TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I happen to like Gene Simmons, but the truck we are in complete agreement on. That was a build to promote HIS interests, not Carroll's.

We HAVE had this discussion before. And its still all good. Your opinion is definitely good for SA sales!

I like Simmons too and I REALLY like Shannon, but yes the truck was too much, the only saving grace was it all went to charity and that is all good. Many of my car friends don't understand my loyalty to SAI for certain vehicles. When I was shopping for a Cobra, to me the only place to go is SAI, while my friends tried to steer me to Kirkham, SuperPerformance, etc. I just always feel something that has the "Shelby" or Shelby associated name on it, should be made (at least partially) at SAI. Just old fashioned I guess. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your points Dubbs, we have debated it several times. But a Corvette will always be a Corvette, even if Harly Earl, etc. are all gone, but they are not named or indicative of any one person, no "Earls" or Duntovs" or "Brocks" or Shinodas", they are Corvettes, and evolved no matter who was in charge at GM's Chevrolet and Corvette divisions, just like a Ford is a Ford. A Shelby denotes a specific person and always has. The Ford Motor Company survives quite nicely without Henry, because the same company and same manegement is still making Fords, that analogy is not true for Shelbys unless you involve Shelby American and its' successors, just like Ford Motors. So I see it as very different, but just IMO. Others can evoke the "Spirit of Shelby" to justify all manner of things, like the Kiss guy and his nudie girlfriend selling an F-1 pickup at BJ with Cobras on it and calling it a "Shelby". That is a bridge to far for me, but I imagine that if Ford bought the rights to use CS's name on anything it wants to build, then so be it. But, it doesn't force me to recognize a 2033 GT350 or GT500 called a Shelby as a Shelby on par with others from when CS was actually involved with the cars. As I said, SVT has as good if not better name for building performance cars than Shelby, and the numerous names Ford has had over the years that compete and eclipse Shelby's for performance, like Mach 1, Cobra Jet, Boss, etc. are just as strong marques IMO.

One thing about me not owning a real Shelby shows that I am not biased, but consider that my feeling as a passionate Shelby enthusiasts comes from the heart. I am confused at your statement. In a nut shell, sounds like you are slapping Shelby in the face while owning a Shelby. Their are a few successful car company, as well as other product types out there that the owner/founder is long gone, yet the business has maintained a steady fan base, sometimes they even have grown stronger over the years ie; Ferrari, Carls Jr., Mooneyes and so on. As far as management, SAI has been maintaining the same direction since Carroll Shelbys passing. Like I said before, SAI said, as well as from the man himself, Carroll Shelby, stating that the playbook was made to set SAI on a coarse for the next 50 years! I do not know what you think, but that is enough to tell me his hands are very much a part of every vehicle that bears his name.I am pretty damn sure ol' Carroll is smiling down at his little company and the team running it.

You're right, I am being too picky I guess. It is just that all my life CS was around, and a Shelby was a special car he was involved with. I am hoping and feel confident SAI will continue his legacy, no problem there. I am just not so sure about Ford and how they intend to use his name on their products they now have a license to use, apparently. There have been some in the past, notably in the '70s and '80s, where Ford tried to use Shelby monikers that, IMO, were not along the lines Shelby would have wanted. The fact he sued them for one egregious example, shows when he was alive, he was looking after his legacy, so what about now? But like I said, since CS has passed, and deals have been done, I am just looking forward to what comes out of Detroit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You mean like Henry Ford passing 60 years ago, and still calling all these Ford's?

Bad analogy. VERY bad analogy.

Ford and Ferrari are the two companies that keep being brought up as examples of dead men whose companies continue on with their names.

When Henry Ford died his son took over.

When Enzo died his son took over.

BOTH (Ford & Ferrari) have namesakes at the helm to this day.

Yes, Ford still has a Ford (heir) at the helm as does Ferrari. Which "Shelby" son took over the helm of Shelby American when Carroll died?

Oh yeah, John Luft...and now Joe Conway. Neither are Shelby's (by name).

