TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Tune.....

gotoatz

CAI and TUNE  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Please just note what aftermarket tune you are running....

Installed the VMP Tune and 2.59" pulley on my 2011 and it was like poking a wild bear with a big stick. It was pretty mean to start with and once it got poked with a stick it became down right MEAN. The tune actually improved the drivability and improved my MPG (when I kept my foot out of it). My 2011 Shelby GT500 was a very easy car to drive in a normal manner, much easier to drive than my 2014 Shelby GT500. Maybe it's the new gear ratios in the transmission, or 3.31 rear axle ratio, or the 662 stock horsepower but it definitely is a different animal to drive in a normal manner (LOL). I find myself having to really slip the clutch as opposed to the 2011 when driving in town away from a traffic light or stop sign. I'm going to give it a few months and miles before going to another tune (and tune only this time) to see if it can improve it's drivability on the 2014 like it did to the 2011.

I was running a VMP 93 octane street tune, but I've now switched over to a LCR (Last Call Racing) tune after talking at length on the phone with the owner, Emerson.

http://www.lastcallracing.com/

Interesting.....Checked their site, had never heard of them before.....

Can you expand a bit on your impressions of the tune....difference that has kept you on their tune instead of VMP.....gains over stock...etc?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up going with the JLT big air CAI, and the Jon Lund tune.....

Dealt through ModifyMyStang on Ebay. I had a nice 10 % off coupon for EBay, which dropped my total down to 647.00.....good savings...

The tuner and tune are here, the CAI is scheduled to deliver tomorrow.

Now, all I need is my car back from the body shop from the recent accident. Should have her back middle to end of next week....Might have to take next Friday off, to install the

freshly painted side scoops and window scoops, and get the CAI and tune in.....

No better way to spend a day off, in my opinion!!!

Mike

Installed the VMP Tune and 2.59" pulley on my 2011 and it was like poking a wild bear with a big stick. It was pretty mean to start with and once it got poked with a stick it became down right MEAN. The tune actually improved the drivability and improved my MPG (when I kept my foot out of it). My 2011 Shelby GT500 was a very easy car to drive in a normal manner, much easier to drive than my 2014 Shelby GT500. Maybe it's the new gear ratios in the transmission, or 3.31 rear axle ratio, or the 662 stock horsepower but it definitely is a different animal to drive in a normal manner (LOL). I find myself having to really slip the clutch as opposed to the 2011 when driving in town away from a traffic light or stop sign. I'm going to give it a few months and miles before going to another tune (and tune only this time) to see if it can improve it's drivability on the 2014 like it did to the 2011.

Bill your just to old to handle that 2014 GT500. You should just swap cars with me. I think you'll be ok at my GT500's lower power level. Hehehe :)

Drive safe Bill.....and don't forget.....my offer stands. Lol ;)

Bill your just to old to handle that 2014 GT500. You should just swap cars with me. I think you'll be ok at my GT500's lower power level. Hehehe :)

Drive safe Bill.....and don't forget.....my offer stands. Lol ;)

Could be some truth to your statement . The other night I entered the 3-lane interstate highway and it was clear. I hammered it in 2nd gear to about 90 and slammed it into 3rd gear. It broke the backend loose and the car jumped to the right about a foot. I straightened it out and stayed in it. At about 130 I slammed it into 4th gear and it broke loose again and jumped a couple of feet to the right ... again. That was enough for me as I got it back straight and let it coast back down to the limit. I about had to throw away that pair of underwear I was wearing when I got home. I may have to invest in a box of Depends if I do that again. :drop:

Could be some truth to your statement . The other night I entered the 3-lane interstate highway and it was clear. I hammered it in 2nd gear to about 90 and slammed it into 3rd gear. It broke the backend loose and the car jumped to the right about a foot. I straightened it out and stayed in it. At about 130 I slammed it into 4th gear and it broke loose again and jumped a couple of feet to the right ... again. That was enough for me as I got it back straight and let it coast back down to the limit. I about had to throw away that pair of underwear I was wearing when I got home. I may have to invest in a box of Depends if I do that again. :drop:

That precise maneuver is probably what cost the driver of the Ford GT that belonged to Selma Hayek's brother his life... You're lucky it only sidestepped. More frequently is sideways. Be very careful! Maybe your tranction/stability control saved your life (which the GT does not have).

