TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cheap Press-Board Trunk Insert Has Broken!

msbmustang

I have tried several simple ways to fix the large "Cheap Trunk Press-board Insert" that goes over the spare tire hole in the trunk but it has broken...again! :rant2:

The biggest problem is that the very narrow lip that Press-board Insert sits on is too short! (The lip is part of the large plastic piece that covers the rear tail lights inside the trunk.) Because of this narrow lip the cheap/thin press-board piece (with the black felt glued on it) is bent now and will not stay on the lip. I assume this is a common problem? (Is it only bad in the 2007-2009 models?)

I guess I could just throw the piece away and leave the area open, but I thought a member of this group must have come up with a more elegant solution by now.

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

Nope - just need relatively thin gauge aluminum, then use high density foam pieces under it and you will be forever good to go. It would be cool, though, to have Shelby make that piece. Talk about low tech.

Jim

I have tried several simple ways to fix the large "Cheap Trunk Press-board Insert" that goes over the spare tire hole in the trunk but it has broken...again! :rant2:

The biggest problem is that the very narrow lip that Press-board Insert sits on is too short! (The lip is part of the large plastic piece that covers the rear tail lights inside the trunk.) Because of this narrow lip the cheap/thin press-board piece (with the black felt glued on it) is bent now and will not stay on the lip. I assume this is a common problem? (Is it only bad in the 2007-2009 models?)

I guess I could just throw the piece away and leave the area open, but I thought a member of this group must have come up with a more elegant solution by now.

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

This is very timely. I'm working on something right now in that regard. I am in the process of fabricating a couple of rear seat delete panels. I found a rear seat delete kit on e-bay for around $135 decided to make my own so I went looking for the " 1/8 inch Hardboard" it says it's made of. I found it at The Home Depot but looking for something better than 'pressed board' (which it turns out 'hardboard' is) I found 1/8" Oak HardWOOD that appears to be much stronger and more visibly pleasing. During the fabrication of my rear seat delete panel templates I too ended up noticing a broken trunk bottom and noticed it is indeed, made out of the same "Hardboard" that the e-bay rear seat delete kit is made of.

I think I may be making a trunk floor out of the extra hardWOOD I'll have left over from the 4' x 8' sheet I'm buying (~$25 per sheet).

I've made aluminum panels before and they're like a freakin' drum skin when you drive down the road unless you 'break' some stiffening creases in them. Not having a sheet break at my disposal any longer, that would make it a expensive proposition so that's another reason not to use aluminum IMO.

More as I get it fabricated.......

Phill

I've been thinking that high quality birch aircraft plywood, the kind used by R/C plane and boat builders, would be a perfect material. Strong, lightweight and nice looking. It comes in every thickness, from about 1/32" to over 1/2", uses many thin laminations and doesn't easily delaminate.

A second best to carbon fiber, I think, but should deaden sound better.

Wow I can tell it's been a long winter... :kookie: Maybe stop with the bodies in the trunk. Just an idea... :lol:

That was my question. What the heck are you putting back there to break it? I've had wheels, tires, luggage, fully loaded 4V heads back there and haven't ever cracked mine. :hysterical2:

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

yep, mine cracked too... a while ago. for now, i just bought a 3-inch, round, coaster-like foot peg that you would use on furniture feet and adhered it directly over the spot where the board rests on the screw holding the tire inflation kit. it works, but i would love to find a better-than-stock replacement option.

A second best to carbon fiber, I think, but should deaden sound better.

Have you looked at how your stock one is built?

Mine (2010) is built like a sandwich; A sheet of ~1/8" hardboard (pressed board) with a slice of styrofoam between it and another sheet of ~1/8" hardboard. I ASSUME that is for the sound dampening effect. I found some thicker styrofoam board that I'm thinking about adding to the back of my rear seat delete panel to help kill the sounds you get from the trunk area, which is substantial.

I have my rear seats/brackets out AND everything in the trunk out (tire inflator kit, trunk floor, etc. and when I drive the car I hear every piece of stone and gravel hitting the inner fenderwell, plus the exhaust and the UCA when I go over bumps. I was surprised at how much noise the seats and trunk floor suppress noise.

Phill

While I don't normally carry anything heavy in the trunk, when my garage thaws out, I may make something to help prop it up before it breaks.

Mine broke on the forward piece, where it bends/curves up, not the flat bottom piece. And it's more likely from having it sitting on top of my garbage toter while I work on the rear seat delete panels then from anything heavy sitting on it (since I don't think I've ever had anything TOO heavy on it).

Phill

Most responses I have ever had for a post! However I was hoping someone knew of a good aftermarket part but it appears that does not exist. By the way mine is just a single piece of chip board. It is not a sandwich configuration with damping material in between.

A full size spare to support it actually sounds like a good idea but mine is so badly warped it will have to be replaced regardless. I was thinking of getting some new 18" black GT4 9/10" wheels from American Muscle with the silver lip. Then I could get the Continental ExtremeContact DW to replace my Nitto Extreme 555 that I hate . Then I could use one of my 4 orig wheels/tires as a spare for support. Not sure which tire would be best for the spare. the 255 or the 285?

Anyway, it sounds like I have to go buy a piece of 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch MDF board and then cut a new trunk piece out of it to fit. (MDF is great stuff as I have been using the 1" MDF to make high end speaker enclosures for decades! It does eat saw blades though and makes a ton of dust.) It will be a bit heavier but will not warp. (Anyway a little extra weight over the rear wheels in these cars is not a bad thing!) Still have to come up with a way to keep it from moving off the lip. Of course if it is stiff enough it won't matter if it comes off the lip! Then there is the issue of that curved plastic piece on the end that mates to to the area in back of the seats. What ever end up building I am sure it will be cheaper than buying a replacement one from Ford!

Mine is actually warped several inches in the middle. I flipped it over on the day of my original posting and it has not even started to bend back to flat again! Of course it has taken over 6 years to get to where is it right now.

Thanks everyone for all the posts. It has been a big help with my "How Do I Solve This" decision process. :banghead:

MSB Mustang / Mark

By the way mine is just a single piece of chip board. It is not a sandwich configuration with damping material in between.

Here's a idea. Find a 2010 or newer Mustang and get the trunk bottom from it. Apparently they are different from earlier models. Like I said, the part that busted on mine is the curved up (molded) piece that goes up to the back of the seats and when it's in the trunk, you can't see it where it's broke (right on the curved spot).

My trunk FLOOR is fine, other than the double sided tape not sticking the sandwiched part together. But that's a easy fix from Wal-mart where I bought two rolls of double sided TAPE (not FOAM tape, just the carpet tape type).

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Everyone.

I will try and find someone local with a 2010 so I can look at the trunk. Also I will see if the 255's fit in the "Hole" in the trunk.

Now I need to save my pennies for a set of these wheels http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-gt4-wheels-0511.html#shop-by1

and the Continental Extreme Contact DW's to replace my noisy, rough ride and not great on launch Nitto 555 extremes. They do corner well l though and wear really well...but since I want to get rid of them I wish they did not wear so well!

Off to change a fuel filter that my wife is picking up at ORiley's right now. Been too long since the last change.

MSB Mustang / Mark

Archived