TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Stinks...

Eric Etkin

You've got that right Eric...... 12 more inches of snow and 2-4 " this Saturday !!!!!!!!!!!! When will this f****ng winter END !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you wish Global Warming was the truth? Oh yeah, it's climate change and the winter is also our fault.

I think of it this way. If we'd had the 16" of rain we got that caused the flooding in September this last February we would have had somewhere between 16-30' of snow all at once.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's after five pm here in San Diego, and the temperature in my den is 73.3 F, with a tiny breeze to make the ambient absolutely perfect. Why does anyone persist in living anywhere else? I always ask.

Don't mention that in five years SoCal will be out of water and we'll be restricted to one shower or bath a week, whether we need it or not.

It's after five pm here in San Diego, and the temperature in my den is 73.3 F, with a tiny breeze to make the ambient absolutely perfect. Why does anyone persist in living anywhere else? I always ask.

Don't mention that in five years SoCal will be out of water and we'll be restricted to one shower or bath a week, whether we need it or not.

Hmmmmm.....Earthquakes, Fires, Mud Slides, Pollution, High Taxes, Bankrupt Government, Strange laws Corrupt Politicians, etc………. :hysterical:

Hi Frank,

Yeah, I know. Don't rub it in. Been there, done that. And for the life of me I can't figure out why I left to move to the frozen state of Kansas. Worse yet, I can't afford to move back..........

Mark

Hi Frank,

Yeah, I know. Don't rub it in. Been there, done that. And for the life of me I can't figure out why I left to move to the frozen state of Kansas. Worse yet, I can't afford to move back..........

Mark

Funny- as I sit here in our little town of 350 people I think of why people stay here besides it is home. No traffic, no ethnic diversity whatsoever, no crime, no malls or McDonalds within 130 miles, no Walmart, no unemployment, no café after 3pm, grocery store closes at 3pm on Sat and closed on Sun, hospital is 45 mi away, more cattle than people in the county and too much more to mention. Basketball game and darts are the big draws on Fri nights and oh yes no smog. But wouldn't be anywhere else I guess.

Funny- as I sit here in our little town of 350 people I think of why people stay here besides it is home. No traffic, no ethnic diversity whatsoever, no crime, no malls or McDonalds within 130 miles, no Walmart, no unemployment, no café after 3pm, grocery store closes at 3pm on Sat and closed on Sun, hospital is 45 mi away, more cattle than people in the county and too much more to mention. Basketball game and darts are the big draws on Fri nights and oh yes no smog. But wouldn't be anywhere else I guess.

The sad part about location (as in life) is everything is a trade off. Good weather vs butt a** cold winters, Open spaces vs your neighbor living 3 feet away. Smog vs the smell wafting over the feed lot. Tornado's vs earthquakes. Most of all, it's what you are use to and can live with.

Mark

Hmmmmm.....Earthquakes, Fires, Mud Slides, Pollution, High Taxes, Bankrupt Government, Strange laws Corrupt Politicians, etc………. :hysterical:

OK.... this is just freaky. As I was reading this response, my house started shaking for about 5-10 seconds. No kidding! :runaway: I think I just experienced my first earthquake (albeit very mild).

Edit: It was an earthquake! Approximately 100 miles from my house and I felt it here. Wow!

EDGEFIELD, S.C. -- The U.S. Geological Survey has confirmed an earthquake in South Carolina. The epicenter of the earthquake was in Edgefield, which is southwest of Columbia.

The earthquake measured 4.4 on Richter Scale. It happened at 10:23 p.m. There are no reports of damage at this time. The earthquake could be felt in Charlotte. Many people are posting on their social media pages that they felt it in southeast Charlotte.

OK.... this is just freaky. As I was reading this response, my house started shaking for about 5-10 seconds. No kidding! :runaway: I think I just experienced my first earthquake (albeit very mild).

Interesting. The USGS just reported a quake 7.5 miles West Northwest of Edgefield, South Carolina. Magnitude 4.4 about 20 minutes ago.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000mr27#summary

Mark

Sorry, forgot to add, dude.......rock-n-roll!

Edit: It was an earthquake! Approximately 100 miles from my house and I felt it here. Wow!

EDGEFIELD, S.C. -- The U.S. Geological Survey has confirmed an earthquake in South Carolina. The epicenter of the earthquake was in Edgefield, which is southwest of Columbia.

The earthquake measured 4.4 on Richter Scale. It happened at 10:23 p.m. There are no reports of damage at this time. The earthquake could be felt in Charlotte. Many people are posting on their social media pages that they felt it in southeast Charlotte.

Cool isn't it! Now try a 7.1..........

Mark

Cool isn't it! Now try a 7.1..........

Mark

Yeah... that was different. I just experienced my first earthquake and lived to tell about it! :bliss: SHAKE AND BAKE!!!!

Yeah... that was different. I just experienced my first earthquake and lived to tell about it! :bliss: SHAKE AND BAKE!!!!