Glad you are OK and you did not wad up your new Shelby. Looks like some suspension mods and better tires are in your future to get the power to the ground smartly.

Glad you are OK and you did not wad up your new Shelby. Looks like some suspension mods and better tires are in your future to get the power to the ground smartly.

Oh believe me, the Michelins are in the near future, but who in the Hell expects a stock car to break traction at 130 mph on a dry smooth road? :cool:

RESPECT the power my friend. Respect the power... And remember how nose heavy these cars are which is a huge contributor to the GT500 being "tail happy".

Glad you got it under control Bill. I had a close call when I first bought my car. I was rounding a curve up in the mountains at about 100 mph when I spotted a 10 gallon bucket sitting in my lane. I could feel the stability control get me in check after I pulled of the steering wheel a touch to hard. Pretty scary!!

Installed the JLT CAI today, then loaded up the Jon Lund tune........................................................................Incredible Tune.......Pulls like a freight train in second gear. Haven't had a freeway shot to run it up in third too much.

Love the fact that you can REALLY hear the blower now. Excellent!!!

Oh, and great side benefit of the tune. They shut off that annoying up-shift arrow on the dash!!

Awesome, glad I listened.....

Mike

I recently had a local shop install the goodies I've been collecting:

JLT 127mm CF CAI

VMP 2.5" stock look pulley

Ford Racing twin 65mm throttle body

They were going to create their own custom tune when the dyno shop they use closed unexpectedly.

After ordering the wrong tune from their website; I called VMP Friday afternoon and got a call back from Justin within a couple of hours. I had a tune file in my inbox before the end of the day.

Over the weekend the check engine light came on. I scanned the code, emailed Justin, and got a new file Sunday night.

AWESOME customer service and incredible power. I'm loving it!

I had a VMP tune on my 05. IT was a fantastic tune, no doubt. That goes back awhile.

I finally had a chance this morning, while getting on the freeway to work, to wind her out a bit in third gear........HOLY CRAP!!! I thought second gear was a monster...get into third and it is a SHE-BEAST!! I have never realized such a huge difference with a tune and CAI. I now understand all the raving over Jon Lund tunes I have read.

On the street, it is as polite as it can be. Hammer down, and hold on to your butt........SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!!!! Love it...

Mike

Installed the JLT CAI today, then loaded up the Jon Lund tune....

No pulley or Idler swap, just a CAI and tune? I have heard the CAI/Tune combo adds about 40 HP, you need to swap the pulley to get some stronger power numbers. You seem pretty happy with the results of the CAI/Tune only.

No pulley or Idler swap, just a CAI and tune? I have heard the CAI/Tune combo adds about 40 HP, you need to swap the pulley to get some stronger power numbers. You seem pretty happy with the results of the CAI/Tune only.

I am very pleased with CAI and tune only. In checking with multiple vendors, several have claimed up to 80HP gain with CAI and Tune. They then say 100+HP gains with CAI, Tune, Pulley swap and plugs.....

Do I necessarily believe these claims? No. Without data, it's just an opinion. But I can tell you that my "seat of the pants opinion" is, that I surely gained well more than 40 HP over stock. Do I suspect 80 HP gain? Probably not, but maybe......

The other deciding factor for me is that I still have like 5 years of warranty left. It was a Certified Used Ford. So, I can easily pull the CAI and tune, swap back to stock, drive for awhile, and probably not get questioned on Warranty work if needed. Do not want to screw with a pulley right now, especially if it is only another 20 or so HP, for a cost difference of almost 400 additional bucks......

