TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Gt500 - Found New Tires And Wheels / Got Winter Tires

Toxicologist

Note: I mistakingly originally posted this in the main Shelby Forum - sorry if you read this already there!

Hi all,

I live in the freezing cold Boston Area. The stock Goodyears, as everyone knows, suck when it is under 50 degrees or so. They are undrivable at 0 (zero) degrees F. Thus, my GT500 is in the nice warm garage, waiting for some new tires. I was looking on Ebay the other day, and someone had purchased a brand-new 2014 Shelby GT500 (with the performance package and track package) and they were shipping it to Shelby American for an upgrade to something, and they had listed the brand-new Wheels and tires that came on the car. Four wheels (list price from Ford is $1,700 each!), and four tires (new), for $2,800. Done - I could not login in to PayPal fast enough. I received them and they are in perfect, new condition, so I aired the tires down to 18 lbs or so, and put them in my nice warm garage shelving. Then, I ordered 4 (2 front, 2 rear) of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 from Tire Rack and they just came in, they look real nice. The front tire is pretty much the same size as the stock Goodyear, however, the rear is about 1/2" wider in the tread than stock - they look good, you notice the slight size difference by eye. Now, I am going to take my existing wheels with their worn-out Goodyears (25K miles) off the car (and put my new wheels on temporarily so it does not sit on blocks) and throw my new Michelins and the old wheels and tires into the truck and take them up to my buddy to have the new ones mounted on my original rims - I'll trash the old tires. Therefore, I will have new summer tires and wheels for June to October, and my Michelins for November to May. I will post if there is any problem fitting them on the car with the extra width. When just I looked on Ebay, there were 2 complete new sets of Wheels with new tires for the 2013/2014 (same exact wheels and tires) GT500 that were being sold for $2,500 to 2,800 or so. If you decide to buy, be careful as there is also a set of the "standard" 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 wheels w/tires (now Performance Pack and Track Pack car). Of course, I took the time to clean and wax the new wheels from Ebay (just dust on them), I will do the same for my existing wheels when I take them off.

Toxicologist

UPDATE:

Hi all,

The Michelin A/S 3 "all seasons" fit perfectly, even though the rears are 1/2" wider than the stock Goodyears. I put them at 37 psi in my garage so that when I drive in 20 degree weather they will cool down and be at about 35 psi as per the specification for tire pressure. When I took them out, the difference was incredible - it is like driving at 75 degrees with the Goodyears - yes, I can break them loose with too much throttle, but I can now comfortably go where I want without worrying about my Goodyears cracking or even breaking at sub-freezing temperatures. The Michelin's ride is excellent - no tire pull, no change in alignment needed, they even grip a tad on ice (like most good all-season tires do). That little 1/2" of extra width in the back tires is just noticable visually, and looks awesome! I have taken them up to speed (XXX) and there is no interference, rub, or touching even on bumps. I have not really tried to do any "performance" driving yet because just like motors and brakes, tires should be "broken-in" for 1,000 miles or so.

Toxicologist

What size Pilot Sports did you go with? Can you post some pics sometime? I've been checking on tires today and thinking either 295's or 305's on 10" SS repo wheels. I'll stick with the factory size in front.

I can't speak to what Toxicologist is running but the largest size in which A/S 3 tires are made is only 285.

They're not all-season, but Pilot Super Sports are available in larger sizes.

If you go online to "tire rack" and enter 2013 or 2014 mustang shelby gt500 coupe they give you the only sizes that will fit on the stock 2013/2014 rims. The offerings are the Michelin "all seasons" or the summer-only Pilot sports.

Tox

If you go online to "tire rack" and enter 2013 or 2014 mustang shelby gt500 coupe they give you the only sizes that will fit on the stock 2013/2014 rims. The offerings are the Michelin "all seasons" or the summer-only Pilot sports.

Tox

They list the OEM tire sizes. I'm sure you can go 275/40/19 on the front and 295/35/20 on the rear without a problem. I plan on going that route when I purchase the Michelin PSS tires in early spring.

Pete

They list the OEM tire sizes. I'm sure you can go 275/40/19 on the front and 295/35/20 on the rear without a problem. I plan on going that route when I purchase the Michelin PSS tires in early spring.

Pete

Many have done this without any problem. 275 series MPSS are within spec on the OEM 9.5" rims but, it's worth noting, Michelin recommends a 10"-11.5" rim when mounting 295 series MPSS.

Archived