Again, bad analogy.

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Bad analogy. VERY bad analogy.

Ford and Ferrari are the two companies that keep being brought up as examples of dead men whose companies continue on with their names.

When Henry Ford died his son took over.

When Enzo died his son took over.

BOTH (Ford & Ferrari) have namesakes at the helm to this day.

Yes, Ford still has a Ford (heir) at the helm as does Ferrari. Which "Shelby" son took over the helm of Shelby American when Carroll died?

Oh yeah, John Luft...and now Joe Conway. Neither are Shelby's (by name).

Again, bad analogy.

Phill

Phill,

Joe Conway has been at the helm of the Shelby parent company for over a decade. He was hand picked by Carroll.

(While he is not Shelby's son, he IS family.). I don't think Ford and Ferrari are in a different class because they went with a son instead of a nephew.

I don't think Ford and Ferrari are in a different class because they went with a son instead of a nephew.

My point is/was, a Ford and a Ferrarri continued the company when their founder died, hence the namesake continues. Not so with Shelby American and those two companies (Ford/Ferrarri) are too often thrown out there as analogies or comparisons.

I know Joe is a nephew or cousin (something like that) which is why I said, "Neither (Luft or Conway) are Shelby's (by name)."

Phill

I guess what I'm saying is - I don't think a "Cobra" announcement is coming before the car it will be built on is announced. And a motortrend pr article isn't an announcement, just a little hype.

So whatever "soon" means, Ford has to make a "sooner" one.

(Plus, whatever is on the drawing board at Shelby, they gotta get their hands on one first).

If I had to guess, I'm thinking Ford announces the 350 in December or February of next year. Have no idea. Heard many things, but Anyone that knows Ford, knows that things change overnight. What is fact today, is fiction tomorrow.

Can't wait to see it though.

I guess what I'm saying is - I don't think a "Cobra" announcement is coming before the car it will be built on is announced. And a motortrend pr article isn't an announcement, just a little hype.

So whatever "soon" means, Ford has to make a "sooner" one.

(Plus, whatever is on the drawing board at Shelby, they gotta get their hands on one first).

If I had to guess, I'm thinking Ford announces the 350 in December or February of next year. Have no idea. Heard many things, but Anyone that knows Ford, knows that things change overnight. What is fact today, is fiction tomorrow.

Can't wait to see it though.

Looking forward to seeing what Ford/SVT and hopefully SAI have to offer for the 2016 GT350.

Tony,

Tall order there, but maybe a next gen FGT???

There are rumors of a new high performance car but it is economically infeasible for Ford to repeat the Ford GT. The market above $100K isn't there and a Ford GT today would have to sticker out at 250K to make any sense. For that money people will really go up to a McLaren or Ferrari. Remember it wasn't due to lack of market response to the FGT that it was discontinued, it was due to the low profile and other safety things that kicked in. As a result the last remaining production were all Canadian cars.

If Ford wanted to get into the high performance market it would HAVE to be on something besides a Mustang platform. If they wanted to do something that would compete with the better equipped Corvettes (e.g., decked out Z06 or ZR1) or that would compete with the Viper that would be priced in the $100K-$150K range. In the old days I would instruct Ford to buy Lotus and capitalize on (1) the Elise/Exige market and (2) get back into F1 racing. But that won't happen.

No matter what this time they will have to project sales of at least 100K units over the production lifetime or they will not recoup the engineering costs.

Meanwhile, Ford will NOT cannibalize their Mustang market.

I have no insider info, just the FGT experience, a lot about market driven dynamics, and intuition (aka gut feel).

None, but What do they have that can compete in the Musclecar class?

They don't have anything except the Mustang, and I don't think they would do anything that would cannibalize that business. So like I said above, they need to do something "bigger, faster, better" than a Mustang, but not with the engineering and support costs of a new "supercar/Hypercar" platform. Their target market would have to be the guys that buy upper end Corvettes or Vipers. And the target market for those cars is dwindling fast. I don't expect the Viper to hang around for too much longer.

Archived