TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sai Coolant Tanks

KRKevin

To pretty up my ride for the Bash this year I purchased the SAI Coolant tanks. I can see that the drivers side hoses will not line up. I don't want to cut the factory hoses and I don't think the bends would work even if I did. What is the best solution? Thanks!

You would think the outlet would be in the same place as factory,there is room for it.I think you could use a hose with a 90 bend and connect a short piece to factory hose.I found a short 90 hope this works if it does I'll let you know.

The change in position of the outlet makes no sense and yes it makes it a bit more difficult.When they make the other 2 tanks a no brainier why change the other.I understand why the upper hose needs trimmed its because the tank is larger.I just finished installing my shelby fuel rails last night so now time for coolant tanks.

I ran into the same problem on my 2011 GT500 and had a concern of the bottom hose to the pump become kinked. At that point I just pulled the front facia, bought and installed the new Shelby dual fan intercooler, which led to a front brake duct cooling, with custom fab lower grille, front and rear brake upgrade, one piece alum driveshaft, new air intake, Ford racing throttle body, Borla exhaust, 2.7 pulley and on, and on ,and on. And to think it all started with the coolant tanks. A nice way to spend the cold winter evenings in my home shop though. Dyno'd at 558 RWHP at altitude, in July. Not bad.

The change in position of the outlet makes no sense and yes it makes it a bit more difficult.When they make the other 2 tanks a no brainier why change the other.I understand why the upper hose needs trimmed its because the tank is larger.I just finished installing my shelby fuel rails last night so now time for coolant tanks.

It's important to remember, we sell what we use to modify cars here at the shop. So we move that outlet to accommodate a Super Snake conversion, where it makes PERFECT sense.

THIS set is for the stock GT500 setup: http://www.shelbystore.com/Extreme-Duty-Reservoir-Tank-p/z12-gt5-hpa001c.htm

Stock outlet locations, but harder to plumb with a cooling system upgrade.

Jer

Jeff,

Thanks for the phonecall, yes, I realized afterwards that you are referring to the 2009 setup.

Here are some pix I just took of the upper and lower hose routing on our GT500KR prototype here in the Heritage Center (see below).

Jer

tank1.jpgtank2.jpg

Thanks Jer for taking time to talk to me today.I have a few pictures so you can see what the difference is with the new design.The pictures you took are a big help and wish my tank had the lower outlet as shown.

image.jpg

image.jpg

After pulling facia it's clear that a new hose will be much easier than adding a 90 to the existing hose.I found the hose that came with my shelby heat exchanger that I didn't need and this will work fine.Dayco part#80416.I have a few pics of the route I'll use and I'll use some loom from factory hose to protect hose from rubbing.I also found the upper inlet hose will just need a slight trim and will work fine.Hope this helps in your install.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I do think that it will help. At least I now understand for certain that it is not just a plug and play. Thanks all. I hope this does not turn out to be a zillion $$ set of tanks like it was for cmcmotorworks!

I do think that it will help. At least I now understand for certain that it is not just a plug and play. Thanks all. I hope this does not turn out to be a zillion $$ set of tanks like it was for cmcmotorworks!

The Zillion $$ I spent in parts was more than offset by the value of the therapy sessions I had with the car.

Archived