TEAM SHELBY FORUM

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I knew they had licensed the "GT350" name but didn't know they also included the "Shelby" licensed name in that.

One reason I wondered is that all the press has referred to it as the "Ford Mustang GT350", and never the "Shelby GT350", like here:

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mustang-gt350-sounds-like-the-devil-himse-1402099507

And here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1402-2015-ford-mustang-gt350-spied-again/

The Shelby's are great but I'm hoping FORD brings back the Mach 1 and sooner than later... still have my Dad's 73 Mach 1 my first car was a 70 Mach1

I am not going down this rat hole BUT....... Carroll was involved from the very start of the Ford Shelby GT500 and he was the first one to tell you that.

Saying 07 to 14 GT500s are not real Shelbys is like saying 68 - 70 GT350s and 500s are not real Shelbys - ludicrous. There will be Shelby DNA in Ford products for years to come.

BTW - the 2015 GT in silver on the cover of the new Mustang Monthly is a star!

I would not argue about CS being involved in the recent GT500s, that is a given and an established fact. BUT, I would like to hear the explanation Ford would give for a 2015 or 2016 GT350 wrt CS's involvement. That's a little thin IMO, not being built at SAI is one thing, just rubbing some CS DNA over a car years after his death and calling it a "Shelby" that CS was involved with is something completely different. I don't really like silver, but to each his own wrt "tastes" in colors, etc.

Ford has enough legacy names for performance Mustangs to use: Cobra, Bullit, Boss, Mach I, etc. Since there is no connection for the next series of GT350 Mustangs, I do not think it should be licensed with the Shelby moniker. They should make it the new SVT Cobra as that will come out of that Ford shop and not Shelby American.

Ford has enough legacy names for performance Mustangs to use: Cobra, Bullit, Boss, Mach I, etc. Since there is no connection for the next series of GT350 Mustangs, I do not think it should be licensed with the Shelby moniker. They should make it the new SVT Cobra as that will come out of that Ford shop and not Shelby American.

Well, I am very optimistic that SAI will do a post title set up for the 15 GT350s, thus solving some peoples issue regarding a Shelby connection. Just think when you all bought your GT Mustangs from Ford and had them sent to SAI. You know that potential buyers of theses 350's will not leave the car stock and have SAI give them some goodies. I know that's what I would do! Stop and think everyone, Mr. Shelby said, and SAI also confirms that Shelby wrote the book/guide for SAI for the next 50 years. So, my conclusion is that Carroll Shelby has already given his approval for his products for the next 50 years. I consider it my belief that he still has that connection that everyone thinks is now void. This is how is legacy will keep going on, so please don't argue or don't doubt Shelby DNA, because that will lead to destroying the legacy. I do not really care for the 15 Mustang look, but will stand behind anything Shelby. Just my $.02.

Now thats a good idea Naja!

I, too, think a Terminator and a Mach 1 would be cool. I think they should have kept the 5.4 a couple more years and brought back the Boss 351. That would have been awesome.

I'm hopeful that the Mach 1 will make its return (With Shaker hood scoop). Speculation is nice, but so far these drawings and models are just a way to try to have fun or cast doubt on Ford.

Just like the 2015 Mustang. We got all these drawings, a lot of people freaked out, and then the drawings were wrong. Shocker. :doh:

Its a nice idea (the photoshop thing above) and I await the actual line up when it comes time. However, it has to be kept in mind that these renditions of possibilities are usually not related in any way to the actual product.

I would not argue about CS being involved in the recent GT500s, that is a given and an established fact. BUT, I would like to hear the explanation Ford would give for a 2015 or 2016 GT350 wrt CS's involvement. That's a little thin IMO, not being built at SAI is one thing, just rubbing some CS DNA over a car years after his death and calling it a "Shelby" that CS was involved with is something completely different. I don't really like silver, but to each his own wrt "tastes" in colors, etc.

