TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Cant Imagine A Wide Body Kit Being Any Good

Geneo4116

Can't even think about installing one of these,they look awesome,but man altering one of these cars would just be ridiculous,I can't imagine this kit not cracking all up in just a short time 3 or 4 yrs,unless just a show vehicle,or unless you were just a bazillionare and didn't matter how much u spent,but these fiberglass kits driven 5 k miles a year,I don't think so,can't see it holding up at all,but those 13" rims on the rear look killer

Its not easy, that's for sure. We have 40 years of experience in body work and actually discarded the Shelby instructions (not that they're wrong). Each mold is different and takes hours to prep, and the bonding process is crucial! When two dissimilar materials meet there are different expansion rates which can cause cracking. We thinned the molds at the edges, changed the reinforcing materials behind the molds and then used a completely different bonding process with an expansion coefficient exactly between the fiberglass and metal. We were actually doing a custom kit on a Pantera and used the same technique. The wide-body kits are NOT for everyone, and I personally think the suspension needs some major tweaks to make the whole package work properly (but that's another story). The look is amazing however!

04-hyperstangs-hellanor-mustang-sema-600

Having one myself (and one of the earlier ones produced at SA), I have yet to see any issues. I can see where you are coming from, and I will be reporting any issues on this board if they ever do occur!!! I for one believe they did an excellent job and takes my Super Snake to the next level.

DSC02078_zpsd0ea9969.jpg

DSC02079_zps72afae55.jpgDSC02080_zps77195f49.jpg

DSC02081_zps0d80117e.jpg

DSC02242_zpsaf8e7a5a.jpgDSC02241_zps96e712e5.jpgIMG_0841-1.jpgSAI_7184_zps8e088110.jpg

The kit will only install as well as the talent of the body person you hire. This is crucial.

That being said, no issues reported.

Jer

Well I went as far as calling shelby America,to get prices on the wide body kit,the kit was around 6000.00 ,the wheels were 5000.00 and I think that's with out any tires,when I asked how much they wanted to install the wide body kit,they said they dont do that they would just sell me the kit,so I was thinking about it maybe down the road in a couple years after I get the car paid for, but to be honest if they wouldn't install it at there facility where they do it all the time,I wouldn't be interested I would trust there professionalism more than anybody seeing as there doing this on a regular basis,I think the kit looks amazing will MIT hurt the value of the car down the road ???????? I dunno,but it looked really KOOL ,Donny know why they won't install there own product, but PROBALLY could not afford there labor anyway,but who knows there's always MasterCard. LOL

The kit will only install as well as the talent of the body person you hire. This is crucial.

That being said, no issues reported.

Jer

I think Jer is pretty much stating that they have had no issues with their installs.

The pakage was $18,000 installed, but we're currently not offering it on new orders because we are too busy!

The kit, and the wheels and tires, are available through SPP.

Anyone who's coming to the Bash should grab a few seconds with Vince LaViolette (designer of the widebody kit). A few minutes talking to him, you'll realize there's nothing to fear.

Jer

I think Jer is pretty much stating that they have had no issues with their installs.

I haven't heard of ANY, from anywhere.

Jer

I've also seen countless in person and have several customers who own wide body cars from Shelby and they are flawless - completely OEM in look and design.

EDIT: ... as opposed to "other" wide body conversions which IMHO are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing.

I have a 2014 shelby gt 500, they told me they would not install it,so I'm figuring if they don't install it there not liable for anything that goes wrong with it,therefore I would not purchase the kit,but. I'm sure they hold up fine,as long as it's not a daily driver,will see down the road,when I see one with 20k miles or sothey do look great,but 18k installed that's almost a third of what theses cars sell for,it's all erelovent how deep are your pockets,a. Few mods are great,but altering the body I don't think will make these cars worth anymore I don't think it's cost effective at all May ruin resale down the road 20 yrs, just think a 67 stock gt500 mint cond,Or a altered 67 gt 500. Fender flares different spoilers custom wheels sounds KOOL PROBALLY looks awesome,but for me I take the stock one,just seen to much fiberglass down the road chipped cracked spiderwebbing,I think I will pass.just my 2 cents

Is that why any wide body information (other than parts in SPP) is nearly impossible to find on the web site?

