

Nice car and enjoy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had the same VMP mods on my 2011 as you and thought it is was fairly quick/fast. My 2014 is scary fast and will run off and hide from my 2011. I've had it for two months now and have adjusted to some of the differences but the power is intoxicating. I broke traction on a 3rd to 4th shift the other night at 130 mph+ and have learned to roll into the throttle, not slam it to the floor (LOL). Another plus is I'm averaging about 1.5 more mpg in my daily driving as oposed to my former 2011.

Thanks guys!

And don't worry, Jim -- we've still got the 2010. Though we may let my father in law play with it for a bit, it's not going to continue the saga of quite possibly having more owners than years since it was built ;)

This is one special 2010 indeed :) and it has a good clutch and tranny to practice your shifting skills with...

BTW, I located a hi-res pdf/jpg of the Ford build certificate and 3 :camera: of #351 on TFS-SL's showroom floor if you're interested.

I had the same VMP mods on my 2011 as you and thought it is was fairly quick/fast. My 2014 is scary fast and will run off and hide from my 2011. I've had it for two months now and have adjusted to some of the differences but the power is intoxicating. I broke traction on a 3rd to 4th shift the other night at 130 mph+ and have learned to roll into the throttle, not slam it to the floor (LOL). Another plus is I'm averaging about 1.5 more mpg in my daily driving as oposed to my former 2011.

I am torn between leaving mine alone for a few more years and once the warranty period is over upgrading everything to around the 725 range or just buying the coupe so I can track now and have two different things to drive. If I were to do this however then it comes down to what do I drive today and I already have that problem.

When I get to Charlotte and after seeing a 14 in action (I am sure someone will have one there) that is probably the monkey that will kill my back.

Cliff,

If you are seriously considering another purchase, take the time to check out the two '14 cars at Crossroads Ford when you come to CLT next month:

http://inventory.crossroadsfordindiantrail.com/crossroadsford/details/2014-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500/1ZVBP8JZ0E5239071/

http://inventory.crossroadsfordindiantrail.com/crossroadsford/details/2014-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500/1ZVBP8JZ7E5261651/

Roughly 20 minutes from the speedway and another 10 to my house.

I like the black one more than the silver and whats funny is I want my next one to be silver. Maybe it is the pictures but the silver just didn't look right. I did not like the interior of either as they went pretty cheap on the packages they picked. I have seen a gold color that is really nice on a Boss 302 last summer at Mustang Alley during the Dream Cruise. Now that was a beutiful color but kind of young for me. A nice dark metallic silver though in my mind is tough.

I like the black one more than the silver and whats funny is I want my next one to be silver.

That one is actually Sterling Grey Metallic. You'll have to see it in person to appreciate it. Definitely a sleeper car, but you would have to like Grey. These have been on their showroom for quite some time now.

That one is actually Sterling Grey Metallic. You'll have to see it in person to appreciate it. Definitely a sleeper car, but you would have to like Grey. These have been on their showroom for quite some time now.

I love the SGM, it was my only choice for my Shelby.

It was also my only choice for my Expedition and F250 (called Dark Shadow Gray). Lexus has a very similar color, and I tried to push my wife towards that. But she says we already have too much gray around our house (which is also gray :) ).

I am torn between leaving mine alone for a few more years and once the warranty period is over upgrading everything to around the 725 range or just buying the coupe so I can track now and have two different things to drive. If I were to do this however then it comes down to what do I drive today and I already have that problem.

When I get to Charlotte and after seeing a 14 in action (I am sure someone will have one there) that is probably the monkey that will kill my back.

Just test drive one, but have the checkbook ready! It's a serious improvement, especially with the SVTPP. I didn't expect the difference to be quite so noticeable, but it is.

We looked at a SGM/black car too and I'd say that' was my second choice. The lighter silver was a little too light for me, personally.

This is one special 2010 indeed :) and it has a good clutch and tranny to practice your shifting skills with...

BTW, I located a hi-res pdf/jpg of the Ford build certificate and 3 :camera: of #351 on TFS-SL's showroom floor if you're interested.

Sadly the tranny appears to have finally succumbed to the synchro issues some of the tremecs had (at least that's the current theory between the dealer service manager and SVT hotline even though it was having issues going into the odd gears instead of the even ones) -- it's currently in pieces being worked on. Should be better than new (hopefully) in a couple of days. Decided to get it looked at while still under warranty.

I'll definitely be practicing with it more before driving the 2014 much though. Too easy to either stall or go 0-30 sideways in nothing flat! Fortunately April's more than capable of taming the beast while I figure out my left foot. She's a better driver than 90% of the guys I know anyways :)

I'd love the pics! I'll shoot you a pm with my email.

Just test drive one, but have the checkbook ready! It's a serious improvement, especially with the SVTPP. I didn't expect the difference to be quite so noticeable, but it is.

