TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Wrap - Temporary Film

young768

Does anyone have real world experience with the Road Wrap temporary road film product? I am planning on using it for my drive to the Mustang 50th Anniversary. My concern is if it would create any problems for my stripes when I remove it. I will take it off when I get to Charlotte and then re-apply for the drive back to Atlanta.

I used it a few years ago when I drove to Carlisle once. It's about a 12 hour trip nearly all interstate for me. It was like $20 a roll and I still have half a roll, depending on what and how you wrap you may get 4 or 5 uses out of it. It worked fine and kept the bugs off. Easy to install and peel off with no damage. I only had one piece come off and bug the hell out of me and it was a piece I put on the mirror. It started flapping and as the wind got under it (at about 100 mph) but the rest stayed on fine. It's well worth it if your worried about your finish. I just put on a good coat of wax before putting it on. Of course you'll need to "cut" out areas around the grill and such to keep from blocking off the airflow. Attached is a picture of mine at the time after the 12 hour trip. I had put it on the night before in the dark and a slight drizzle so it was not very neat but still worked well.

DSC_5280 (1024x687).jpg

Bill what did you use to cover the grill? I am trying fiberglass window screen material. Just have to firgure out how to attach it.

Young678, I have had other people use the road wrap and like Bill no complaints. Good luck and hope to meet up with you in Charlotte.

Bill what did you use to cover the grill? I am trying fiberglass window screen material. Just have to firgure out how to attach it.

Young678, I have had other people use the road wrap and like Bill no complaints. Good luck and hope to meet up with you in Charlotte.

I didn't us anything over the grill, but I have seen a few guys use window type screens with a heavy duty clip to hold them on over the grill to keep bugs out of the radiator.

MY experience for what it's worth!

I used it a few years ago to make the trip to Dearborn. About 11 hours. It left a NASTY residue on my car that I was still finding weeks later. For the 50th run, over almost 2 days, I used blue painter's tape. Not "pretty" but stayed on and came right off without a problem...and NO residue!

IMG_1757.JPG

I know I have window screen behind my grill. But I attached it when I had the front bumper assem off and used zip ties. Have had it this way on a few of my cars now and have no problem, keeps bugs and crap out of the fins.

Can it be used over clear bra material? I'll be towing my GT to Vegas. I tried a cling wrap material on my Cobra and it lifted at the edges and made flappies in the wind that caused some damage to the clear coat.

Also, is this the same as "race wrap" or are there two different brands?

I did a google search and this material is sold on amazon.com. It gets some mixed reviews, some observing the same residue that was mentioned here.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Wrap-18-x-100/product-reviews/B005UQKPIQ

Can it be used over clear bra material? I'll be towing my GT to Vegas. I tried a cling wrap material on my Cobra and it lifted at the edges and made flappies in the wind that caused some damage to the clear coat.

Also, is this the same as "race wrap" or are there two different brands?

I did a google search and this material is sold on amazon.com. It gets some mixed reviews, some observing the same residue that was mentioned here.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Wrap-18-x-100/product-reviews/B005UQKPIQ

This also happened to me with Road Wrap.

I tried a cling wrap material on my Cobra and it lifted at the edges and made flappies in the wind that caused some damage to the clear coat.

+1 Had to pull over a few times and keep cutting it off. NEVER AGAIN.

As you can see see...some have used it and had no issues...so good luck!

I believe mine was "Road Wrap". No issues at normal highway speeds and it was packed full of bugs on the lower extremities when I got to where I was going. As I said earlier, I had washed and waxed the areas pretty good I applied the wrap prior to the trip and sprayed it down and did a good wipe with spray detailer after I took it off and had no issues or problems. I don't know but maybe the "Race Wrap" is sticker for higher speeds and leave more residue, but I had no problem with what I used.

I've used the Road Wrap in combination with the blue painters tape on 2 long road trips. Like others have said you have to keep the edges trimmed or they flap in the wind at highway speeds and can damage the clear coat. Here is a few pics of my Boss wrapped up on a trip from South Carolina to Iowa last year, about 1,200 miles. That tape up job took me about 2 hours to do. I now have X-Pel Invisible bra on the car, so that is my protection on long road trips going forward.

roadwrap1-1.jpg

roadwrap2.jpg

roadwrap3.jpg

On my sons 2012 Boss and my SGT we used Road wrap on a trip from Ontario to Carlisle in 2013,we both had problems the edges flapped in the wind and damaged the clear coat. Had to have them wet sanded and buffed.They came out perfect we were lucky.(had it done by a professional didn't trust myself)

Based on this it sounds like it has the same problem that the white film did. The material is great though for use as a "fender guard" (or anywhere else you're working on the car). In fact it's the same material that Shelby uses to protect the cars while in their shop. It sticks well but the edge lift is a killer. I think I'll just ship. Driving round trip and renting the trailer is about $800, shipping via Intercity is about $1100...

Has anybody tried Custom Shield by Armor All? It's a spray on / peel off spray in a can type thing.

I have read both good and bad about this on my detailing forum. Biggest problem has been trying to remove it. Most have said that it has not just pealed off like a sheet the way they show it. Not sure if it has been a problem with not spraying it on thick enough or what, but they have said it has taken hours to peal off and remove it entirely. Just wanted to put that out there and help.

I have used road warrior with good luck. You roll it on with a small soft roller. Goes on like white elmers glue and dries clear with a texture. Wet a towel and go over protectant and peel off.

That looks good but have to ask how thick is it when on there. Is it enough that you think if a rock was going to hit it it would prevent it from chipping the paint? Maybe I'm wrong and its geared more toward like bugs, rubber and crap? I ask because wonder how this would be in the winter for my daily driver that gets nailed by road salt.

That looks good but have to ask how thick is it when on there. Is it enough that you think if a rock was going to hit it it would prevent it from chipping the paint? Maybe I'm wrong and its geared more toward like bugs, rubber and crap? I ask because wonder how this would be in the winter for my daily driver that gets nailed by road salt.

Not for wet applications or daily driver in my opinion. Good for long dry drives. You can add as many coats. Not sure if any of the films can hold up to rocks. Small pebbles I think it would absorb the impact .

Not for wet applications or daily driver in my opinion. Good for long dry drives. You can add as many coats. Not sure if any of the films can hold up to rocks. Small pebbles I think it would absorb the impact .

Thanks, what I wondered.

• 5 weeks later...

After reading everyone's experiences and other info that I found, I decided to use the Road Warrior Plus. This stuff is awesome! I applied it before my trip up to Charlotte for the 50th celebration and I could not be happier with the way it went on, how it performed and how easy it was to remove. It was scary at first looking at the white material thinking I am going to paint my car with this stuff using a roller! But it went on as advertised and came off just as they said it would. The only thing I would do different is to use painters tape to make a line where you want the stuff to stop. I did this when i painted the stripes on the roof but not not not the hood. When I painted the hood first, as I painted the material on with the roller, it feathered out toward the edges. This made getting the feathered part off more difficult than the material I applied on the roof. I highly recommend it!

Archived