TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock 2007 Shelby Gt500

I bought my 2007 Shelby GT500 last September with 7,900 miles on it....Love the car! The GT500 is all stock. I need advice. I am considering one of two upgrades next month. First option is to upgrade the SVT suspension to the Ford Shelby GT500 Handling Pack - M-FR3-MSVTA. The second option is to install the VMP Power PAK consisting o a JBL CAI, 2.50" pulley, SCT Tuner w/Tune, and a 90MM replacement idler to take up belt slack and improve belt wrap. One important variable is that I live in Colorado Springs Colorado where the altitude is approximately 6500.

post-41906-0-14020400-1394378525_thumb.jpg

definitely do the suspension. can't go wrong with the ford racing kit. however, i'd skip the smaller pulley myself. i had that combo initially, but ended up getting rid of it later. The smaller pulley spins the stock supercharger too much and generates a lot of additional heat, not accounted for by the SVT engineers, which means the engine heat soaks quickly, the computer pulls timing and power gets reduced. so you may want to go with another ford racing kit... perhaps the TVS or Whipple upgrade, both of which are more efficient when compared to a pulley-ed Eaton and will give you the bigger HP numbers without the huge heat increase. to put a nail in the heat coffin, i'd still budget money for an upgraded heat exchanger, regardless. if altitude becomes an issue with a ford racing tune, you can always get a customized tune file from VMP or Jon Lund to compensate. good luck!

oh, and don't forget to swap out the crankshaft damper. 2007 was the first year of this platform and they used a heavy 22lb damper that they later changed to a 12lb version (and they recommend changing if you mod the engine for more power). it's another ford racing part that's easy to find.

definitely do the suspension. can't go wrong with the ford racing kit. however, i'd skip the smaller pulley myself. i had that combo initially, but ended up getting rid of it later. The smaller pulley spins the stock supercharger too much and generates a lot of additional heat, not accounted for by the SVT engineers, which means the engine heat soaks quickly, the computer pulls timing and power gets reduced. so you may want to go with another ford racing kit... perhaps the TVS or Whipple upgrade, both of which are more efficient when compared to a pulley-ed Eaton and will give you the bigger HP numbers without the huge heat increase. to put a nail in the heat coffin, i'd still budget money for an upgraded heat exchanger, regardless. if altitude becomes an issue with a ford racing tune, you can always get a customized tune file from VMP or Jon Lund to compensate. good luck!

+1 on suspension. Also agree you can do the smaller pulley as long as you upgrade your heat exchanger to an extreme duty as well. Otherwise you'll be a victim of heat soak. This is a lot cheaper than going with a new supercharger. Really depends what your ultimate goal is (and how deep your pockets are).

I've got the FRPP suspension on my '08. It's adjustable. I have mine set about at the middle of all settings and the ride is quite good. You can tighten or loosen to your taste and still be able to adjust for road course or strip as necessary. If you intend a specific use rather than general use there are better, more specific products.

Next, get a better heat exchanger. Then get the blower upgrade.

Also, Phill Pollard (2010KonaBlueGT) lives in Colorado Springs. He may have some tips.

Steve

I would not be affraid of the smaller pulley at this altitude. To build the same boost at this altitude as stock at sea level, a reduced pulley is pretty mandatory. The heat exchanger is definitely a good idea, but the smaller pulley will not increase the heat as much at this altitude as it does lower as the boost is not increased near as much. Something that pretty much can only be understood by people who have to deal with the altitude. I put my first smaller pulley on in 1993 on my Vorteched Lightning and have been doing it every since on any of my supercharged vehicles. Usually just to match sea level boost levels, and then sometimes a little more.... :drop:

makes sense that if the air is less dense higher up, then the supercharger would have to spin faster to get an equivalent amount of boost pressure. however, i'm not convinced about the heat buildup not being an issue. mechanically speaking, the supercharger is going to generate more friction and heat the faster it spins, regardless of the altitude. it may well be within the engineering tolerance of the overall cooling system, but it's still going to eventually reach a higher operating temperature, which the ECU is going to attempt to compensate for by pulling timing (and cutting power). a pulley-ed Eaton is going to blow air into the engine that is as much as 55 degrees hotter than normal. that is not a byproduct of boost pressure, but of mechanical friction.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but an 07 with 7900 miles? Mine rolled over 40k last September on the way back from Williamsburg, VA......... Mine is stone stock--mechanically and while I'd like a little more umph, I'm happy with where she is. Not planning on it ever seeing the track, but as a grand touring car--there are few equals! Heading to Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks--top down baby!

