TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kr Power Package From Shelby

KR POWER PACKAGE FROM SAI  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you send your KR to SAI for numbered Power Package?

2. 2. I'd want the Power Package to include;

• TVS
    • Larger Intercooler
    • Lowering Springs
    • Lower Control Arms
    • Watts Link
    • Gary Disney Leather Recaros w KR Embroidery on 07-09 Bases
    • Special Interior Badging
    • Certificate of Authenticity From SAI
    • Engine Dress Up
    • Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
    • All of The Above
  3. 3. What would you spend for a KR Power Package?

• 5-7 thousand
    • 7-10 thousand
    • 10-15 thousand
    • 15-20 thousand
    • 20-25 thousand
    • Above

I modded my 08 because I wanted to make a great car even better. (and yes, I did keep all of the stock parts)

By the time I'm done with mine, It'll be the most and best used KR on the planet...the race is on to be the first one to 100k on the odo... :shift:

Its been to Europe and back, and loads of track days at Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Fontana, Spring Mountain, Las Vegas Motor Speedway...

And I could give a flying flip what it'll be worth, because I don't care! I'm having too much fun with it

Now if anyone wants a pristine showroom condition, 100% stock in RED, then I've got an 09 you can have for 60k

I modded my 08 because I wanted to make a great car even better. (and yes, I did keep all of the stock parts)

By the time I'm done with mine, It'll be the most and best used KR on the planet...the race is on to be the first one to 100k on the odo... :shift:

Its been to Europe and back, and loads of track days at Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Fontana, Spring Mountain, Las Vegas Motor Speedway...

And I could give a flying flip what it'll be worth, because I don't care! I'm having too much fun with it

Now if anyone wants a pristine showroom condition, 100% stock in RED, then I've got an 09 you can have for 60k

Best approach. +1.

It will be worth what it will be worth. Enjoy it. You paid for it!

Frank:

Actually my suggestion was that SAI put a package together with certificate and sell to the customers for install. While having the parts installed at Shelby is great.... for guys out east it was just impractical and too costly. Since the cars are no longer under warranty the requirement that they be modded at SAI is moot.

I even tried to convince SAI to send techs to the Hall of Kings at Carlisle PA to install KR "power paks" on pre-sold paks to 10 or so guys. I had some guys lined up to do it. They could have dropped shipped all the parts a' la' the Ford GT Guys (they do this all the time) and flew 3 techs out, rented a four post lift and made everyone happy, made a pile of dough, impressed the crowds with the installs, great publicity. Any other company looking for a great way to market themselves at one of the largest car venues on the east coast and their products would have jumped on the opportunity IMHO.

SAI just had excuses why they couldn't do it. I threw up my hands and walked away. They follwed this and seems like they thanked me with a KR wheel dump for the effort.

Do I seem disgusted?

Finally Real One the ugly truth comes out! Your negotiations with SAI ultimately led to the KR wheel's dispersal. Please, please for the love of God stop talking to SAI. What'll be next $500 KR cf hoods? Lol, just kidding.

Frank:

Actually my suggestion was that SAI put a package together with certificate and sell to the customers for install. While having the parts installed at Shelby is great.... for guys out east it was just impractical and too costly. Since the cars are no longer under warranty the requirement that they be modded at SAI is moot.

I even tried to convince SAI to send techs to the Hall of Kings at Carlisle PA to install KR "power paks" on pre-sold paks to 10 or so guys. I had some guys lined up to do it. They could have dropped shipped all the parts a' la' the Ford GT Guys (they do this all the time) and flew 3 techs out, rented a four post lift and made everyone happy, made a pile of dough, impressed the crowds with the installs, great publicity. Any other company looking for a great way to market themselves at one of the largest car venues on the east coast and their products would have jumped on the opportunity IMHO.

SAI just had excuses why they couldn't do it. I threw up my hands and walked away. They follwed this and seems like they thanked me with a KR wheel dump for the effort.

Do I seem disgusted?

Ha ! I was under no delusion this would fly. Just trying to gauge interest from the KR group on a website with "enthusiastic" owners. The enthusiasim has left the building. :) I think we all know why. Your idea was brilliant by the way. Would have been a license to print money and get fab PR at the same time.

Frank: My enthusiam for SAI has certainly left the building after many many years of being an avid proponent.

My enthusiam for Carroll Shelby, the history, and all the great iconic cars he spawned lives on in me and i am sure all here too. This includes the KR. I will continue to be as good an ambassador for his cars and his automotive accomplishments until I'm pushing up the daiseys.

I haven't confused the former with the latter.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the last three + years modding my 07 and dumping a ton of money into it to the point of numbness. That's why I sold it and bought the KR, I'm through modding. It's going to be nice to be able to walk into my garage and not wonder what I'm going to change next.

I think the KR is fine the way it is, and if anyone is going to keep dumping money into one...they might as well trade it in for a SS.

AK.

• 5 weeks later...

