TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Everything But The Bigger Supercharger...any Thoughts On Cost To Finish?

Hello! Hopefully this is not a silly question to be asking here, but I thought I would throw it out to you all. My 2012 Shelby GT500 was purchased with a substantial list of upgrades done at the Shelby factory in Vegas. As near as I can tell, everything has been done to the car except a few smaller items and the big supercharger.

• Performance cooling package
  • bigger front and rear brakes
  • upgraded tires and 20" Alcoa Super Snake wheels
  • suspension package
  • Caster/Camber plates (though someone who knows a lot about mustangs said he did not think mine actually had this as he could not see them where he was expecting to...it is on the invoice from Shelby however...)
  • Short throw shifter
  • Borla mufflers
  • Carbon fiber splitter
  • Aesthetic engine kit
  • 3 piece floor mat (this made me very sad for some reason...to have gotten the mats but it is not a real super snake yet!)
  • Watts link

So in your opinion, how much more will the remaining upgrades set me back? How long does it take to get the supercharger, hood and missing elements added if you were to guess? I do not know why the previous owner did not finish the conversion since he was so close, I guess he ran out of money, but she is so close to being a full Super Snake that I almost feel obligated to just do it. I tried to talk to the Shelby guys at Barrett Jackson in January, I was really excited to talk to them, however, without bashing anyone, I got a rather spectacular brush off. ouch. As a woman asking these questions, I do not tend to be taken very seriously sometimes. Which is why I am afraid this is perhaps a stupid question to ask and am hoping that you experts can give me any wisdom or opinions you may have without flaming me too badly... Thanks in advance!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julie,

Define "finish"? It is a slippery slope once you go down that path. You can mod the chassis, body, supercharger, etc. There are so many things you can do to these cars which can result in dumping quite a bit of money into them. Your car presently is very nice with a good list of upgrades. You'll want to determine exactly what you want to upgrade and try to place a maximum budget amount not to be exceeded. This will give you some direction moving forward in regards to what potential project(s) will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Hope this helps.

Julie,

Define "finish"? It is a slippery slope once you go down that path. You can mod the chassis, body, supercharger, etc. There are so many things you can do to these cars which can result in dumping quite a bit of money into them. Your car presently is very nice with a good list of upgrades. You'll want to determine exactly what you want to upgrade and try to place a maximum budget amount not to be exceeded. This will give you some direction moving forward in regards to what potential project(s) will give you the biggest bang for your buck. Hope this helps.

Huh. Yes that helps very much l as I just thought there was a standard Super Snake upgrade package with different choices in supercharger, I did not realize there were so many other options! A slippery (and expensive!) slope indeed! I do not think I will be looking at any body mods, I am in love with the way she looks now, though the more aggressive Super Snake hood will put her over the top for me! I was just thinking the basic "entry level" Super Snake I guess...though as I type the words "entry level Super Snake" I actually giggled...a strange designation for creating what is the most amazing muscle car in existence! Do you happen to know where I might find a list of possible upgrades (that would be done by the Shelby factory as opposed to other providers of aftermarket options) for a Super Snake conversion? I know there is a basic list which I assume is the entry level version that I found in the Shelby Magazine, but where do you guys get your ideas for upgrades for your cars that are beyond that? Do you have most of the upgrades done at Shelby or do you go other routes for some of these upgrades? Sorry for a billion more questions, you opened a whole new and potentially pricey world to me!

Huh. Yes that helps very much l as I just thought there was a standard Super Snake upgrade package with different choices in supercharger, I did not realize there were so many other options! A slippery (and expensive!) slope indeed! I do not think I will be looking at any body mods, I am in love with the way she looks now, though the more aggressive Super Snake hood will put her over the top for me! I was just thinking the basic "entry level" Super Snake I guess...though as I type the words "entry level Super Snake" I actually giggled...a strange designation for creating what is the most amazing muscle car in existence! Do you happen to know where I might find a list of possible upgrades (that would be done by the Shelby factory as opposed to other providers of aftermarket options) for a Super Snake conversion? I know there is a basic list which I assume is the entry level version that I found in the Shelby Magazine, but where do you guys get your ideas for upgrades for your cars that are beyond that? Do you have most of the upgrades done at Shelby or do you go other routes for some of these upgrades? Sorry for a billion more questions, you opened a whole new and potentially pricey world to me!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, so please forgive me if I am answering this incorrectly below..............

