TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Hey all. Im having an issue with my Borgeson Power Steering Kit.... It started dripping so I checked all the hoses, the hoses are fine... the problem is the two bolts that hold the pump to the mounting bracket (shown in picture below). I sealed everything else up and blew air into the system causing fluid to gurgle up through the bolt holes. Any ideas, or links to fixes would be great. I am almost done with my project and this has ground me to a halt!

1961393_10202458339812852_800110715_ncop

Something is always leaking, right? Even if its brain fluid out my ears, for me anyways. :hysterical:

I actually have a fun product around here called Flex-Seal that works well for problems like this if sprayed around the bolt while it is a bit loose, then the bolt tightened up. Any sealer like that applied in the area should plug up a minor leak, assuming it isn't a crack anywhere obscure. That's all I've got.

Fluids seek a path of least resistance. A roof leak is never where the water stain on the ceiling is....

Suspect that there is a gasket behind the pump to the block that has failed and the bolts are just where it is seeping out. The bolts are not the seal, the seal is at the mating surface behind the pump body.

Buy a new pump and all the gaskets and seals. It's not worth guessing which one of the 4 or 5 service parts it is, just do them all.

Thank you for the quick replies! As far as teflon tape goes, the PS fluid ate it as soon as I screwed in the bolt so that is out... I will be trying a gasket/thread sealer tomorrow... I may also drop the money to either buy a new pump unit OR go back to manny-arm strong steering. OR maybe a crush washer in between the pump and bracket may be in order. ANYWAYS, I'll try and nail this down before the last resort of picking up a new pump! Thanks for the input guys,

Archived