TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Young Drivers And Shelby Insurance

idareu

I just got a call from my insurance agent because I have two sons and a Shelby. The carrier he said has a red flag for Shelbys and young drivers.

My boys are under 14! I told them their ages and said ok but in a few years you will have to sell the Shelby once they star driving. Wow is that true will insurance companies drop a 800 fico score and a clean driving record for someone with a Shelby a young driver?

Oh boy. This is the time for you that you're going to need to be very careful. You need to find someone who will insure you with the guarantee your under 21 drivers (and even that is iffy) will not get the keys.

We went through with OUR GIRLS. And GIRLS usually don't add a whole lot.

Sorry, but good luck.

My insurance carrier has an exclusion form I had to fill out that states the specified drivers will never drive this car, otherwise I couldnt afford my car insurance with my 20 year old son in the same house...With your driving record and credit score you will find a carrier that will exclude your children

Matt

in a few years you will have to sell the Shelby once they star driving.

Any insurance company that said that to me would get dropped like a hot potato. They have no right to tell me I have to sell my car. Drop my coverage if they want but don't tell me what to do with my property.

My 15 year old gets her license in a few months and my 14 year old boy isn't far behind. I have no plans on letting them drive the Shelby. Interested what, if anything, USAA will say. I'm hoping there is some kind of exclusion policy like Matt mentioned above.

My 15 year old gets her license in a few months and my 14 year old boy isn't far behind. I have no plans on letting them drive the Shelby. Interested what, if anything, USAA will say. I'm hoping there is some kind of exclusion policy like Matt mentioned above.

...I am with USAA and at one time had 5 vehicles, including the GT500, and two teenage boy drivers, and I was still paying what I considered a very reasonable price (I think around 1600 for six months)..........many of my friends with teens were paying a lot more than that without a shelby.

I have a now 16 year old son in the house (at time of purchase he would been 14) and my insurance company never said anything. I would look into a different company. Am curious as to what company you went with.......

When we bought our '07 GT500 my youngest daughter, 18 at the time, still lived with us and State Farm never said a word. They never asked for us to sign an exclusion on her, but they did make us sign one for the older daughter who didn't even live at home by that time! Her record was a little less than pristine.

My insurance gave me crap for buying a Mustang, regardless of the engine, just for the name alone. I can only imagine what the Shelby name does to insurance.....actually I don't have to imagine, you've pretty much said it right there. Can't blame insurance for being scared I suppose.

Find a different company. I've been driving my Shelby since I was 16 and the insurance company could care less. No extra fees or anything. I've even had to have them come out for a couple claims and the price hasn't budged.

Find a different company. I've been driving my Shelby since I was 16 and the insurance company could care less. No extra fees or anything. I've even had to have them come out for a couple claims and the price hasn't budged.

My Shelby GT and its VIN shows up as a regular Mustang GT to the insurance companys, and DMV.

My Shelby GT and its VIN shows up as a regular Mustang GT to the insurance companys, and DMV.

Doesn't that also mean that they're only insuring it as a regular Mustang GT and not covering the extra repair/replacement costs of the Shelby upgrades? I wouldn't think this is a good thing..

Doesn't that also mean that they're only insuring it as a regular Mustang GT and not covering the extra repair/replacement costs of the Shelby upgrades? I wouldn't think this is a good thing..

Yep. That happened when I insured my twin Shelby GTs.

Post-title Mustangs that are converted at SA will be insured as Mustang GT cars by the VIBN. If you value you Shelby GT, GT350, Terlinguas, etc. you need to get supplemental insurance. And the secondary insurance may not request info driver information.

As far as standard insurance, it varies by carrier and State at to their policy coverage. Insurance companies base their restrictions on the vehicle and driver ages based on State use statistics first and then national statistics. You can get insurance for your teenager on your Shelby 1000 if you shop around and are willing to pay an enormous rate.

idareu, what State are you in and what insurance carrier?

I let my 2 year old drive mine...buy ive got usaa lol

Id drop who ever you have and encourage everyone who has them to do the same. Id also let them know why you are dropping them and that you are spreading the word. Id also take that message to the to highest ranking person you could get to talk to you. Imho that is a BS way of doing things. Id imagine if your anything like me you have probably paid your insurance company More than the cost of anything you have would cost to replace. ....I hate insurance companies. Can you tell?

I just got a call from my insurance agent because I have two sons and a Shelby. The carrier he said has a red flag for Shelbys and young drivers.

My boys are under 14! I told them their ages and said ok but in a few years you will have to sell the Shelby once they star driving. Wow is that true will insurance companies drop a 800 fico score and a clean driving record for someone with a Shelby a young driver?

The only thing our insurance company asked was who is the main driver for my new Shelby. Nothing about my teenage daughter and me myself I have 3 damn tickets. Try nationwide if you haven't already

My daughter has had a Shelby GT since she was 16...she is now a senior in college. I have been with State Farm the entire time with her and they insure the car and the driver on that car so she is charged only for her car...the rest of my cars do not get any premium add on for a teenage driver. USAA on the other hand, we discovered, was charging a premium on all my cars when my older daughter was living with us (she could drive any of them since she lived there was the excuse) after graduating from college and getting started in her first job even though she had her own car and insurance. When I found out I dropped USAA like a hot potatoe and switched to SF and saved a ton of money. Each state is different and lets the insurance bandits get away with whatever they have been able to pull off....so your results may very.

