TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting A Little Awkward In The Space Station About Now?

I think we can spend the money more wisely here than in space, especially a space station. I am all for defense, and a star wars shield program, but question why we have to land on the moon, Mars, Jupiter, etc. We spend billions for what? Bragging rights?

I think we can spend the money more wisely here than in space, especially a space station. I am all for defense, and a star wars shield program, but question why we have to land on the moon, Mars, Jupiter, etc. We spend billions for what? Bragging rights?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7935505/Stephen-Hawking-mankind-must-move-to-outer-space-within-a-century.html

Nice link.

We as humans are always searching. Once it was over the next mountain, or past the next body of water. Then it became the depths of the oceans and then higher and higher into the sky. Once past that it became the moon and beyond. We haven't done well with the 'beyond' part and the Chinese are the latest to visit the moon, albeit unmanned. We went to the moon to beat the 'bad guys' there, the Soviets. We did it. Our shuttle flew often and cost the lives of two crews. The Russians flew theirs once, and it was unmanned. We were the best at exploring, innovating, and showing the rest of the world what a free society could do with the means to dare dream and live that dream. The only thing that will get us out to the stars now is a way to show those who could profit from it the way to do so and let them do what NASA, and the military has seemingly given up on. There are small companies working on such things and one even supplies the space station. The Virgin Atlantic ship and others in development are the most cutting edge and required thinking so far out of the box that they seem either simplistic or beyond belief. I hope they succeed. The truly sad thing is that I grew up in the days of Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Skylab and remember when each and every launch was an event followed by a nation appreciative of what those missions stood for. The shuttle era made their accomplishments seem mundane when they were not, ordinary when they were extraordinary and only made headlined when the ultimate price was paid. You want something to be proud of? You want a reason to turn on the TV and have a feeling of emotion of knowing there are Americans pushing the envelope? Looks to the stars.

"We chose to go to the moon and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

Kennedy said it. We did it.

We need to do it again.

Nice link.

We as humans are always searching. Once it was over the next mountain, or past the next body of water. Then it became the depths of the oceans and then higher and higher into the sky. Once past that it became the moon and beyond. We haven't done well with the 'beyond' part and the Chinese are the latest to visit the moon, albeit unmanned. We went to the moon to beat the 'bad guys' there, the Soviets. We did it. Our shuttle flew often and cost the lives of two crews. The Russians flew theirs once, and it was unmanned. We were the best at exploring, innovating, and showing the rest of the world what a free society could do with the means to dare dream and live that dream. The only thing that will get us out to the stars now is a way to show those who could profit from it the way to do so and let them do what NASA, and the military has seemingly given up on. There are small companies working on such things and one even supplies the space station. The Virgin Atlantic ship and others in development are the most cutting edge and required thinking so far out of the box that they seem either simplistic or beyond belief. I hope they succeed. The truly sad thing is that I grew up in the days of Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Skylab and remember when each and every launch was an event followed by a nation appreciative of what those missions stood for. The shuttle era made their accomplishments seem mundane when they were not, ordinary when they were extraordinary and only made headlined when the ultimate price was paid. You want something to be proud of? You want a reason to turn on the TV and have a feeling of emotion of knowing there are Americans pushing the envelope? Looks to the stars.

"We chose to go to the moon and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

Kennedy said it. We did it.

We need to do it again.

You are truly a man of vision. Our nations leaders must have such a vision or it will never happen. Perhaps a great leader will emerge once again. Not looking real good right now.

Archived