The Super Snake is done by Shelby as an upgrade package with multiple Shelby installed items all at one time. The 2012 GT500 would have a upgrade super charger at the entry level, and then additional upgrade super charger options from that original entry level point. The 2013/2014 are the first years that the GT500 was available to be upgraded to a Super Snake but still keep the oem S/C in place at the oem 662 hp level.

All pre-2013 GT500 Shelby's that go through a Super Snake upgrade get an upgrade S/C as part of their original/initial visit. If you are asking what can be done next to your 2012 to get it to a Super Snake power level, there are Ford Racing, KB and Whipple options which would all be available for installation during an original Super Snake upgrade, or can be owner added without the Super Snake identifiers.

The Super Snake is not something that an owner can buy the parts and build their own, in steps. To be an official Super Snake upgrade added to a GT500, it has to be purchased, the options chosen, and Shelby installs the parts when the car is in their shop, however, similar parts can be purchased and installed as an owners budget allows, but without the "Super Snake" title also added to the car.

If someone lives near a Shelby installation facility and chooses to have authorized Shelby installers install their parts, I'm sure that can be done also, but it is not a "build your way to a Super Snake" progression, it is a GT500 with parts installed that are also installed or similar to what is installed on a production Super Snake.

At the very top of this page there is a link (3rd tab from the left) that says "Shelby Build One" with a drop down arrow. Click on that tab and find the Super Snake option for 2011/2012 and it will show what comes standard on the Super Snake build and then what options are also available for install at the same time, or for later installs. The price for each upgrade package is shown also as well as the additional costs for the upgrade options.

If you want your 2012 to be an official CSMSS12xxx Super Snake it will have to visit Shelby and at least the entry level $$$ paid for the basic Super Snake upgrade. <<There may be some credit for Shelby Super Snake items that are already installed, but I am not sure about this? If you are just wanting the Super Snake power and performance level on your 2012 GT500 and not be a Super Snake, the list of items in that tab should give you some information toward that goal, but I guess I need to understand exactly what direction you are desiring for your 2012? <<An official 2012 Super Snake? or a 2012 GT500 with Super Snake power and performance, but not a Super Snake?

By the way............Your car looks Great!!

R

Thank you Robert! You and ViperNC have been very helpful. I do not know why all the work was not done at once on the car, the guys at Shelby knew exactly what car I had simply by giving the name of the previous owner without having to look it up! I would hope they would give credit for the work they have already done on the car at Shelby, and would be able to finish the upgrade to the beefier supercharger and the other odds and ends for the basic Super Snake upgrade without too much trouble, I will contact them directly as I did not think that might be a possible issue. If I am going to get the upgrades done, I want her to be a legitimate and registered Super Snake, so that will be important in my decision to move forward with the upgrades. The drop down menu is super helpful, thanks again!

And thank both of you for the nice compliments on my car...this is my first mustang and I went with the "Go big or go home" mentality when I chose this particular car, it is nice to get feedback that I made a good choice from people who know what they are talking about...I did all the research I could before I bought her, but it was still nerve wracking. I have never been in love with a car...until this one!

Thank you Robert! You and ViperNC have been very helpful. I do not know why all the work was not done at once on the car, the guys at Shelby knew exactly what car I had simply by giving the name of the previous owner without having to look it up! I would hope they would give credit for the work they have already done on the car at Shelby, and would be able to finish the upgrade to the beefier supercharger and the other odds and ends for the basic Super Snake upgrade without too much trouble, I will contact them directly as I did not think that might be a possible issue. If I am going to get the upgrades done, I want her to be a legitimate and registered Super Snake, so that will be important in my decision to move forward with the upgrades. The drop down menu is super helpful, thanks again!

