TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Re-Run Europe 2015!

sportscars

Thinking about how best to get car to port -

1. Have car hauled

2. Haul car myself (I have enclosed trailer)

3. Drive car to port, fly home

I am about 500 miles from Baltimore / Newark

Pros / Cons ?

Whatever your time constraints allow. If you're planning on taking part, obviously, funds aren't an issue, so it becomes an element of time...

I drove my car to LA from NorCal (325 miles) where it rendezvoused with the transporter to TX.

Drove down in the morning, jumped a Southwest flight back immediately after drop off, and still put in some time in the office that afternoon.

Motor on,

Tom

Guest markham51

Email from Steve this am...according to the mail the Europe Re-run planned date of Sept 1-15th 2015.

if Run is held in September 1st i will likely be attend with my son. I have a home in Provence (L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue) and a group of friends/business associates and I are headed there for some "meetings". WE haven't locked in our dates yet, but plans are for September...so this would work our well for us.

Whatever your time constraints allow. If you're planning on taking part, obviously, funds aren't an issue, so it becomes an element of time...

I drove my car to LA from NorCal (325 miles) where it rendezvoused with the transporter to TX.

Drove down in the morning, jumped a Southwest flight back immediately after drop off, and still put in some time in the office that afternoon.

Motor on,

Tom

Thank you for your response, that sounds like the most logical way to do it.

I've got a pretty good handle on the obvious things, I guess what I'm looking for is stuff I may NOT have thought of. I have been to the E coast a few times but always via air. I have some reservations about driving a truck & 25' trailer in the kind of traffic I am likely to encounter. Or is it really not that big a deal? I also have reservations about letting someone else load / haul / unload my vehicle. Or is that not a big deal either and I'm being too anal? :cool:

Would like to hear from those that have done the east coast thing and how it all worked out.

This is definitely a bucket list item, just not sure for 2015. Keep me in the loop in case I can pull it off to travel when schools start in NY

Sorry I have be remiss on answering everyone's questions. Here are my responses:

We will be staying in LeMans, France AND Leuven, Belgium.

Shipping is a complicated issue, but one where we do as much of the work for you as we can. You will have a lot of paperwork that we will be emailing you and yes you will need to get your vehicle to port or arrange for someone to do it for you. I can help here but it will not be me delivering your car. There are two kinds of vehicle shipping: Container and Roll-on/Roll-off (RoRo). I prefer to use RoRo for several reasons:

1. It is less expensive by about $800-$1000 (each way)
  2. your car is 100% guaranteed to be INSIDE the ship
  3. unlikely but containers can be dropped or bumped causing damage to your car
  4. rare, but containers may not seal 100% and if on deck your vehicle "could" be exposed to salty air and moisture for a week or so
  5. even rarer but sometime containers do go missing, either off the boat or at the dock/port

Yes, wil RoRo a highly trained vehicle porter will drive your car onto and off of the ship. These guys drive all manor of exotics all day every day - BMW, Porsche 911 GT3, etc. Your car is in VERY good hands. If someone insists on container shipping we can certainly talk about that.

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to email me sean@smcevents.com

Due to a very busy schedule with my sons karting career I wasn't on Team Shelby for 5 months. Shelby Re-Run Europe 2015 dates are fixed as Sean said. It will be sort of the same route as 2012 but with some changes. If you want to go to drive the Alps, Dolomites and French Riviera this trip is a must. For 2016 I am already working on the route but it will be a different countryside then in 2012. For 2012 veterans you can add some countries to your list.

Hi Patrick,

as request of Sean, in FB, for to organize the opportunity to shoot inside the legendary Autodrome of Monza ( for the days 5, or 6 September

2015 ) I can make contact with the National Secretariat of the Circuit of Monza. As you know I am a frequent visitor to the track.

Let me know!

Best regards from Italian Switzerland,

Raoul

• 5 months later...

Hey Tony, the Re-Run didn't take place as there were a lot of insurance problems. It is a big problem getting full coverage for US cars driving around in Europe. Maybe Sean can chime in here. We are trying to tackle this for the 2016 SRE. The route for that one is just ready and we are finalyzing hotel choices.

The 2016 SRE will take you around the most beautiful roads and countryside of The Netherlands, Belgium, France, England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Expect the two week SRE to start last week of July 2016. 2012 SRE veterans can add 4 countries to their list. Photo: A4086 near Mt Snowdon, Wales.

11011052_653440601428962_316204381644211

I'd heard there were insurance issues. Can you elaborate? I know another group planning something for Le Mans next year and want to alert them to the potential insurance issues before they go too far down the path. Most would leave that detail to the end, I think they need to bes ure about insurance first.

• 3 weeks later...

Full coverage is the problem. There is no single US Insurance company that will do that.

I was able to find a company to cover our cars but the cost is outrageous. Not many people willing to pay almost as much for insurance as for the entire trip.

Still working on other options for 2016.

Archived