TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Data Recovery?

A question of my fellow Shelby owners...

Do any of you work for a business and/or have expert knowledge of data recovery, or might you have any good contacts regarding such?

Basically, I have had a hard drive fail which has all of our family photos, vids, etc. on it. Yes, there was also another mirrored drive which failed as well ...go figure....

These drives were in an iomega storcenter ix2-200 which went kaput.

Thanks for any help / ideas!

I worked in the hard drive industy for 40 years. No matter who made the drive go to their Web site and use their recovery service. The in house will have access to spares that others may not. It's no longer possible to swap boards due to key bonding

Ps if the drive had a head crash you'd smell it it's probably toast. If the drive is visible and you hear a clicking sou d it may be salvageable. Who is the drive manucscturer?

Good luck

I worked in the hard drive industy for 40 years. No matter who made the drive go to their Web site and use their recovery service. The in house will have access to spares that others may not. It's no longer possible to swap boards due to key bonding

Ps if the drive had a head crash you'd smell it it's probably toast. If the drive is visible and you hear a clicking sou d it may be salvageable. Who is the drive manucscturer?

Good luck

Got an estimate from one data recovery joint - $800 to $1500!!!

The drive doesn't make any noise and has no outward signs of failure. Iomega said it only shows "signs of failure" via a "dump file" they looked at. Apparently the data is on it, however I think the backup system converted the files to linux in lieu of windows. The backup system interface (web browser) allowed me to communicate with the unit and work with files. I don't know anything about linux.

One positive - before this backup unit I had this old Fantom Drive. It is a little noisey (yikes), however, as I type this I am restoring 2 or 3 old Norton 360 backups from it to my new desktop. Hopefully this will recover the most priceless pics / vids. I found a free Norton 360 download to do this (he he heee).

I also found data recovery software on cnet.com.....if I can get most of the stuff off the Fantom Drive, I'm doing to download some data recovery software and play with the failing hard drive myself.

It is unlikely "software" will be able to get you anything. if you are getting hardware related errors (windows likes to hide those from you) but it says anything like "CRC error" or the device won't come ready, it's not going to be recoverable by software. If it looks like a controller error you SHOULD NOT PUT IT ON YOUR COMPUTER ANY MORE!!!

The exception is if it is a USB or other "bridged" drive. It can be the bridge and the drive is fine....

I'll PM you.

OK, whew!! I got all my stuff, except for the last 2 years, by restoring 3 old backups from the old noisy Fantom Drive. I am so relieved as these were the most critical files.

I think I can recover most all of the last two years of pics, etc. from other computers in our home...and phones...

Ilmor,

Good to see you've been able to recover most of your files.

I've been using an online backup cloud storage site for the last couple of years. It runs quietly in the background and uploads any new files automatically which is a lot more reliable than trying to remember to burn a DVD every once in ahwile! You can also access files remotely by logging into their server.

There's a bunch of these sites out there. I've been using Carbonite which runs ~$50/year to backup one computer... Good piece of mind knowing that all those family photos (and Shelby photos) are backed up!

-yellow pony

Ilmor,

I've been using an online backup cloud storage site for the last couple of years. It runs quietly in the background and uploads any new files automatically which is a lot more reliable than trying to remember to burn a DVD every once in ahwile! You can also access files remotely by logging into their server.

There's a bunch of these sites out there. I've been using Carbonite which runs ~$50/year to backup one computer... Good piece of mind knowing that all those family photos (and Shelby photos) are backed up!

-yellow pony

Thanks - yep, last night I signed up w/ a service call SOS Online, roughly the same price. I'm on a "free trial" with them at the moment to see how I like it. Carbonite is another I may try.

Ilmor,

-yellow pony

I didn't really like the SOS Online interface, etc. ... so now I'm trying a Carbonite free trial. I really like it and will most likely stick with it.

Archived