TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does A 2.8 Kenne Bell Fit Under The Kr Hood?

Robert M

It will not fit unless you notch out the hood and lower the engine.

A few people have done it.

Edit.

Considering the cost of a KR hood compared to a SS hood I would put an SS hood on my car before I cut the KR hood.

I agree with that...........the part about cutting on a KR hood. I knew the KR hood has the structure on the bottom side, but I was not sure if lowering the engine only would provide the clearance needed.

R

I had to notch the hood and lower the engine, KB 2.8LC and STB fits fine. Go to the TS KR video section for a video that shows the clearance of KB to STB.

KR Hood 06.png

KR Hood Mod 3.JPG

I had to notch the hood and lower the engine, KB 2.8LC and STB fits fine. Go to the TS KR video section for a video that shows the clearance of KB to STB.

Thanks for the pictures.

I see a photo thread at the top of this KR section, but no video thread. Is there a KR video section elsewhere in the TS forums? I would like to see the KB to KR STB clearance with the 1/2" lowered 5.4.

Robert

Very cool video, thanks.

Yes that does show the clearance between the 1/2" lowered engine and the KR STB.

Have you seen any signs of contact when the engine torques? I see it is very close, even closer than mine with the 2.8 and Super Snake STB (engine at stock height/level).

I guess a 3.6LC install is out of the question with a KR STB and hood?

R

Haven't seen any chaffing or contact between STB and KB. I would agree a 3.6 would be a no-go with the KR STB.

I will measure the clearance between the top of KB and the KR hood. I was told the KB 3.6 sits 3/4 an inch higher. Just not sure how much clearance would be between the hood and S/C.

I like the power I'm getting out of this set-up because it's tight and controllable with the KR suspension.

Fred

Haven't seen any chaffing or contact between STB and KB. I would agree a 3.6 would be a no-go with the KR STB.

I will measure the clearance between the top of KB and the KR hood. I was told the KB 3.6 sits 3/4 an inch higher. Just not sure how much clearance would be between the hood and S/C.

I like the power I'm getting out of this set-up because it's tight and controllable with the KR suspension.

Fred

Yes, that is what I see when I compare the two side-by-side.

I've had the 3.6LC shown in my avatar for over a year (maybe even two) and have yet to install it. I like what the 2.8 does on my car. I will install the 3.6 eventually........all of this does fit under the Super Snake hood without mods, which is good, however, I will need to lower the 5.4 by 1/2" to get the Super Snake STB over the 3.6.

Did you notice any additional NVH when you installed the 1/2" lower poly engine mounts?

R

Robert - Do not have NVH issues. Handles fine.

^^^^Thanks.

If you happen to have your hood open over the weekend, could you stack a 3/4" something, pile of quarters taped together or anything 3/4" and lay it on the forward area of your 2.8 to see if the hood will close without contact? Just to verify if a 3.6 KB will fit under a KR hood that is notched for a 2.8 KB?

Modeling clay or Play-Doh also works well to get a clearance thickness. I usually grab some of the kids Play-Doh.

If you don't have time, I understand, but if you do, thank you for your time and "real world" verifying this for me.

R

I have seen a 08 KR with the 3.6 KB. He still had the KR hood on but not the ford racing bar. It only had 400 miles on the car with 850+ hp at the wheels.

I have a video of it hitting 850 on my Facebook. The guy lives in VA but I don't think he is on here.

RobertM, did you get a KR or are you putting a KR hood on your SS?

A couple of years ago I bought a KR splitter from the person who claims to have the Plasan CF molds for the original KR items. The splitter I bought appears to be exactly like the original KR piece, down to the direction of the CF weave. I believe that he also mentioned having the hood molds, but before I attempt to make contact with him, I want to make sure that this hood will fit the 2.8 that is currently on my car and then also the 3.6 that is a future install. I know the KR hood has much more engineering on the bottom side, which also takes up bigger blower room and I want to have my research done before I get into this type of project. It would be sad to buy a KR hood only to realize that the hood won't shut because of a taller blower and no option(s) to make it fit...........

R

Robert I would say that if you can score a KR hood for the right price Do It. If you have to modify it slightly so what? Your not modifying an original KR. If it doesn't work out you can always sell it as long as you don't over pay for one. IMO that hood is a work of art. It's the duct work underneath that is amazing. GL

Robert I would say that if you can score a KR hood for the right price Do It. If you have to modify it slightly so what? Your not modifying an original KR. If it doesn't work out you can always sell it as long as you don't over pay for one. IMO that hood is a work of art. It's the duct work underneath that is amazing. GL

^^^I agree.

In comparison to my original Super Snake hood the KR is just different enough on the top side to be a "change" in look, but still keep the look that looks Great.

I have always liked the look of both of these hoods, they are similar, but different...............

Picture1366-1.jpg

Picture1365-1.jpg

One thing that I have always liked about the KR hood vs. the Super Snake hood is the twist locks, but since my car did come with hood pins instead of the twists, I have had to settle for hood pins BUT I was very, very fortunate to come across one of the very few sets of Super Snake billet hood pin plates, cables and hardware that were sampled to Shelby but never made it to production..............Very Rare and Very Unique, I have heard less than 10 sets were made as samples?

