TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 Gt500 Spare Tire?

motorhead213

For my 2013, I bought the Drag-37 wheel in 19" from Discount Tire for $170. Then bought a used Michelin Pilot Sport 255/40/19 tire off ebay for $70.
The tire and wheel combo fits the wheel well perfectly side to side, but sticks up about 1 inch.
Bought a scissor jack and 4-way lug wrench and keep it all under the spare, which is locked down by the hook and bolt that comes with the inflator.
With the trunk mat down, you dont notice at all. Im sure it would work fine in 18" for GT500 older than 2013, just make sure the offset is correct...DT will check for you.

PS, nice color combo!

post-38126-0-61973200-1393206377_thumb.jpg

This has probley been covered but i can't find it if it was. What are you using for a spare tire and wheel for a 13/14 GT500.I thought i might want to have one for traveling. Jack options too. Thanks

Over 60000 on the 07 never needed a spare. Lots of flats only once was the car not able to make it to a tire shop for repair. Not planing on a spare for the 13 and planing lots of traveling.

For my 2013, I bought the Drag-37 wheel in 19" from Discount Tire for $170. Then bought a used Michelin Pilot Sport 255/40/19 tire off ebay for $70.

The tire and wheel combo fits the wheel well perfectly side to side, but sticks up about 1 inch.

Bought a scissor jack and 4-way lug wrench and keep it all under the spare, which is locked down by the hook and bolt that comes with the inflator.

With the trunk mat down, you dont notice at all. Im sure it would work fine in 18" for GT500 older than 2013, just make sure the offset is correct...DT will check for you.

PS, nice color combo!

Good info. Thank you

Nice solution to the spare problem. Do you have 19" on all 4 corners, or do you have 20's on the rear? Thanks

I have the staggered set, oem. So if a rear needs replacing, you actually have to swap both rears to the front as you cant run a 19" and 20" rears together (unless overall diameter is same, but theyre not.)

I have the staggered set, oem. So if a rear needs replacing, you actually have to swap both rears to the front as you cant run a 19" and 20" rears together (unless overall diameter is same, but theyre not.)

Don't mean to be argumentative but unless there is something about a GT500 rear end that I am not aware of I don't understand why you couldn't run a 19 with a 20 on the back. Even with different diameter tires the differential should slip just like going around a corner where one tire is traveling farther than the other. Most of those little donut spares you see are a couple inches smaller in diameter than the rest of the tires on the car.

You wouldn't want to go too far or too fast with different diameter tires on the rear. With the standard clutch-type diff, you're right, the clutches would slip to compensate, but the clutches can only slip so much before the clutch material wears away, then you have an open rear end. I don't know much about how the Torsen diff works, but I'm sure it's similar. The owners manual also warns against driving with mismatched tires on the rear.

And I'm not sure how far off the diameter can be from tire to tire before the antilock brakes would think a tire is locking up and start pulsing the brakes when you apply them.

You wouldn't want to go too far or too fast with different diameter tires on the rear. With the standard clutch-type diff, you're right, the clutches would slip to compensate, but the clutches can only slip so much before the clutch material wears away, then you have an open rear end. I don't know much about how the Torsen diff works, but I'm sure it's similar. The owners manual also warns against driving with mismatched tires on the rear.

And I'm not sure how far off the diameter can be from tire to tire before the antilock brakes would think a tire is locking up and start pulsing the brakes when you apply them.

Agreed. I should have went farther in my responce saying I would only drive with 19 and 20's mismatched as far as the nearest tire store and slowly...

Also, have to ask if you are the same Bill Ross I knew many years ago who was an anethstisiologist in Olney, Illinois? He was a car guy too.

Archived