TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Auto Choice

Mtcobra

Ok guys, I'm at a crossroads. What I really love about cars is taking them to the track. The Shelby always impresses me and I generally run toward the front in the middle run group. I could certainly pick up more speed just the way the car is with more driver modification but since my car does not even have the SVT package I can help but think how it would handle with new coilovers, watts, torque arm, etc.

I could put 10k into suspension/tires/wheels and have a finished product OR I could sell and add the 10k to a 2009-2012 Z06.

My concern is losing the value of the mods versus just buying a factory car.

I'm also wondering if a full Cortex/Griggs car runs with a Z06, everything else being equal.

Ahhh!!

The old "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. Let's just start with " There's no substitute for seat time" suggestion. You may need to be checked for "more mods" disease or the "better the car, the better a driver I'll become" infection. Seek out the opinion of a professional race coach @ your local road race course ( you will find them there normally on weekends ) and get the help you need. JMO

Ahhh!!

The old "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. Let's just start with " There's no substitute for seat time" suggestion. You may need to be checked for "more mods" disease or the "better the car, the better a driver I'll become" infection. Seek out the opinion of a professional race coach @ your local road race course ( you will find them there normally on weekends ) and get the help you need. JMO

Well said. After driver instruction, you should go pick up an older model Mustang or another car of your choice and thrash it. Our cars may or may not be collectible in the future. If we had a crystal ball, the answer would be obvious.

Mt, what tires do you run when at the track? Are they full race tires? While the suspension mods will help, the right tires is the place to start when at the track. Your suspension will work fairly well until you go past it's limits. If you are not running race tires, you haven't started working your suspension yet. A good set of springs to reduce your roll and drop your center of gravity with some race tires will completely change your car, until you're ready as a driver to make a bigger jump. No need to spend too much yet. I see you've already done some brake upgrades. There's a couple GT500 guys who spent a ton on their suspension at the Bash a couple of years ago who were extremely bummed when my 3.7 V6, auto tranny, rental car was passing them at Spring Mountain. I have been road racing for quite some time, but just throwing on a set of BFG R1's is all that took.

100_0337.jpg

LOL! Yes, I probably suffer from this syndrome.

The local road course instructor (Big Willow) felt like the car was capable of a few a second or two just the way it is.

No doubt I've picked up speed each time out so more seat time is legitimate.

Ahhh!!

I'm running MPSS. You make a good point about tires. I was planning on new tires and 18" wheels as well.

Mt, what tires do you run when at the track? Are they full race tires? While the suspension mods will help, the right tires is the place to start when at the track. Your suspension will work fairly well until you go past it's limits. If you are not running race tires, you haven't started working your suspension yet. A good set of springs to reduce your roll and drop your center of gravity with some race tires will completely change your car, until you're ready as a driver to make a bigger jump. No need to spend too much yet. I see you've already done some brake upgrades. There's a couple GT500 guys who spent a ton on their suspension at the Bash a couple of years ago who were extremely bummed when my 3.7 V6, auto tranny, rental car was passing them at Spring Mountain. I have been road racing for quite some time, but just throwing on a set of BFG R1's is all that took.

100_0337.jpg

Not to disagree with my Good friend Jeff ;) but, R1's are DOT radials race tire wanna be's LOL (they are a DOT Track Radial and a very good track tire) They will definitely improve your times but, they can also mask bad driving habits. As my other good friend Albino500 has said, work on your driving with an instructor. When you feel you cant go any faster, its time to talk about upgrades. GT500's are not the best track cars out of the box. The Corvette is a very capable car. Especially if you are older (like me) and are going through a mid-life crisis :) But when Jeff passes you in the V6 Mustang, how ya gonna feel then ;). If you want to change cars, look at the new Shelby GT. You would be shocked how well it will do

That being said, you can improve the handling of your current car and be faster than a whole host of supposedly superior rides. You also may want to consider changing groups. If your the fastest of the middle group, move up. Learn from faster folks

Not to disagree with my Good friend Jeff ;) but, R1's are DOT radials race tire wanna be's LOL (they are a DOT Track Radial and a very good track tire) They will definitely improve your times but, they can also mask bad driving habits. As my other good friend Albino500 has said, work on your driving with an instructor. When you feel you cant go any faster, its time to talk about upgrades. GT500's are not the best track cars out of the box. The Corvette is a very capable car. Especially if you are older (like me) and are going through a mid-life crisis :) But when Jeff passes you in the V6 Mustang, how ya gonna feel then ;). If you want to change cars, look at the new Shelby GT. You would be shocked how well it will do

That being said, you can improve the handling of your current car and be faster than a whole host of supposedly superior rides. You also may want to consider changing groups. If your the fastest of the middle group, move up. Learn from faster folks

All fair comments and I appreciate the help. I'm relatively sure I'm sticking with the GT500. It's paid for...why not keep it right. I did run 2 seconds a lap faster running in a combined group; I wasn't sure if this was due to adjusting my tire pressures, a lighter fuel load or just adjusting my line running with cars in a higher run group. Perhaps all 3.

One issue I have with R compound tires is I'm currently on temporary assignment in CA and I have to drive to the track with all my supplies in the car. I don't have anyone to haul tires (or come get me if I break something). I'd like to get 18" rims and may try the BFG Rivals.

I do enjoy passing cars that cost 2-3X this GT500.

Archived