TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Check Engine Light Code P050B

My 2013 Shelby check engine light has come on 7 times in 14 months 6,000 miles. Code P050B. Grapevine Ford in Texas says poor fuel quality buy fuel without ethanol . That is impossible. Second time they say add fuel additive. I did that for 6 tanks and light came on again. This time they say don't add fuel additive and I should contact Ford engineering. they say to drain my fuel tank , which is full and and they send me home with 1/2 and tank and light comes on again. I contact Ford and they tell me to get a second opinion. Never take your Shelby to Grapevine Ford! ! I take it to Five Star Ford in North Richland Hills Texas and same code as usual, they keep it 9 days and replace MAF and reset KAM, replace PCM and do a exhaust leak test. I drive about 600 miles and check engine light comes on again, same code P050B. They say they have never had this problem before. They are the best dealer I have ever dealt with, but they don't know what the problem is. I have had in the shop 5 times for over 25 days, I think the Lemon Law is in effect. Can anyone Help !! I am out of patience by now.

Never heard of this either. While the task of troubleshooting will be deferred to a local dealer you could try calling SVT directly, I've called them about an issue once and they could at least tell me if it was common. 1-800-FORD-SVT

thanks for your response, ford SVT has never heard of this problem before. Now ford customer customer care will not return my call. Looks like I should have bought a Corvette!! Unbelievable that Ford can not fix the problem.

I had the same issue shortly after 7500mi checkup. Took my 2014 into my dealer, Galpin Ford in North Hills, CA and the SVT Advisor immediately recognized the problem and told me they and seen it on a few models over the past year. They were not surprised by it. There is an internal engineering bulletin out on it, and there is a "kitted" fix for it that entails replacing the fuel filler assembly all the way to the tank. They will dump about 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of fuel when they do the installation. Took a day to do it, so I got a rental and came back the next day to get it. You may have to wait until the kit arrives depending on the Shelby sales volume at the dealer. I have had no problems since they installed the new assembly. Galpin is the biggest Ford Dealer in the US, and is a Shelby American officially authorized Shelby Modification Center, so you might call them and discuss your situation and get them to recommend a dealer to take it to in Texas. These guys also own Galpin Auto Sports which is home to the Pimp My Ride TV show.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue shortly after 7500mi checkup. Took my 2014 into my dealer, Galpin Ford in North Hills, CA and the SVT Advisor immediately recognized the problem and told me they and seen it on a few models over the past year. They were not surprised by it. There is an internal engineering bulletin out on it, and there is a "kitted" fix for it that entails replacing the fuel filler assembly all the way to the tank. They will dump about 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of fuel when they do the installation. Took a day to do it, so I got a rental and came back the next day to get it. You may have to wait until the kit arrives depending on the Shelby sales volume at the dealer. I have had no problems since they installed the new assembly. Galpin is the biggest Ford Dealer in the US, and is a Shelby American officially authorized Shelby Modification Center, so you might call them and discuss your situation and get them to recommend a dealer to take it to in Texas. These guys also own Galpin Auto Sports which is home to the Pimp My Ride TV show.

Just had this issue start happening (the check engine light came on with the same code for the second time yesterday) on our 2014... Thanks for posting this! Do you happen to know what the bulletin number for it is? I've passed this info along to my dealer but just in case they can't find it any additional info may help!

Mine has come on 7 times in 7,000 miles .They have a computer installed and I need to push the button when the check engine light comes on a again, so they

can hopefully determine what is causing the problem. It has been 700 miles and not came on again . I will post as soon as it does.

• 2 months later...

update on this -- after the 4th time my GT500 went in for this error code the dealer finally got in touch with SVT and an engineer in Detroit ran them through diagnostics on the car to test everything that could possibly generate the error till they found something broken (and he was prepared to fly out for a closer look if that didn't find anything).. Turns out they've had about 8 different cars that had this error pop up repeatedly (that have been reported to SVT) and every time it's been something different that caused it. In my case it was a dead crank sensor (assuming the error doesn't come back again, but it's now been 3 weeks without it).

So if anyone else gets this error more than once with no obvious fix, make sure the dealer gets on the horn to Detroit -- there are folks at Ford who know what's up with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine came on today for the 9th time ! Don't know if they will ever figure it out. Calling Ford Monday.