A Super Snake sitting next to me at a car show (if there were to be one) will not have pin plates that match mine.............

034-1.jpg

If I am forced to have hood pins, they might as well be unique................. :happy feet:

R

I don't think you can go wrong either way with those hoods. I agree with you though about the hood locks versus the hood pins. As a side note, I think my red KR would look killer with the stripes in matte black, but I'm afraid to mess with it. Lol

I don't think you can go wrong either way with those hoods. I agree with you though about the hood locks versus the hood pins. As a side note, I think my red KR would look killer with the stripes in matte black, but I'm afraid to mess with it. Lol

^^^It would! Red/Black looks Hot!!...............but is it worth the chance of paint damage removing the stripes? especially a few years after they were applied?t is just a little difference that

One thing that is different on my Super Snake hood in comparison to the Gary Patterson Super Snake hood shown above in the magazine is the stripe (or lack of) on the center divider in the CAI opening. The picture above shows the center divider in body color. In Las Vegas my divider was striped in the matte black so it blends in and is not visible unless you look for the divider up in the open area. << This changes the look when viewing the front area of the hood.

R

Both hoods look great, but I have to go with the KR hood. For one, It's CF. Then, the way the intake air is directed right down to the CAI, and the heat extractor vents under the hood. Nice and well designed!!!

Both hoods look great, but I have to go with the KR hood. For one, It's CF. Then, the way the intake air is directed right down to the CAI, and the heat extractor vents under the hood. Nice and well designed!!!

Tell me about the clear turn/side marker lens in the front bumper of your car. I have been looking at those recently. Did you use the Clear/Amber switchback LED's for the turn signal and an Amber LED behind the clear side marker?

R

A couple of years ago I bought a KR splitter from the person who claims to have the Plasan CF molds for the original KR items.

A couple years ago I bought a carbon fiber Super Snake splitter when I was thinking about having a second setup like the auto show KR and 20's. No longer going to do that. If you want to trade splitters even-up, let me know.

Those hood pins look sick. Only thing I would change is to remove the words Super Snake. Sometimes less is more. Those would be a hot seller.

BTW: the person who claims to have the molds, is he from Minnesota?

A couple years ago I bought a carbon fiber Super Snake splitter when I was thinking about having a second setup like the auto show KR and 20's. No longer going to do that. If you want to trade splitters even-up, let me know.

Those hood pins look sick. Only thing I would change is to remove the words Super Snake. Sometimes less is more. Those would be a hot seller.

BTW: the person who claims to have the molds, is he from Minnesota?

Yes, I believe he is from Minn.

The reason I put away my original splitter was to save it, and I also like the KR splitter better...........always have.

The hood pin plates are available from Shelby in "plain" form. The reason why I currently have the Super Snake engraved in place is because of their rarity, with 10 or less sample sets supposedly made by the vendor for Shelby inspection back in the 2007 time period, and none ever produced for a production Super Snake, they are quite rare...........But, I know, the Super Snake(s) as well as the KR(s) are "dripping" with identifiers all over, everywhere, it is part of it I guess, and I added to it with something that most will never see.......I'm guilty, but they are kind of cool in their own way! <<More dripping with identifiers........

R

I know who you are talking about then. I remember seeing photos that looked like he was making the parts himself, but I think if he was smart enough to have the molds and that good with making CF parts, he would have a continuous listing selling more of them.

There was a disagreement with SAI and Plasan over payment for some damaged hoods, and no doubt there were some blems made by Plasan along the way too. Those undoubtedly leaked out at some point, maybe to this guy. Since SAI and Plasan are both still in business, I would assume with almost certainty that the original molds are retained by whoever is explicitly listed as owner in the original contract.

I know who you are talking about then. I remember seeing photos that looked like he was making the parts himself, but I think if he was smart enough to have the molds and that good with making CF parts, he would have a continuous listing selling more of them.

There was a disagreement with SAI and Plasan over payment for some damaged hoods, and no doubt there were some blems made by Plasan along the way too. Those undoubtedly leaked out at some point, maybe to this guy. Since SAI and Plasan are both still in business, I would assume with almost certainty that the original molds are retained by whoever is explicitly listed as owner in the original contract.

I don't know anymore about this than I have mentioned above.

I did buy one of his KR CF splitters and it mirrors the Plasan piece in structure even down to the direction of the CF weave. He had to make it for me because he did not have one in stock. He later applogized to me for not drilling the mounting holes, the insets were there, but no holes. I drilled the holes myself and it fit perfectly, except just under the Super Snake brake duct tubes that attach to the brake duct bezels in the lower grill, there is a long plastic tube in this area on the Super Snake, probably to protect the brake ducts from road debris damage and it did not fit well with the KR CF splitter in these two area's so I had to dremel it for a custom Super Snake brake duct fit.

R

Maybe he is. I have seen three different hoods on eBay in the last three months. No vents or stripes. One was only in primer.

Edit..... Or maybe SA is just getting sneakier. Ha Ha. :)

Archived