You mean like Henry Ford passing 60 years ago, and still calling all these Ford's? They aren't disciples, they are cars. CS didnt have to screw on the shifter knob to be anointed then adorned with the name. The guys that designed the original Vette are dead and buried too, but you wouldn't say today's Vette is less Vette than the early models, yes?

And to say that SAI touching it legitimizes it is just as crazy. You think a Raptor or a focus with the Shelby package is more a Shelby than a Perfromance mustang that outperforms its competition with the GT500 or 350 name because its built in Flatrock under license?

I just can't make that jump in logic IMHO. You are certainly entitled to that opinion, and I know the old school Shelby guys have a majority view in that respect to all Shelbys built after 1970s, but the genie is out of the bottle and its not going to change.

The Shelby name will live on ONLY if we, the enthusiast, allow and embrace it as symbol of competitive performance and quality.

Besides, if I wear Ralph Lauren clothing, and he dies, do I start looking for another brand because any shirt I get after that won't be a real Polo? That would be somewhat short sighted.

None of us can speak for CS, but we all wish for some sort of legacy to leave when we shed this world, and I wouldn't like someone discouraging my name from living on when its my time to go.

You mean like Henry Ford passing 60 years ago, and still calling all these Ford's? They aren't disciples, they are cars. CS didnt have to screw on the shifter knob to be anointed then adorned with the name. The guys that designed the original Vette are dead and buried too, but you wouldn't say today's Vette is less Vette than the early models, yes?

And to say that SAI touching it legitimizes it is just as crazy. You think a Raptor or a focus with the Shelby package is more a Shelby than a Perfromance mustang that outperforms its competition with the GT500 or 350 name because its built in Flatrock under license?

I just can't make that jump in logic IMHO. You are certainly entitled to that opinion, and I know the old school Shelby guys have a majority view in that respect to all Shelbys built after 1970s, but the genie is out of the bottle and its not going to change.

The Shelby name will live on ONLY if we, the enthusiast, allow and embrace it as symbol of competitive performance and quality.

Besides, if I wear Ralph Lauren clothing, and he dies, do I start looking for another brand because any shirt I get after that won't be a real Polo? That would be somewhat short sighted.

None of us can speak for CS, but we all wish for some sort of legacy to leave when we shed this world, and I wouldn't like someone discouraging my name from living on when its my time to go.

+1. Well said.

Apparently the 5.8 will not fit between the strut towers of the new 2015. So I don't see it happening.

Yes it will but not under the hood.

You Heard it here first - the Trinity ,motor returns in the s550 with anew hood as 2016 model year car

I understand your points Dubbs, we have debated it several times. But a Corvette will always be a Corvette, even if Harly Earl, etc. are all gone, but they are not named or indicative of any one person, no "Earls" or Duntovs" or "Brocks" or Shinodas", they are Corvettes, and evolved no matter who was in charge at GM's Chevrolet and Corvette divisions, just like a Ford is a Ford. A Shelby denotes a specific person and always has. The Ford Motor Company survives quite nicely without Henry, because the same company and same manegement is still making Fords, that analogy is not true for Shelbys unless you involve Shelby American and its' successors, just like Ford Motors. So I see it as very different, but just IMO. Others can evoke the "Spirit of Shelby" to justify all manner of things, like the Kiss guy and his nudie girlfriend selling an F-1 pickup at BJ with Cobras on it and calling it a "Shelby". That is a bridge to far for me, but I imagine that if Ford bought the rights to use CS's name on anything it wants to build, then so be it. But, it doesn't force me to recognize a 2033 GT350 or GT500 called a Shelby as a Shelby on par with others from when CS was actually involved with the cars. As I said, SVT has as good if not better name for building performance cars than Shelby, and the numerous names Ford has had over the years that compete and eclipse Shelby's for performance, like Mach 1, Cobra Jet, Boss, etc. are just as strong marques IMO.

I happen to like Gene Simmons, but the truck we are in complete agreement on. That was a build to promote HIS interests, not Carroll's.

We HAVE had this discussion before. And its still all good. Your opinion is definitely good for SA sales!

Archived