TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So Now I'm Down A Different Super Snake Wheel Path............

These arrived last week, they are the "current" 2007-2014 GT500 Super Snake wheels...........

013_zps9a5aedd6.jpg

This is what my 2008 Torch Red/Black striped should look like with this set up.............(except I have the block-off plates currently on my 1/4 windows).......

From the current Shelby "Build One"...........

back_zps18e6d812.jpg

ssgt500thumb_zps259063d4.png

I am working on getting the correct TPMS sensors to work with these wheels, I am not sure exactly what is currently inside of these wheels except that they are 2013 which are not the same MHz as the earlier cars.

R

What are your plans with your black alcoas?

I just found a set of black stem/black nut oem style TPMS sensors for them and my plan is to move my original Pirelli P Zero's from the Super Snake upgrade over to those wheels and use them from time to time, just for a change in look.

R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

+1

Who sells these wheels?

Mine are 2013/14 Super Snake take-off's. The owner was sending his car back for a widebody so the tires and wheels would be changed and he put his original wheels and tires up for sale.

As for who makes this style of wheel, I believe the company is Hyperstangs, or at least they are an authorized dealer for these wheels?

Actually here is a link..............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HyperStangs-Signature-Shelby-GT500-Performance-Wheels-/281323890513

^^^^I did not realize the cost of a new set.................WOW! I got a good deal on these original Super Snake take-offs!

R

Mine are 2013/14 Super Snake take-off's. The owner was sending his car back for a widebody so the tires and wheels would be changed and he put his original wheels and tires up for sale.

As for who makes this style of wheel, I believe the company is Hyperstangs, or at least they are an authorized dealer for these wheels?

Actually here is a link..............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HyperStangs-Signature-Shelby-GT500-Performance-Wheels-/281323890513

^^^^I did not realize the cost of a new set.................WOW! I got a good deal on these original Super Snake take-offs!

R

Thanks for that link, I think for that kind of bread I would go with a wheel maker with some lineage, like a ForgeLine or TrueForged, never heard of Hyperstangs..their eBay rating is ZERO and their website is also inoperative.

www.hyperstangs.com

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I am working on getting the correct TPMS sensors to work with these wheels, I am not sure exactly what is currently inside of these wheels except that they are 2013 which are not the same MHz as the earlier cars.

These wheels have 2x valve stems per wheel. a normal valve stem, and a shortened, special made valve stem on the inner most diameter for your TPMS sensor. The special made stem is shortened because of the parking brake cable that attaches to the rear calipers. If a normal length valve stem is used on the TPMS sensor on the rear wheels, it will slowly cut into your parking brake cable with every revolution (speaking from experience).

Talk to Jeremy at SPP. He knows the correct sensor you should have, as I am currently ordering some as well for my '13 SS.

These wheels have 2x valve stems per wheel. a normal valve stem, and a shortened, special made valve stem on the inner most diameter for your TPMS sensor. The special made stem is shortened because of the parking brake cable that attaches to the rear calipers. If a normal length valve stem is used on the TPMS sensor on the rear wheels, it will slowly cut into your parking brake cable with every revolution (speaking from experience).

Talk to Jeremy at SPP. He knows the correct sensor you should have, as I am currently ordering some as well for my '13 SS.

The shorter valve stem in the middle area of the wheel has to be short to clear big brake calipers, and allow for easier access to air the tire.

So far I have bolted a front wheel on, and if it had a regular tall bolt together valve stem as is used on the TPMS, it would hit my Baer caliper. The rear/inner location on my wheels is a modified TPMS stem that has been plugged and on the end of it (inside the tire) is the TPMS sensor. It appears that this is the only function of that inner most hole, to insert some sort of a plug with a TPMS mounted sensor on the end, inside the tire.

As for putting something tall in that inner hole, yes, it could definitely come in contact during tire revolutions, that is why Shelby modded/shortened an existing TPMS stem for that inner position.

R

Interesting, looking forward to seeing the updated install also what stems and were to purchase, to make this work. I wonder why they used two stems and not just one.

From what I understand, the TPMS sensor has to be installed to sit in the side wall of the wheel. One stem is on the inside of the wheel spokes and that is where you inflate the tires. The 2nd, shorter stem is on the inner edge of the wheel and has to be shortened in the rear to keep it from cutting into the parking brake cable.

Here is the reason for the two stem set up on the Hyperstangs......

Shown on the left is a Chrome bolt together stem that is very similar to what is installed just behind the spokes/center on the Hyperstang Super Snake wheel, on the right is an oem TPMS stem/sensor assy............

001_zpspturrudh.jpg

Here are the two side-by-side aligned at their mounting surfaces. Even though the oem TPMS may be considered short, it is tall in comparison to the S409 Milton chrome bolt together stem, sorry the picture is a little blurred............

002_zpsmewggcqy.jpg

Not the best close-up for a visual, but if a taller oem TPMS stem would have been installed instead of a shorter stem, it would have hit my big brake caliper on each revolution, it is that close......

010_zpsc95c595b.jpg

^^^^^^In the picture above, I am pretty sure that Hyperstang wheel was installed when I still had the original 14" Baer front rotors, since then I have installed the 15" rotor upgrade which has moved the caliper even closer (by 1/2") to the valve stem/wheel.