I'd be happy to help if you have questions, and frankly that figure for building a wide-body conversion is AMAZINGLY LOW! Now, you probably can FIND someone to do it cheaper.... but you won't want to. Done correctly, that price barely covers the real man-hours needed to invest in the kit. Plus, you need guys that really want to do it right. If you get someone doing it sloppy... again, will it really be worth the savings?

I'd be happy to help if you have questions, and frankly that figure for building a wide-body conversion is AMAZINGLY LOW! Now, you probably can FIND someone to do it cheaper.... but you won't want to. Done correctly, that price barely covers the real man-hours needed to invest in the kit. Plus, you need guys that really want to do it right. If you get someone doing it sloppy... again, will it really be worth the savings?

I already have a wide body that SA installed. I was trying to find some information for someone else a few weeks ago and noticed that it's not as prominent as it was a few months ago.

I already have a wide body that SA installed. I was trying to find some information for someone else a few weeks ago and noticed that it's not as prominent as it was a few months ago.

Pretty sure, as Jer said, they're just WAY backed up on wide-body conversion. Popular as they are, they can only make them as fast as they can.... and the move in the middle probably didn't help.

why don't they make a mold out of metal for the panels ,and cut and replace the rear panels, ? i dont know if that cost more or the time and labor to apply the panels cost more, i would think welding a panel would be stronger and no worries about cracking, i am not sure if making a molded panel is possible or cost effective ?

Both would cost WAY more, but the real reason we did it this way is so we don't compromise the integrity of your car's structure, OR its crash worthiness.

Jer

Can't even think about installing one of these,they look awesome,but man altering one of these cars would just be ridiculous,I can't imagine this kit not cracking all up in just a short time 3 or 4 yrs,unless just a show vehicle,or unless you were just a bazillionare and didn't matter how much u spent,but these fiberglass kits driven 5 k miles a year,I don't think so,can't see it holding up at all,but those 13" rims on the rear look killer

What car do you own?

I own a 2014 gt 500 white with matte black stripes,did I read right that shelby America said 18k was amazingly low for A WIDEBODY kit installed,WOW

No, you did not read that right, Jeff (HyperStangs) above said that was amazingly low, not SA. And he is right. However if you find a bodyshop that can do this, and find a real estimate with full installation and paintwork lower than that, then that would be good. There are tons of hours involved in this by a competent body man and painter. I have a custom body and paint guy who painted my GT-H and when we talked about this he came in very close to that number.

I own a 2014 gt 500 white with matte black stripes,did I read right that shelby America said 18k was amazingly low for A WIDEBODY kit installed,WOW

You have a cool car as is.

If you want to spend the bucks go for it.

You do realize that price also included wheels & tires? Let me change that, HUGE wheels & tires. I would think that MSRP just on the wheels & tires is over $5,000

Just something to consider.

Steve

You do realize that price also included wheels & tires? Let me change that, HUGE wheels & tires. I would think that MSRP just on the wheels & tires is over $5,000

Just something to consider.

Steve

Actually, that includes wheels and tires ONLY if you happen to be doing an entire package. The price itself really is just for the wide body since you're buying wheels and tires with the package anyway.... the wider ones are only marginally more than the regular size with either a Super Snake, GT350 etc.

Actually, that includes wheels and tires ONLY if you happen to be doing an entire package. The price itself really is just for the wide body since you're buying wheels and tires with the package anyway.... the wider ones are only marginally more than the regular size with either a Super Snake, GT350 etc.

I get your point with the SS package but what about the SGT cars, quite an increase from stock.

Steve

I get your point with the SS package but what about the SGT cars, quite an increase from stock.

Steve

Agreed, I can't say how they handle that jump. I know on our cars we've got the whole 18K in work and materials, but we also paint the whole car and add painted stripes.

Archived