And thank both of you for the nice compliments on my car...this is my first mustang and I went with the "Go big or go home" mentality when I chose this particular car, it is nice to get feedback that I made a good choice from people who know what they are talking about...I did all the research I could before I bought her, but it was still nerve wracking. I have never been in love with a car...until this one!

You will want to go big if the $$$ allow, the higher hp cars are bringing a premium over the lower hp in current used sales and I do not see that changing, ever.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2011gt500.asp

^^^^^^^Also, as shown in the link above the Alcoa's are gone for the 2011/2012 Super Snake build, actually the 2007-2012's get the new wheel that was original for the 2013 Super Snake and is now standard for all 2007-2014 Super Snakes 9.5" front and 11" rear, up from the 9" front/10" rear Alcoa's. <<Mine are in transit via FedEx to me right now, I can't wait to see/install them!!

R

You will want to go big if the $$$ allow, the higher hp cars are bringing a premium over the lower hp in current used sales and I do not see that changing, ever.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2011gt500.asp

^^^^^^^Also, as shown in the link above the Alcoa's are gone for the 2011/2012 Super Snake build, actually the 2007-2012's get the new wheel that was original for the 2013 Super Snake and is now standard for all 2007-2014 Super Snakes 9.5" front and 11" rear, up from the 9" front/10" rear Alcoa's. <<Mine are in transit via FedEx to me right now, I can't wait to see/install them!!

R

I am so glad that the Super Snake Alcoas are already on her then, that would have been a bummer! You are going to love them, several guys here have been trying to talk me out of them...not going to happen!

Julie,

On behalf of Shelby American let me apologize for all your questions not being answered at Barrett-Jackson. If you would like to send me an email with your cars VIN number and the previous owners name I'll see what info I can dig up for you. It sounds like your Shelby was upgraded at the Shelby Speed Shop and not thru the Shelby Mod Shop as all Super Snake builds thru the mod shop receive a CSM number.

Once I get a little history on your Shelby I'll be able to see what options are available to you from Shelby American. Please email me at: stevent@shelbyamerican.com

Steve

PS- And welcome to Team Shelby :)

Julie,

On behalf of Shelby American let me apologize for all your questions not being answered at Barrett-Jackson. If you would like to send me an email with your cars VIN number and the previous owners name I'll see what info I can dig up for you. It sounds like your Shelby was upgraded at the Shelby Speed Shop and not thru the Shelby Mod Shop as all Super Snake builds thru the mod shop receive a CSM number.

Once I get a little history on your Shelby I'll be able to see what options are available to you from Shelby American. Please email me at: stevent@shelbyamerican.com

Steve

PS- And welcome to Team Shelby :)

That was very kind of you Steve! I will get you the information right away! Thank you all!

Welcome to the joy of owning a Shelby, Julie -- and that includes both the team at SAI and the family of Team Shelby. You picked a beauty for your first mustang!

Thank you so much Bookwyrm! Everyone has been wonderful on these boards and Steve at SAI has been great! I got a family with my amazing car...what a bonus!

I am so glad that the Super Snake Alcoas are already on her then, that would have been a bummer! You are going to love them, several guys here have been trying to talk me out of them...not going to happen!

Julie - Are your Alcoa's from a Super Snake, with the Super Snake engraving as shown below?

0012_zps718c26d1.jpg

They should have "Super Snake" and "Shelby Forged" engraved on them as shown above.

R

julie, im also a fan of the alcoas,imo does a lot for the car,and good luck with the search for the bigger and faster parts

Julie - Are your Alcoa's from a Super Snake, with the Super Snake engraving as shown below?

0012_zps718c26d1.jpg

They should have "Super Snake" and "Shelby Forged" engraved on them as shown above.