I would shop my policy now and get established with a new company so when the kids start driving you know exacly where you stand and you are well established with that company and your agent so if a fender bender occurs by one of them the agent knows you and has your back on any claims or issues.

By the way, I have all my collector cars with Grundy...they are the best both on price and claims service.

Bobert

I am moving from Illinois to Texas so a guy in my office said try my Allstate agent, what crap! #1 they won't insure my Shelby GT, as soon as I said Shelby they said here's a number go to Hagerty. On top of that they tried to sell my wife a way inferior home policy that covers nothing, granted the premium was cheap but that old adage you get what you pay for stands true. What ticks me off is I told them I wanted a full coverage policy with a million umbrella. I think they tried to pull a fast one, quote a cheap homeowners premium and if anything goes wrong rely on the umbrella.

I'm hearing good things about State Farm though, premium is not dirt cheap but I'm liking the coverages.who likes their State Farm agent?

I am moving from Illinois to Texas so a guy in my office said try my Allstate agent, what crap! #1 they won't insure my Shelby GT, as soon as I said Shelby they said here's a number go to Hagerty. On top of that they tried to sell my wife a way inferior home policy that covers nothing, granted the premium was cheap but that old adage you get what you pay for stands true. What ticks me off is I told them I wanted a full coverage policy with a million umbrella. I think they tried to pull a fast one, quote a cheap homeowners premium and if anything goes wrong rely on the umbrella.

I'm hearing good things about State Farm though, premium is not dirt cheap but I'm liking the coverages.who likes their State Farm agent?

Our insurance on the daily drivers is going up about 1.5x in moving from Colorado to Las Vegas. My base "liability" is going up also about 50% on the GT. The loss portion on the GT is fixed price and it doesn't matter where we live. On the other hand, our property taxes are less than half...

Milk costs more, eggs cost less, or maybe it's the opposite.

A couple of tips when shopping your insurance.

1. Does the company spread the risk or rate each vehicle/driver individually. You are better off if they rate individually.

2. Make sure they offer discounts for younger driver, such as: good student, drivers training and some companies offer their own youthful driver program. FYI good grades are a huge discount. How long do these discounts continue? Some companies will extend these programs up to 25 years of age.

3. Do not let them rate your younger driver on the Shelby ( unless it is their car) if they insist move on and find another company/agent.

4. As stated insure the Shelby with a specialty company such as Grundy, American Classic, Hagerty etc.

5. Be careful if you park the car for the winter. Some people will drop the liability coverage when the car is parked in the off season. Could be a bad idea if your car is stolen as you could still be held liable (we've seen such a case).

6. If insuring with a standard carrier (State Farm, Travelers, Allstate etc) make sure the Shelby is insured for an agreed value or stated value. If they won't put it in writing walk and find another carrier.

7. Keep all of your receipts for your upgrades along with pictures.

8. Know that your home owners policy does not cover vehicles in the garage even if the home burns or is destroyed. That can includes car parts that have been removed from the vehicle or that you have purchased to install on the car. If you are restoring a car keep comprehensive coverage on the car so the car is protected. Same is true for ATV's, snow mobiles, motorcycles etc.

9. Get your car appraised. I had mine appraised by a classic car appraiser and it came in at $48k with all of my upgrades. It gives me some additional documentation should I have a total loss.

Hope this helps some. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old so I am getting ready to go through this personally.

A couple of tips when shopping your insurance.

1. Does the company spread the risk or rate each vehicle/driver individually. You are better off if they rate individually.

2. Make sure they offer discounts for younger driver, such as: good student, drivers training and some companies offer their own youthful driver program. FYI good grades are a huge discount. How long do these discounts continue? Some companies will extend these programs up to 25 years of age.

3. Do not let them rate your younger driver on the Shelby ( unless it is their car) if they insist move on and find another company/agent.

4. As stated insure the Shelby with a specialty company such as Grundy, American Classic, Hagerty etc.

5. Be careful if you park the car for the winter. Some people will drop the liability coverage when the car is parked in the off season. Could be a bad idea if your car is stolen as you could still be held liable (we've seen such a case).

6. If insuring with a standard carrier (State Farm, Travelers, Allstate etc) make sure the Shelby is insured for an agreed value or stated value. If they won't put it in writing walk and find another carrier.

7. Keep all of your receipts for your upgrades along with pictures.

8. Know that your home owners policy does not cover vehicles in the garage even if the home burns or is destroyed. That can includes car parts that have been removed from the vehicle or that you have purchased to install on the car. If you are restoring a car keep comprehensive coverage on the car so the car is protected. Same is true for ATV's, snow mobiles, motorcycles etc.

9. Get your car appraised. I had mine appraised by a classic car appraiser and it came in at $48k with all of my upgrades. It gives me some additional documentation should I have a total loss.

Hope this helps some. I have a 13 year old and an 11 year old so I am getting ready to go through this personally.

This is all great advice. The problem was at USAA when I called (repeatedly) they told me that the anwser to #1 was individually rated...until my daughter moved out an low and behold they sent me my new revised policy out of the blue with my new lower rates. My advice is ask all questions repeatedly to insure you get the correct information and then double check your policy when it comes in the mail.

Bobert

Archived