TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kr Power Package From Shelby

KR POWER PACKAGE FROM SAI  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you send your KR to SAI for numbered Power Package?

2. 2. I'd want the Power Package to include;

• TVS
    • Larger Intercooler
    • Lowering Springs
    • Lower Control Arms
    • Watts Link
    • Gary Disney Leather Recaros w KR Embroidery on 07-09 Bases
    • Special Interior Badging
    • Certificate of Authenticity From SAI
    • Engine Dress Up
    • Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft
    • All of The Above
  3. 3. What would you spend for a KR Power Package?

• 5-7 thousand
    • 7-10 thousand
    • 10-15 thousand
    • 15-20 thousand
    • 20-25 thousand
    • Above

Frankly I think that ship has sailed on something like this considering the total KR production # and in all likely a small percentage would be interested. But that's just my opinion.

It would only let me pick one thing under the power package options.

There is already the KR up fitters package. I have only seen two KRs with it.

Sorry fixed that.

Isn't the up fitter's package just a different interior with no number or certification?

The KR Upfitter Pkg. that I was referring to included the FRPP TVS, Shelby Extreme front brakes, CF rockers and GT500KR embroidered front floor mats for $16k. 20" Dura Brite Shelby Forged engraved wheels were available for an additional charge.

KR upfitter

6 piston front brakes and rear rotor and pad upgrade.

Carbon Fiber rockers

KR door sill

Embroidered floor mats

605 HP Ford Racing Supercharger

Gauge pod with signature series gauges

$16,800

20" wheels for extra $$$

I don't know if they even offer this package anymore.

I my opinion not enough HP in this package. I don't need anymore dress up. Give me HP and handling.

I agree Sheppd01 that it wasn't a good value for what you got. I had forgotten about a couple of those items in the pkg. I've added most of them myself and have way less money wrapped up in them than $16800. The way I see it the KR should have come with most of these items anyway seeing what the KR pkg. costed compared to getting a GT500 SS'd.

Would love the opportunity to beat the 2013-14 662hp ShelbyGT500 to truly make the 08-09 KR the "King." Match the power with suspension upgrades,certify the upgrade, keep it around $10k plus shipping and I would be interested.

ShelbyKR664 you can do that now. Just send the car back to SAI and have them install whatever you want. You'll have your mods as well as all the paperwork of them performing the work and it will be in the registery. This way individuals can pick which changes they wish to make and still have their cars worked on by SAI if that's important to them for provenance. For me it's not worth the chance of damage or cost to ship my cars back and forth across the country to do something I enjoy doing myself. My son's will always remember driving and wrenching on the KRs with me long after I'm gone. If they want them 100% stock they can convert them back themselves. One ride after the TVS though and your stock KR will seem slow!

I already have the TVS, Watts Link, Door sill plates, LCA...

Engine dress up kit....no thanks, I keep my hood down as all these cars all pretty much look the same under hood anyways.

But some 20 inch "KR" scripted wheels for show would be cool

ShelbyKR664 you can do that now. Just send the car back to SAI and have them install whatever you want. You'll have your mods as well as all the paperwork of them performing the work and it will be in the registery. This way individuals can pick which changes they wish to make and still have their cars worked on by SAI if that's important to them for provenance. For me it's not worth the chance of damage or cost to ship my cars back and forth across the country to do something I enjoy doing myself. My son's will always remember driving and wrenching on the KRs with me long after I'm gone. If they want them 100% stock they can convert them back themselves. One ride after the TVS though and your stock KR will seem slow!

08KR525, your right. I actually inquired about this with SA around the time I bought my car. My car came from TX so shipping to Vegas then back to VA was feasible. Believe it or not, the rep I spoke to recommended I leave the car alone. I didn't know enough to inquire about an up fitter package. I was so anxious to get the car (which sheppd01 located for me) home, I really did not push it. Like yourself, I enjoy doing the doable work myself. I would solicit expert help though on the TVS. I don't want a belt flying through that hood. I have read this upgrade changes the car into a full blown beast. I am planning on adding a watts link to plant the rear. I just added the 20"Alcoa's. I also like the idea of the bigger brakes F/R. I want to get the most bang for the buck on the upgrades. If I wanted to take it back to stock, it would be a weekend job. I am still looking for a set of the KR center caps . I would be curious if they do still offer the up fitters package though.