A 4.1 will get your attention (the USGS just down graded it). The house shakes, windows rattle and you feel a little dizzy. Glad there was no damage reported.

Mark

PS, There is nothing like your first.....

Oh yes-no earthquakes here either unless the volcano that is in Yellowstone erupts and that will probably have a huge effect on us. No hurricanes except for a tornado once in a while. Yes, it is what you are willing to trade off and what you are used to. Seems like people raised here can go to all parts of the world and live but people that aren't from here find dealing with the area difficult at best to live in. We never locked our house until the last couple of years-there is some traffic going through to the oil fields in ND but not a lot at least not yet.

Can't believe there was an earthquake in SC! How strange.

You are SOOOO Right........

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/light-moderate-quake-rattles-south-carolina-georgia-n31046

Oh yes-no earthquakes here either unless the volcano that is in Yellowstone erupts and that will probably have a huge effect on us. No hurricanes except for a tornado once in a while. Yes, it is what you are willing to trade off and what you are used to. Seems like people raised here can go to all parts of the world and live but people that aren't from here find dealing with the area difficult at best to live in. We never locked our house until the last couple of years-there is some traffic going through to the oil fields in ND but not a lot at least not yet.

What my wife and I found when we moved from Los Angeles to Abilene, Kansas was: 1. it was hard to slow down and adapt to the pace of a small town. 2. the lack of convenience and 3. Always being considered "Californians" even though we have now lived here 25 years. Not that any of this is bad, it's just different.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Oklahoma had been having a swarm of small earthquakes in the central and north central parts of that state.

Mark

When (not IF) Yellowstone blows the planet is in for climate change like you've never seen.

I found the midwest (in particular, southeast South Dakota) to be a great place to be from. The climate has changed - in the 50's and 60's we had cold winters like you are getting now but also lots of snow, and with the wind howling in from the north 6" of snow would pile drifts 6' high. One blizzard my sisters and I walked up a hard packed drift two stories up to the top of a corn crib and slid down on cardboard boxes!!!

Oh, and yes, it is a great place to be from. It's a clever parental thing. None of them or my friends parents ever whispered that it was warmer in other places :) I think the schools have a conspiracy to hide that from the midwestern kids. :) Similarly, Hawaiian kids aren't told much about the skiing in Vail. :)

See, everyone needs to read the footnotes on the "Global Warming - It's a Fact" report. Part of the effect of global warming is that the earthquakes . . . wait for it . . . are moving to the east and away from California. That leaves us in California with just the insane cost of living, interesting politics and packed freeways.

As others have observed, home is where home is for any given person. My Dad was a Minnesota farm kid who had never been 50 miles from home when he joined the Marine Corps in WW II. He went through Camp Pendleton here in SoCal during what we call the winter (he said you can only capitalize the word winter if it gets really cold where you live). Once he "got it" that this was winter in SoCal, he called my mom and told her that, if he survived the South Pacific, he would come home, marry her, get in the car, and the two of them would drive to California. He and about a million others did just that after WW II was over.

Jim

yeah it's snowing in Pennsylvania again too! :rant: I hope I can get out of this depression soon! I am sooooo sick of this crap!

I don't know how you guys make it through winter up there year after year. I did 4 years in Boston of which I affectionately call my "4 year tour of duty" in the Northeast. You have to really like cold weather and snow to live up there and be happy year round. I've been inside since Tuesday with a few opportunities to get out and see the sun, but no time on my mountain bike, motorcycle, or driving the Shelby is making me anxious and temperamental.

HOLY SEISMOGRAPH VIPER !!! :drop::drop::drop:

Hopefully no damage at your place.

When (not IF) Yellowstone blows the planet is in for climate change like you've never seen.

I found the midwest (in particular, southeast South Dakota) to be a great place to be from. The climate has changed - in the 50's and 60's we had cold winters like you are getting now but also lots of snow, and with the wind howling in from the north 6" of snow would pile drifts 6' high. One blizzard my sisters and I walked up a hard packed drift two stories up to the top of a corn crib and slid down on cardboard boxes!!!

Oh, and yes, it is a great place to be from. It's a clever parental thing. None of them or my friends parents ever whispered that it was warmer in other places :) I think the schools have a conspiracy to hide that from the midwestern kids. :) Similarly, Hawaiian kids aren't told much about the skiing in Vail. :)

We were talking about that at coffee the other day that the winters here in the 50s and 60s were a lot more severe than they seem to be the last 20 years or so. I remember 3 day blizzards were the norm at least once on the winters then and yes 6-10 ft drifts were very common and I remember one New Years Eve when I was in high school that the actual air temp was -40 and my mom thought we were nuts going to the dance at the outskirts of town.

For you growing up in the SE part of South Dakota you were in "East River" as compared to me in the NW part of the state which is "West River". The two should be two different states they are so completely different. North Dakota and South Dakota should have been divided at the Missouri into East Dakota and West Dakota. My gosh Hawaiian kids don't even know about wearing socks because its cold!

Archived