JMO,

Mike

Hey fellas: I have a quick question. I have been running the JLT cold air kit without the Metco pulley and the SCT tune since the 2nd week of owning the car back in 12/08. Very happy with the tune and it cleaned up the powerband. Recently, I added the Metco pulley/ilder/plugs and re-flashed the SCT tune to accommodate the new parts. My friend and racing mechanic gave me some words of caution that have me thinking and stated even though the JLT SCT tune is somewhat customized by JLT it is still a generic tune at the end of the day (which I agree). However, he stated if I plan to go to the track and run the car hard for long periods of time, I could potentially damage the engine if the tune is not dead on accurate for how my car performs under extreme conditions. That gives me a moment of pause. Last thing I want to do is blow up my engine having fun at a track day.

I have a local guy (he is good but kind of a tool) who can dyno the car and custom tune. He is running a dynojet and markets on his site that every mail order tune is going to be wrong. Needless to say he is a little proud for my taste, but he's all I have to work with unless I travel further north (which I may do).

So do you guys think I'm going to have to get a custom tune or am I relatively safe with the JLT tune? JLT states I'll be fine, but I would like to get some 2nd opinions.

Just my opinion Viper......

If it was me, which it is not....I would not track the car on anything but an individualized dyno tune. While i believe the tuners today are doing excellent work, you are correct in that at least part of their tune could be considered a canned tune. Every car is going to have it's own unique "conditions". Those conditions would probably not show themselves between cars on the street. Face it, probably the worst flogging we give our cars on the street are either on a freeway on ramp, or, Signal to Signal against the idiot in the........................(insert your choice of idiots)

Tracking the car would subject it to a much more prolonged opportunity for heat soak, which of course will lead to timing being pulled from the tune, which leaves the situation ripe for a problematic air / fuel ratio, which of course has the sad opportunity for BOOM!!!!!!!

Again, just my opinion my friend. I have been using canned tunes from several vendors for the last 8 years on Mustangs. Never had an issue. Never tracked one however.......

Mike

Deep down I think I knew the answer before I asked... Every time I turn around there is another project that requires me to throw more cha ching at the car. Slippery slope.

I was hoping I could get away with colder plugs, 100 octane fuel, and the extreme duty heat exchanger to combat the heat soak and then I would not need a custom tune. Guess that was a fools bet. Time to go find my Shelby wallet (or what's left of it). Would have been cheaper at this point to keep the '09 car stock and buy a dedicated track weapon.

A canned tune is a tune developed on another " modded " car. The tuner hopes by matching your mods to the to the mods in that tune, it will work well in your car. This is why people who buy canned tunes have so many revisions.......( mods are close to matching & the 1st tune kinda works, many threads on the SVTP site. )

A custom tune was developed for your car with your mods & is the result of hours of driving & datalogging by the tuner.

......................The tune in my 2011 is a " 1 off " tune, there may be " canned " tunes made from it.

• 5 months later...

Last week I returned from Calgary, AB where I had my 2012 GT500 introduced to a Steeda CAI, BBK Throttle Body, a Steeda S/C pulley..... plus a Lund tune / SCT X4..... check out www.wm ing.com ....all this rang in at well under 2,000.00 CAD... When stock at 4,000 kms (2500 miles?)..... at 1st service I had it dyno'd at Brown Bros Ford Lincoln SVT (Vancouver BC) section.... it rang in at: 483 hp 473 ft/lbs on a hot day.... The difference is pretty hairy I'd say.... I don't beat on my machine in the least but I do like to give it a little 'shot'.... when traffic condx allow..... It's as far as I'll go with this car.... unless I find 5k $$$ next time I take a walk on the beach.... when I would consider a supercharger from 2013/14 model.... I think I'll stick with her the way she is now..... The extra giddy-up is very apparent so I got my money's worth.... I'm very happy.... not happy about having probably voided the warranty but like I said.... I don't beat on the car and I trust that Ford makes excellent durable engines...

Archived