The ship sailed long ago? Ironic that the SS conversion program is still ongoing at Shelby. SAI/Ford killed the interest in the KR. As I've mentioned before, who would dump money into a Shelby for exclusivity after what has transpired with the KR?

While this small poll proves little, it certainly indicates the shine has been knocked off the KR. Because if the car was still exclusive, I would think people would ante up for a Shelby power package.

Shine knocked off the KR ? What are you basing your opinion on ?

The KR will forever remain exclusive because only 1723 of them were built. The "enhanced" package adds nothing to it in my opinion. The KR will have it's place in Shelby history as being one of the "must haves" in it's original configuration.

The only thing SA really wanted the car to have that they didn't get, was the TVS. Ford put the kabosh on that.

I don't get why people would want to customize a KR, period. On top of that, why does some "Shelby-authorized power pack" or whatever you want to call it need to be put together when you are in-fact just buying a pile of bolt-on parts? Are you really thinking that making it "Shelby-authorized" would add value to your KR? :hysterical2: One Shelby Kool Aid...coming right up. :stirpot:

Say what you want about post-title customizing your pre-title KR. It will not add value...it will actually decrease value by detracting some buyers...and nobody (including yourself) is going to feel like going through the work to return it to stock regardless if you have the original parts sitting on a shelf. And lastly, nobody is going to pay you extra for those post-title mods just because it was supposedly Shelby "authorized".

I don't get why people would want to customize a KR, period. On top of that, why does some "Shelby-authorized power pack" or whatever you want to call it need to be put together when you are in-fact just buying a pile of bolt-on parts? Are you really thinking that making it "Shelby-authorized" would add value to your KR? :hysterical2: One Shelby Kool Aid...coming right up. :stirpot:

Say what you want about post-title customizing your pre-title KR. It will not add value...it will actually decrease value by detracting some buyers...and nobody (including yourself) is going to feel like going through the work to return it to stock regardless if you have the original parts sitting on a shelf. And lastly, nobody is going to pay you extra for those post-title mods just because it was supposedly Shelby "authorized".

I agree. Unmolested originality is the big deal now. Especially when cars become 16 years of age and beyond as they bottom out and start the upward climb in value. I don't presently own a KR( own a 2011 modified GT500 and 2012 GT350 along with 15 other various mustangs) but plan to in the future. I will chase an all original car when I do. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree. Unmolested originality is the big deal now. Especially when cars become 16 years of age and beyond as they bottom out and start the upward climb in value. I don't presently own a KR( own a 2011 modified GT500 and 2012 GT350 along with 15 other various mustangs) but plan to in the future. I will chase an all original car when I do. Just my 2 cents worth.

Will you also be looking for one with less than 1,000 miles on it ?

I believe what Carroll said a long time ago that these cars (Shelbys) were meant to be driven. It is the hot rodder in me that wants to make my car better than the next guy; be it faster, handling or looks, all within the context of not sacrificing what the KR package was to begin with. If you want to shrink wrap your car and pull it out to go to auction in thirty years good for you. As far as modding the KR I say more power to you. For the purists they will be able to proudly say that their cars still have the original this or that and for the owners that wrench on their cars they'll be able to talk about all the good times they've had with theirs. It be a damn boring world to go to a show and see a few hundred KRs and they're all alike. Impressive yes, but after you've seen one you'd have seen them all. To Frank, if you can get SAI to offer a KR specific performance package that would be great, but I didn't wait on SAI. The FRPP TVS has already been discontinued to start with and you'll be hard pressed to find another sc to fit under the KR's brace.

The mods I have performed on my cars may not have added any real monetary value, but the driving enjoyment is without question. I'm in the process of installing the '13/'14 cf ds right now as the stock two piece is clearly inferior especially considering the 750 plus h.p. my cars are producing. I think Carroll would be proud.

