TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Warranty

Shelby.GT500

I couldn't find the info on the warranty book, I am not even sure if it is in there. My car is a 2011 GT500 with 15,000 miles. How long is the warranty for my battery? I haven't used my car in a month and she would not start up today. I had to jump start and left her idle for 40 minutes and drove to the gas station to get gas. Well I got stuck there and needed another jump. I believe I need a new battery.

Shelby.GT500,

If your 2011 was an early Job 1 vehicle (built Spring of 2010), then it's quite possible your battery is toast. Check with your local dealer to determine warranty. Even if a late Job 2 car, proration won't be much.

You don't mention if you keep your Shelby on a battery tender when not in use, but if not, I recommend you do. Your battery will last much longer and not strand you. I find this one very convenient http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

+1 on using a tender. I recommend the CTEK Multi-US 7002. Also recommend getting a Midtronics PBT300 Unit that will check your battery, charging system, and starting system with ease. No guessing on whether or not you need a new battery. The unit uses the same algorithms that the dealers use for warranty replacement. I check the systems on all my vehicles regularly and never have any issues. Here are the links to the charger and tester.

http://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-multi-us-7002/

http://www.amazon.com/Midtronics-PBT300-Battery-Charging-Starting/dp/B000K38UN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363265621&sr=8-1&keywords=midtronics

Shelby.GT500,

If your 2011 was an early Job 1 vehicle (built Spring of 2010), then it's quite possible your battery is toast. Check with your local dealer to determine warranty. Even if a late Job 2 car, proration won't be much.

You don't mention if you keep your Shelby on a battery tender when not in use, but if not, I recommend you do. Your battery will last much longer and not strand you. I find this one very convenient http://batterytender.com/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

+1

Thanks for all your responses. I'll take everyone's advice and get myself a battery tender. But does that mean I have to leave the hood open when using the tender? I'll have to call the dealer on monday and hope that it still under warranty and might as well get the coupon just in case it isn't.

But does that mean I have to leave the hood open when using the tender?

The CTEK unit I have came with a pigtail that attaches directly to the battery terminals with a plug at the end. All you have to do to charge the battery is plug the tender in to the pigtail and then to the wall. The pigtail could be extended to be long enough to mount somewhere outside the engine compartment for easy access (the factory pigtail is not long enough to do so). I did not bother with that. I either leave the hood open while charging or gently close it without latching to keep dust off the engine (make sure you put the tender in a place where the hood will not hit it in the latter case). Another option would be to permanently mount the charger under the hood (out of the way somewhere) and run the AC power cord to a remote site on the car for easy access to an extension cord. It just depends on how much trouble you want to go to. Good luck!!!

Thanks for all your responses. I'll take everyone's advice and get myself a battery tender. But does that mean I have to leave the hood open when using the tender?

Nope. After I connect the DC cord I drop my tender box/cord down past the frame and header then pull the cord out from under the car and to the AC outlet. That lets me close the hood and all you can see is the cord running from under the car.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I bought the battery from the dealer, part# BXT-40R per the Shelby Supplement booklet. I was about to change the battery on my car and to my surprise, the part# is BXT96R. Are they the same thing? Should I return the battery and get the BXT96R? Why does the Shelby Supplement have a different part#?

Kawwy, how is everyone doing? I haven't seen or spoke to George in a very long time. I've been really busy with my CPA review and my car has been sitting in the garage for more than 8 months, I've been using my wife's new 14' explorer sport =). I'm still reviewing for the CPA but let me know if you guys have plans for a cruise, I may have some time. But I have to get my car running first lol

Don't know where you came up with a BXT-40R for the Shelby. The GT 500 Supplement for 2011 shows the BXT-96R-590 as the correct battery. Take another look: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Mustang

The correct battery for both the 3.7L and 5.0L Mustangs is the BXT-96R-500 so no 2011 Mustang takes a BXT40R.

Take it back and get the correct battery.

Don't know where you came up with a BXT-40R for the Shelby. The GT 500 Supplement for 2011 shows the BXT-96R-590 as the correct battery. Take another look: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Mustang

The correct battery for both the 3.7L and 5.0L Mustangs is the BXT-96R-500 so no 2011 Mustang takes a BXT40R.

Take it back and get the correct battery.

Now that is really weird. I took a picture of the page of my GT500 Supplement:

gallery_30323_1346_21270.jpg

Now that is really weird. I took a picture of the page of my GT500 Supplement:

gallery_30323_1346_21270.jpg

That is a mystery particularly since the on-line 2011 Owner's Manual shows the BXT-96R. Did you measure the BXT-40R to see if it would fit in the battery tray. I am betting the dimensions are different. If the original battery in the car is the BXT-96R I would go with that size. Note that that in the my 2012 owner's manual the BXT-96R-590 is listed for all Mustangs including the Shelby, 5.0, and V-6.

Archived