We looked at a SGM/black car too and I'd say that' was my second choice. The lighter silver was a little too light for me, personally.

I keep reading about everyone's opinions of how much better the '13 and '14 cars are over all the rest so I decided to see for myself yesterday and drove one with the performance package. Speaking objectively, it is an improvement over it's equivalent predecessors in stock trim and untouchable in a straight line (provided you know how to put the power to the ground). With that said, my '09 in current trim may not be able to run in a straight line with the 5.8 Liter, but it certainly would out perform one on a road course. The setup on the new cars from the factory may be slightly better, but it still has all the sloppy characteristics I hated about my '09 before I started fixing the issues with very well researched and documented upgrades. I wish I could say that all the GT500's were excellent handling cars, but that would just not be true. A lot of work has to be done to improve the weight distribution, suspension, brakes, and cooling. The car is still tail happy off the showroom floor and feedback from the car still "vague". The #1 thing that really was disappointing was the interior fit and finish... still loaded with all the cheap materials in my '09. Ford will one day realize they could charge more money and people would pay more money for an interior that is of the highest standard. I know I would. After the drive, the salesman (who was white knuckled the entire test drive) asked "if I was ready to sign on the dotted line". I respectfully declined his offer giving my true opinion of the car and told him I would wait for the new model Mustang with a Shelby badge to come out.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for all the guys who did make the switch and loving their cars. I'm sure it suits the intended purpose and at the end of the day is an awesome car. For me, I'll never part with my '09 especially after all the work put in to it. I realize I bought a muscle car and if I wanted a car that handles well I made a fairly poor choice. I've always said these cars need an IRS (I believe that was the topic of my very first post on Team Shelby) and finally the Mustang will have one... and that will be a vast improvement for the future of the brand.

HMM, I came out of a modded '09 Vert and now have a '14 Vert. You are right on about the interior, the dash changes are good on the '14, but my '09 had the appearance package with a hand stiched dash and door inserts.

The 09 looked better, the upgrade isn't available for the '14. As to the test drive, did the Demo have the Perf. Package?? If yes where was the suspension and steering set on your drive?? My '09 was like turning a Battleship, the '14 is much better in that regard, imo. Brakes are also much better. Having been a previous Terminator owner you bet it needs an IRS. MIne had the Fult Tilt Bushing up-grade and it worked very well...

Your '09 is very well set up, and looks great, enjoy.. Twin Screw next??

We actually kept our 2010 as well.. Didn't just upgrade :) as far as car feedback, with the suspension and steering both in sport mode the feedback is substantially better than it was on the '10. It still needs different tires to help plant all the extra power to the pavement for driving on normal roads and some suspension help (I suspect a watts-link will be the next functional mod I add to it after tinting, hood struts, and tires but probably not a lot else). Definitely agree on the interior though. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing a 2015 at the 50th to see if the new interior is actually as nice as it looks in pics. And whether we go the super snake route on this one or not, I think a shelby interior upgrade is definitely in its future along with either some billet or hydrocarbon replacements for all the plastic

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a 2010 and my buddy's 2014 is not running off from me anywhere when I'm putting down 635RWHP / 640RWTQ with my minor VMP mods etc and tuned back a bit to be safe. I drove his and I see little difference other than the 2013-2014 need a 3:73 gear and a way to keep lawn chairs from entering the front end opening LOL. My 2010 will lay rubber in 3rd easy and my overall cost with mods is still $13K less than a 2013-2014. Now if you compare a stock 2010 to a stock 2014 of course there will be a difference with an extra 100 horses and the extra cost. I'm not buying one but I'm interested in seeing the 2015 GT500 and heard Ford is looking at calling it a Cobra again and dropping Shelby. I think that is a bad idea.

I too have a 2010 and my buddy's 2014 is not running off from me anywhere when I'm putting down 635RWHP / 640RWTQ with my minor VMP mods etc and tuned back a bit to be safe. I drove his and I see little difference other than the 2013-2014 need a 3:73 gear and a way to keep lawn chairs from entering the front end opening LOL. My 2010 will lay rubber in 3rd easy and my overall cost with mods is still $13K less than a 2013-2014. Now if you compare a stock 2010 to a stock 2014 of course there will be a difference with an extra 100 horses and the extra cost. I'm not buying one but I'm interested in seeing the 2015 GT500 and heard Ford is looking at calling it a Cobra again and dropping Shelby. I think that is a bad idea.

I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm putting any of the earlier '07 to '12 Shelby's down. They are ALL awesome. But in stock configurations, there is a huge difference. Sure you can get to the '13/14 hp levels in earlier cars but imagine if you did those some mods to a 13/14? You'd be running in NASCAR (LOL, J/K).

The rumors of a 2015 or 16 Shelby GT-350 or 500, Mach 1, Cobra, and now even Bullit change daily. Whatever the new "halo" Mustang is, you can be sure the Camaro boys will be crying in their beers..... again. :cool:

Archived