And the winner is........ 09KR0287 with 105,583 miles.

And the winner is........ 09KR0287 with 105,583 miles.

Wow really? Would be nice to know what maintenance issues the owner had along that time. I mean, 500+ hp driven for 100k miles with no major issues would be very impressive.

I agree. I would also be curious to know how the stripes, interior touch points ,clutch or clutches etc held up. I envy the lucky owner to go that far in a KR. Would love to here from him/her.

It is a black on black car. It is hard to tell but the stripes look great. A few paint chips up front. Rear bumper has a scratch. Drivers seat looks used but still ok. Passenger side front rotor looks ruff. It has an SS front splitter on it. I don't know anything about the drivetrain yet.

Over all it looks really good for all those miles.

Edit.

Wow the guy put 30,000 miles on it the first year.

10/9/08

NICB Vehicle manufactured

and shipped to original dealer

12/11/08

5 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Pre-delivery inspection completed

State inspection completed

VIN glass etching

Front license plate bracket installed/replaced

Washed/detailed

5/18/09

Online Listing Vehicle offered for sale

12/1/09

12 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Pre-delivery inspection completed

Engine electrical system checked

Anti-theft/keyless device/alarm installed

12/11/09

45 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Vehicle sold

12/30/09

Texas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Hondo, TX

Title #01501840175091423 Registration issued or renewed

Titled or registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

Passed safety inspection

Vehicle color noted as Black

1/8/10

5,010 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Maintenance inspection completed

Oil and filter changed

Battery/charging system checked

Brakes checked

1/8/10

Texas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Hondo, TX

Title #01501840175091423 Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Loan or lien reported

4/3/10

12,431 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Brakes checked

9/13/10

25,128 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Brakes checked

12/3/10

30,448 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

State inspection completed

Rear brakes serviced/adjusted

State safety inspection completed

Brakes checked

Four tires mounted and balanced

3/30/11

38,106 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Brakes checked

8/15/11

48,336 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

10/1/11

Texas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Hondo, TX

Loan or lien reported

Passed safety inspection

12/7/11

57,372 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Fuel filter replaced

12/31/11

58,905 mi.

Cecil Atkission Ford

Hondo, TX

830-426-5391

State safety inspection completed

3/1/12

63,620 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Brakes checked

Two tires mounted and balanced

5/31/12

71,602 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Induction system serviced

Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed

9/7/12

78,810 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Brakes checked

10/1/12

Texas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Hondo, TX

Loan or lien reported

Passed safety inspection

10/15/12

82,660 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Brakes checked

12/6/12

85,111 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Rear brakes serviced/adjusted

Fuel filter replaced

Brakes checked

5/7/13

97,101 mi.

Red McCombs Ford West

San Antonio, TX

210-555-5555

Oil and filter changed

Tire repaired

Brakes checked

Tire condition and pressure checked

Impressive. Aside from some longer spans between oil changes than I would do, the record looks good (first change at 5,000 miles, then 12k and 13k for the next two changes).

My next question would be: what do you think a 105,000 mile KR would sell for? $25,000? $30,000? Either way, a $20-$25,000 devaluation compared to fair-market-value on a 2009 low-mileage example would equate to a fairly reasonable usage cost (cost-per-mile)...especially when you factor it being a fairly exotic 500+hp muscle car.

In other words, think of the amount of (driving) enjoyment this owner had with his KR compared to the relatively low (driving) enjoyment that most other's have had. It's money well spent, and supports the argument that people should be using these cars for what they're meant for.

Agree with JDB - If I live to see it, I would put just as many miles on my KR because Carroll built these cars to drive and not sit in a garage.

JMHO - That being said, I do most of the maintenance myself and keeping track of all upgrade/maintenece actions, save any parts removed (and I have a lot).

Have a great weekend all.

Fred

My next question would be: what do you think a 105,000 mile KR would sell for? $25,000? $30,000?

It is for sale at a dealership for $37,000. The guy is an A$$. They never responded to my email so I called. He hung up on me before we could even start to negotiate. I was going to start at $25 and that was before I even saw your post. :)

He started his sales pitch about how wonderful the KR was. I said I know I have one.

His tone changed.

I asked a couple more questions about the condition of the drivetrain. Then I said, $37 for a 100,000 mile car is a little high when if you look hard enough you can find one in the low 40s with less than 10,000.

That's when he hung up on me :)

FWIW, it would be fun to have a high-mileage second KR in your second-favorite color to not worry about mileage. I would also take it to Elkhart Lake on occasion...whereas I otherwise would be too scared that my vista blue might end up like this:

02_03_13_KR_Dead.jpg

I wouldn't pay much more than $25,000 for a car with over 100,000 miles either. That's a lot of miles. Keep in mind that the only 2 buyers for that car are existing KR owners looking for a second to beat on, or guys that don't have the money to get into a typical KR. Neither of those buyers are going to spend a lot for that car.

Archived