Mod, don't mod, whatever you do.......enjoy it!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but an 07 with 7900 miles? Mine rolled over 40k last September on the way back from Williamsburg, VA......... Mine is stone stock--mechanically and while I'd like a little more umph, I'm happy with where she is. Not planning on it ever seeing the track, but as a grand touring car--there are few equals! Heading to Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks--top down baby!

Mod, don't mod, whatever you do.......enjoy it!

well said. the GT500 is exactly that...a GT (Grand Touring) vehicle. it's NOT a sports car. so comparing it to a Z06, for example, is an apples-to-oranges comparison. nothing wrong with trying to get everything you can out of the car, but also nothing wrong with enjoying it for exactly what it is. so many people get torqued up over horsepower ratings, performance numbers, etcetera, but the real value and uniqueness of any car is the overall experience it provides to the driver's senses.

Definetly go with the FRPP complete suspension package with adjustable struts. Put it on last summer and love love love it. Honestly car turns and carves as well as a BMW m3. No BS. If I knew how good this track pack is, I would have insisted the dealer put it on when I bought the car! I would then go with the JLT setup, it flat out works and customer service and company is one of the best I ever dealt with, and there products are reasonable. Any ques feel free to ask.

Definetly go with the FRPP complete suspension package with adjustable struts. Put it on last summer and love love love it. Honestly car turns and carves as well as a BMW m3. No BS. If I knew how good this track pack is, I would have insisted the dealer put it on when I bought the car! I would then go with the JLT setup, it flat out works and customer service and company is one of the best I ever dealt with, and there products are reasonable. Any ques feel free to ask.

If you don't mind me asking do you remember what the cost was for the entire FRPP package and adjustable struts, Thanks Rob

Think about "rotational mass". The damper is a great start. The drive-shaft is another. Try to go carbon fiber with the drive-shaft. Brake rotors are another area to look into if you want to shed rotational mass.

Thought I recognized that sig pic. One our favorite places!

IMO, first mod should be to swap stock damper for an 08' damper, then suspension and finally add power.

Keep us posted

Yes, the picture was taken at the Air Force Academy. I work there, great place. Also, than-you for the feedback.

well said. the GT500 is exactly that...a GT (Grand Touring) vehicle. it's NOT a sports car. so comparing it to a Z06, for example, is an apples-to-oranges comparison. nothing wrong with trying to get everything you can out of the car, but also nothing wrong with enjoying it for exactly what it is. so many people get torqued up over horsepower ratings, performance numbers, etcetera, but the real value and uniqueness of any car is the overall experience it provides to the driver's senses.ThthI

I couldn't be more happier with my GT500. I grew up loving the Mustangs and I have some many more options to customize the car versus a Corvette. Grand Touring comment, Funny and quick story about Grand Touring...I live in Colorado Springs. Every Thursday or Friday I take my wife to dinner either in Denver or Pueblo, both are 45 minute one way drives. My wife gets a nice dinner, and I get to drive my Shelby....and spend time with the wife...

i'd go with simply adding a cold-air kit if you are on a budget or a supercharger upgrade if money is no object. a heat exchanger is good in all cases since the OEM exchanger on 2007-09 GT500s is barely adequate for any kind of spirited driving, regardless of your mod level.

oh, and don't forget to swap out the crankshaft damper. 2007 was the first year of this platform and they used a heavy 22lb damper that they later changed to a 12lb version (and they recommend changing if you mod the engine for more power). it's another ford racing part that's easy to find.

Thank-you for the feedback. I will be purchasing the JBL CAI and SCT/w tune from VMP. I am going to make gradual changes to the car. I guess after reading many of the threads it defiantly provided me more information to make a informative decision.

Archived