R

I was going by what the dealership told me...but no, they do not say Super Snake. :cry: They just say Shelby Forged. I guess I don't have them then. crap. Thank you for clarifying what they should look like, I appreciate knowing exactly what I do have.

Julie if you want a Super Snake you'll have to ship your GT500 to Vegas...and write Shelby American a check for $34,500, minimum. You receive no credit towards the SS upgrade with your existing parts. Matter of fact they prefer you return the car back to stock. They return no removed parts if you leave them on the car. Not trying to be a party pooper, but that's how it works.

I was going by what the dealership told me...but no, they do not say Super Snake. :cry: They just say Shelby Forged. I guess I don't have them then. crap. Thank you for clarifying what they should look like, I appreciate knowing exactly what I do have.

I couldn't tell from your pictures, so that is why I asked. Even though they aren't original Super Snake Alcoa's, they are still valuable. Alcoa's are still "hot" in the Mustang enthusiast world. The dark Alcoa I showed above is from a set for a 2011 who's owner sent his car back to Las Vegas for a wide body, I bought his original dark Alcoa's. I didn't know if the previous owner of your car "may" have come across the same, or a similar deal for the Alcoa's that are on your car, that is why I asked.

Did you get any promising info. from Shelby as it relates to your direction toward a Super Snake build?

R

Julie,

I would not get fixated on making your car into a Super Snake. Make it into what you want it to be. If you really want a Super Snake, patience will win the day and you'll find a used one with low miles for sale for less than the cost of having Shelby build one out of your car.

I couldn't tell from your pictures, so that is why I asked. Even though they aren't original Super Snake Alcoa's, they are still valuable. Alcoa's are still "hot" in the Mustang enthusiast world. The dark Alcoa I showed above is from a set for a 2011 who's owner sent his car back to Las Vegas for a wide body, I bought his original dark Alcoa's. I didn't know if the previous owner of your car "may" have come across the same, or a similar deal for the Alcoa's that are on your car, that is why I asked.

Did you get any promising info. from Shelby as it relates to your direction toward a Super Snake build?

R

Steven at Shelby was great and explained that the previous owner had not been going the Super Snake route, but was going for performance upgrades and just happened to select 3/4 of the Super Snake Package to do so. They were good upgrade choices, they make significant improvements and are not just showy add ons, that is why they are all part of the Super Snake program, but he had the work done in the Shelby Speed Shop as opposed to the Mod Shop where the Super Snakes are built. He was not sure what credit I would get for the work that has already been done, which is fair since it was not done at the Mod Shop nor with the intent to create a Super Snake. I am fine with keeping her the way she is, she is a beautiful car and at 680 HP is more than enough to keep me entertained, I had only really pursued this because if she was already so close, then finishing the job would not be too difficult, but I am not nearly as close as I thought I was because of the way the previous owner chose to have the work done. So I have a beautiful, bad a$$ Shelby and am happy to keep her as is. If I want a Super Snake in the future, I will know to start from the ground up or to purchase one that is already certified, but I am not sure I will ever need to take that step. This is a lot of car! Thank you everyone for all of your help and wisdom, this really helped clear up the issue for me!

Julie,

I would not get fixated on making your car into a Super Snake. Make it into what you want it to be. If you really want a Super Snake, patience will win the day and you'll find a used one with low miles for sale for less than the cost of having Shelby build one out of your car.

Exactly where I think I am at now ViperNC. It is not a problem to let go of the Super Snake idea, the car is amazing as is and I do not need to go any further with this knowing what I know now. Though as you pointed out earlier, there are still MANY ways to spend large chunks of money on other types of upgrades if I choose to down the road... We will see if the bug bites me later to amp things up even more! Thanks again for all your help!

julie, im also a fan of the alcoas,imo does a lot for the car,and good luck with the search for the bigger and faster parts

I do like the Alcoa's a lot too, I never focused much on wheels before on cars unless they were obvious (bold color etc) but I really am learning to appreciate what they do to the look of the car. The Alcoa's get a lot of attention at the shows, which initially surprised me, but I get it now! They are so subtly aggressive looking...Have I mentioned that I love my car? Actually, I love Shelby's in general, I love looking through the pictures on this board! The Alcoa's look great on your car! And when Robert gets his Alcoa's in he needs to post a bunch of pictures!