So the goal with the Hyperstang wheels (or at least this style of HS wheel) is to have a clean look on the face of the wheel (no valve stem), but also have a somewhat easy access for air fill, which can be accessed just behind the spokes BUT...........they also have to have a TPMS provision for the applications that have TPMS, so the second (rear) hole gives provision for that second stem as a plug on a non-TPMS car or a TPMS holder for the TPMS cars.

^^^^^All of this being said, the valve stem has to rotated to a position where it is not in line with the caliper or there would be no room to install an air chuck for filling..............all the cost (or price) for a clean looking wheel face.

R

Well that seems dumb to have two valve stems, even if one was for TPMS. I mean most TPMS will have the vale stem plus sensor, so why have second valve stem?

Ok well one could use a flush mount valve stem and would have zero chance of rubbing anything and a short TPMS. Or for that matter us with older GT500's could use two flush valve stem systems, and use the bands with the TPMS. Hhmm just a thought. Would give the ultimate clean look and have absolutely no chance of rubbing.

post-35652-0-12308000-1470014251_thumb.jpeg

From the above pic Robert, it appears you got your 2010 mirrors installed ?

Are you happy???

Chris

No, not on my 2008 yet. The 2010-up mirrors and the CF covers for them are still in boxes for a future project/install. <<<Maybe one day...........

R

Well that seems dumb to have two valve stems, even if one was for TPMS. I mean most TPMS will have the vale stem plus sensor, so why have second valve stem?

Ok well one could use a flush mount valve stem and would have zero chance of rubbing anything and a short TPMS. Or for that matter us with older GT500's could use two flush valve stem systems, and use the bands with the TPMS. Hhmm just a thought. Would give the ultimate clean look and have absolutely no chance of rubbing.

I agree with you, believe me. It was odd to see two stems when I received those wheels. I had not notice the lack of a stem on the face when I bought them.

Here is what is now available from Shelby for a short TPMS, but I don't see anything electronics related, nor do I see a lock nut that would thread on and hold this stem in place on the rim when the cap is removed?.......Is it just a holder for the sensor and the cap shown in the picture actually fastens this stem/holder in place? IDK?...........

http://www.shelbystore.com/Wheel-Sensor-p/shorttpms.htm

The center/spoke area of these 3-piece bolt together Hyperstang wheels is somewhat tall, so to get an air chuck on the stem it will require that the stem have some height (but not enough to hit the big brakes), a flush stem in this area would make it very difficult to air these rims. A flush stem on the inside may work, as long as it is TPMS, but filling from the rear/inner stem would require getting under the car.

Below is a picture from a current thread on this forum which shows the valve stem just behind the spoke area. Like I said, without it sticking up, it would be hard to get an air chuck on it...........but it is also in line with the brake caliper. <<This is usually not such a big deal on the rear because the brakes are smaller in most cases, but on the front is where it gets tight..........

post-46635-0-73630800-1469974711_zpskjqu

If someone made a short metal bolt-together stem that was also TPMS, that would be the answer to this, but I have not found that type of stem yet. I believe that bolt-together stems are preferred, especially in the area shown above, for ease of installation.

R

These stems go in and when you want to fill air you take top cap off and screw the stem in fill, then unscrew stem, and screw cap on. They work well

Oh, ok, that is nice. I have looked at the flush mount stems, but I did not know they were also TPMS holders.

Another question as it relates to TPMS...........Are the MHz on the earlier cars different from the MHz communicating in the newer Mustang TPMS? I have heard it is different. If it is different, are there band type TPMS sensors for the newer Mustangs with the correct MHz? <<<If not, the only option for the newer cars is a stem mount TPMS set-up, which brings us back to where we first started............

-----------------------------------------------------------

I looked back through my pictures and found this one showing the rear side of these Hyperstang wheels..............

004_zpsbb64b1e7.jpg

^^^^If there is a difference in the TPMS communication MHz, these wheels were originally installed on a 2013 Super Snake, so they would be the newer MHz sensors. The valve stem at the bottom and the TPMS "stub" 180 degrees at the top. Without pulling out one of these wheels and looking at the exact placement of the TPMS stub, I am pretty sure it is almost on a curved portion of the rim and not on a wide flat surface as is the case with the fill stem.

R

Without pulling out one of these wheels and looking at the exact placement of the TPMS stub, I am pretty sure it is almost on a curved portion of the rim and not on a wide flat surface as is the case with the fill stem.

You are correct. The TPMS is on the stub stem on the top of your wheel in the picture. At least it is on my 2013 SS with the same wheels.

You are correct. The TPMS is on the stub stem on the top of your wheel in the picture. At least it is on my 2013 SS with the same wheels.

So could the stem in the link below be used for a cleaner look and replace the modified/plugged oem stem that is currently installed? I looked at the TPMS stems on mine and they appear to be an oem stem that has been cut off and plugged in the middle. The pieces in the link below look like they could be a clean replacement for the same function, holding the TPMS sensor(s) ? I think?

R

So could the stem in the link below be used for a cleaner look and replace the modified/plugged oem stem that is currently installed? I looked at the TPMS stems on mine and they appear to be an oem stem that has been cut off and plugged in the middle. The pieces in the link below look like they could be a clean replacement for the same function, holding the TPMS sensor(s) ? I think?

R

When I first requested an replacement for the stub stem, SPP sent me the part in that link. Unfortunately, they had earlier installed the wrong TPMS with a longer stem. Finally they later sent me the correct stub stem in your link and the correct TPMS.

Archived