Have you changed the air intake or added a tune?

I have the Ford resonator delete and added a VMP Tune only about 5,000 miles ago. Had a 65 degree day the other morning when the code popped up. Looked up the code and read everything I could on it. Car was running fine except for the check engine light and when I checked it, it was the P050B code. Deleted the code and nothing for past several days now.

One thing that struck me as funny in your original post was about the fuel. I usually run 93 octane with 0% ethanol. Not always but most of the time when I can. There are several stations near me that have it. I notice I get slightly better gas mileage with it also. I took a 200-mile trip last weekend and had to put some 93 octane with 10% ethanol in it on the road. First ethanol added gas I've put in it in several months. The next morning was when the P050B code popped up. Can't imagine that being a problem nowadays with the very limited availability of zero ethanol fuel in most states but thought it was unusual based on what one of the dealerships told you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

2014 GT500 Flow Master cat back street exhaust. I had no issues for one year and 12K miles. Last month I added a JLT big air intake, custom tune, supercharger pulley upgrade, 1 step cooler spark plugs and new "oval" Ford Racing throttle body. Everything except the throttle body was a kit from JLT. Last week I was driving with no issues and the CEL came on. I checked the code and it is P050B (Tuner says Cold Start Ignition Timing Performance). Just after the CEL came on my low fuel light came on. I called SVT today (Ford Racing Division 1-800-367-3788) and they have never heard of this???

I called JLT and they said they would check with the people who created the tune. I filled up the tank today and cleared the error code. I will let you know what happens. Please post an answer if anyone has had and solved this issue.

You can't call SVT directly, it has to go through a Ford service department otherwise you'll never get near the right engineers. It sounds like in your case it's very likely your tune causing the problem as this engine code can be a number of different things and you've got a setup with a lot of changed parameters -- when you call JLT make sure they know ALL of the exact mods you've done as any of them can affect the tune. If it's not the tune, it could be the most common problem that stock cars (unmodified) have which is a faulty fuel or crank sensor. You may have trouble getting warranty service on that though with the mods you've done, since they haven't issued any TSB's on the sensors. Depending on where you are there's some good shops that can handle it though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I found the problem. I installed the JLT cold air intake and on the instructions (2014 GT500) the picture for the orientation of the air flow sensor is backwards. On the 2014 there is no arrow pointing to the flow direction and no key so it fits into the tube either way. I pulled it out and reinstalled with the open end of the sensor facing the air cleaner. Idle improved and so far no P050B Cold Start Ignition Timing Performance error code.

• 4 months later...

Ever since I adjusted my TPS voltage on my KB 168mm mono blade throttle body I have been getting a P050B, I spoke with Lund about it and he said he sees it happen sometimes with after market T/Bs. I'm just just going to have him turn that code off.

• 7 months later...

Hello guys,

the Problem seems to be quite easy.

i got shelby gt500 MY 2014. It came with american tune and JLT INTAKE 5 x 9 (127mm Filter size).

FIRST Thing was : got a new tune and instead of 750 rwhp now it has 807 rwhp.

So i used to fill in 98 roz/octane fuel. P0300 and P050B popped up every day.

taking off the JLT twice and cleaning filter once a week and changed to fuel 102 roz/octane, issue codes popping up once a week.

as in discription of JLT intake 5 x 9 is writtten : up to 750 rwhp

so ordered instead of the built in 5x9 BIG AIR intake the SUPER BIG AIR intake !! 6 x 9 with 148 mm Connection size at Filter.(haven´t got it by now. it´s ordered)

I gues, with the super BIG intake the Problem should be solved but needs to retune the car.

next Thing is, OILED FILTER !! brings issues. !

In Mustang Discription is written : NO USE OF OILED FILTER: ! Brings causes.

So better to use DRY Filter System.

If use OILED Filter the MAF gets oiled and it will not function as it should.

So 2 things : best of using DRY Filter

fuel roz should be 102

and maybe the best Thing to use is the SUPER BIG air intake. / this is what i found out, but can´t say a 100% if the super big ait intake is the solution.

the other 2 Points is for sure.

greetings from germany

Archived