And when Robert gets his Alcoa's in he needs to post a bunch of pictures!

Actually Julie I have been the Alcoa route, moved the rear 10" to the front, sent two spares out to be widened to 12" and then bought the dark Alcoa's just because they were a good deal in my opinion and they came up for sale at a time when I could buy them. Now I am working on the new style Super Snake wheels for my car and the Alcoa's will be stored away or swapped back onto my car from time to time.

Here it is with the 10" front 12" rear Alcoa set-up. This picture is a couple of years old.............

011-4.jpg

^^^The picture above is the way it looks right now, except a little bit lower in the rear............

....................and this is the way it will look with the new style Super Snake wheels.

back_zps18e6d812.jpg

The dark Alcoa's.................I have not had them on my car yet. I have been working on too many "other" things like rear suspension upgrades and other smaller things on my car.

R

Actually Julie I have been the Alcoa route, moved the rear 10" to the front, sent two spares out to be widened to 12" and then bought the dark Alcoa's just because they were a good deal in my opinion and they came up for sale at a time when I could buy them. Now I am working on the new style Super Snake wheels for my car and the Alcoa's will be stored away or swapped back onto my car from time to time.

Here it is with the 10" front 12" rear Alcoa set-up. This picture is a couple of years old.............

011-4.jpg

^^^The picture above is the way it looks right now, except a little bit lower in the rear............

....................and this is the way it will look with the new style Super Snake wheels.

back_zps18e6d812.jpg

The dark Alcoa's.................I have not had them on my car yet. I have been working on too many "other" things like rear suspension upgrades and other smaller things on my car.

R

That is a really beautiful car, I just drooled a little on my laptop just now...The dark Alcoa's would look fantastic though I love the shinier bright metal look too...anything would look good on that car! The Alcoa's on my car were powder coated the gray color they are now, I am not sure if I want to keep them that color or take the step to have them done again in black...the dark Alcoa's are making me think about that again since the rest of my car is blacked out (even the SHELBY on the back is blacked out) I thought the gray powder coat choice was strange, but the general opinion poll is that most people like the contrast of the gray wheels on the black car...I am still on the fence. The dark Alcoa's have me leaning back toward black powdercoat again... sigh....decisions decisions!

That is a really beautiful car, I just drooled a little on my laptop just now...The dark Alcoa's would look fantastic though I love the shinier bright metal look too...anything would look good on that car! The Alcoa's on my car were powder coated the gray color they are now, I am not sure if I want to keep them that color or take the step to have them done again in black...the dark Alcoa's are making me think about that again since the rest of my car is blacked out (even the SHELBY on the back is blacked out) I thought the gray powder coat choice was strange, but the general opinion poll is that most people like the contrast of the gray wheels on the black car...I am still on the fence. The dark Alcoa's have me leaning back toward black powdercoat again... sigh....decisions decisions!

^^^Thank you Julie.

My personal opinion...............the brighter wheels do look Great, they also have "bling" as most all bright wheels do, but the dark wheels look more aggressive..........a "bad boy" look.

The only reason I have not put the dark Alcoa's on my car is because I need to move my original Pirelli P Zero's over to them, and also spend the $$$ on TPMS sensors that will work with my 2008. Currently those dark Alcoa's have their original 2011 sensors which I have been told don't work on my 2008. The valve stems on the 2011 sensors are the oem silver color, and against the dark Alcoa's those silver stems "stick out", so when I do eventually buy the TPMS for those wheels I am going to use a plain black rubber valve stem TPMS so the stems will blend in with the wheel. <<<All of this being said, it is not a simple "bolt the dark Alcoa's on" project.

R

Archived