Appreciating unmolested originality has nothing to do with being shrink wrapped for 30 years. A very well taken care of original 30,000 mile KR that's been babied for 30 years is going to appreciate just as well as a 20-mile still-on-MSO example. The only difference with those bottles of wine is one had it's cork popped and you can take a sip, and the other will always just be a show piece.

But one that's been tinkered with? Nah. That's what Super Snakes are for.

You just said it JDB. On one hand the guy can point to a dusty bottle on the shelf and talk about what a great bottle of wine it is that he'll never taste and on the other side you'll have a guy talking about the great wine that he actually got toexperience. I'm not judging but at the same time I'm just pointing out that if everyone did the same thing where's the fun in that? Also, I suppose I missed my calling and should have just joined the SS crowd. Lol

I agree with JDB at this point. I raised this idea a couple years ago with SAI. Their first reaction was enthusiasm. Their action is what you see now. 0.

They are busy pushing Focus and Raptor post title mods and selling post title mod packages on anything they can. Why not the KR? Don't know but the more I thought about it a "Post title" KR program would do more to benefit SAI then the KR at this point as it would move SAI parts off their shelves, make them money and dilute the last pre-title Shelby Mustang ever made which was also produced during Carroll's life time, with his heavy involvement and one of the actual Shelby's he thought enough of to own .....with a bunch of post title mismosh of parts that would now be slapped on after the fact years later at likely overpriced numbers.

After the KR wheel dump and not so much as the courtesy of an explanation from SAI I am not interested in doing anything that benefits them unless it really benefits my KR and me.

Nuff said.

I believe what Carroll said a long time ago that these cars (Shelbys) were meant to be driven. It is the hot rodder in me that wants to make my car better than the next guy; be it faster, handling or looks, all within the context of not sacrificing what the KR package was to begin with. If you want to shrink wrap your car and pull it out to go to auction in thirty years good for you. As far as modding the KR I say more power to you. For the purists they will be able to proudly say that their cars still have the original this or that and for the owners that wrench on their cars they'll be able to talk about all the good times they've had with theirs. It be a damn boring world to go to a show and see a few hundred KRs and they're all alike. Impressive yes, but after you've seen one you'd have seen them all. To Frank, if you can get SAI to offer a KR specific performance package that would be great, but I didn't wait on SAI. The FRPP TVS has already been discontinued to start with and you'll be hard pressed to find another sc to fit under the KR's brace.

The mods I have performed on my cars may not have added any real monetary value, but the driving enjoyment is without question. I'm in the process of installing the '13/'14 cf ds right now as the stock two piece is clearly inferior especially considering the 750 plus h.p. my cars are producing. I think Carroll would be proud.

Let me make myself clear: I don't presently own a KR, but will sometime soon. At that point, I will find a low mileage original car, so that I am the one to molest it and put mileage on it.

If I were in the market for a 1968 KR, I'd be looking for "originality". I'd want the car to have as many original parts as possible, not some butchered up car.

You can do whatever you want to your car, that's your business. But to try to promote a package for a 5/6 year old car is just plain silly. They are still doing the SS you say? That's because the folks at SA had a production number in mind and they haven't reached that mark yet. I guess those "off the shelf parts" need to be moved out of inventory.

The 08/09 KR made it's mark in Shelby lore, there's no need to revive something that doesn't need to be revived. The KR is still "King of the Road".

If I were in the market for a 1968 KR, I'd be looking for "originality". I'd want the car to have as many original parts as possible, not some butchered up car.

You can do whatever you want to your car, that's your business. But to try to promote a package for a 5/6 year old car is just plain silly. They are still doing the SS you say? That's because the folks at SA had a production number in mind and they haven't reached that mark yet. I guess those "off the shelf parts" need to be moved out of inventory.

The 08/09 KR made it's mark in Shelby lore, there's no need to revive something that doesn't need to be revived. The KR is still "King of the Road".

What he said. +1

I could care less what KR buyers are looking for years from now. When mine comes up for sale it means I have kicked the bucket.

Let the mods continue. :)

Hey, its your car. Do what makes you happy. :thumbsup:

Just keep all the stock parts and I would limit it to bolt on mods only. My advice.

Archived