TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roof Heaters?

Does anybody here have any experience with heaters designed to prevent ice dams from forming on the house roof?

We are experiencing record snow fall here in northwest Ohio with a couple mid winter thaws that

have caused ice dams to form on my roof. We have cathedral ceilings in the great room under the problem area that I have insulated and sealed as best I could which seems to have helped a little. This is only happening on the south facing side of the house so I am thinking radiant heat from the sun shining on that part of the roof is a big part of the problem.

Gutters and downspouts are clear.

Looking for those who might have experience with these ice melting systems that can school me in the good/bad.

One of the systems I was looking into was one offer by Summit summiticemelt.com any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chip

I used them on one of my houses. I had to use a good length of them to be effective. I installed mine straight in the gutter and in a W pattern on the roof. The roof cables must come close to the gutter cables to form a drainage path. The narrower in width you make the roof W, the more effective they will be. You have to continue the loop into the downspout to complete the drainage. I installed a GFCI on mine as a safety measure.

I used them on one of my houses. I had to use a good length of them to be effective. I installed mine straight in the gutter and in a W pattern on the roof. The roof cables must come close to the gutter cables to form a drainage path. The narrower in width you make the roof W, the more effective they will be. You have to continue the loop into the downspout to complete the drainage. I installed a GFCI on mine as a safety measure.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense running them through the downspout as well, something simple and necessary that I'll admit I never even thought about.

Not sure where I thought that water was going to go.

Chip

Archived