TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 Team Shelby Vegas Bash!

Jer

As badly as we would like to be in Vegas for the Bash and the 50th that isn't going to work. It is farming time here in SD at that time so we will be in the field (hopefully the snow will be melted) by then as spring is really late arriving this year. I had made reservations at South Point for 14-21 and just called to cancel so if you need a room call quickly! Hope you all have a great time and looking forward to pictures! NEXT YEAR WE"RE COMING!!!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As badly as we would like to be in Vegas for the Bash and the 50th that isn't going to work. It is farming time here in SD at that time so we will be in the field (hopefully the snow will be melted) by then as spring is really late arriving this year. I had made reservatuibs at South Point for 14-21 and just called to cancel so if you need a room call quickly! Hope you all have a great time and looking forward to pictures! NEXT YEAR WE"RE COMING!!!

Bummer, but I fully understand. That is a bunch of the stress I've had about this trip to. I was in my fields last weekend trying to get them ready for seeding, while trying to set up the Bash show, get my car/trailer ready, etc. So fully understand that you must work the fields when you get the opportunity!

Bummer, but I fully understand. That is a bunch of the stress I've had about this trip to. I was in my fields last weekend trying to get them ready for seeding, while trying to set up the Bash show, get my car/trailer ready, etc. So fully understand that you must work the fields when you get the opportunity

We just got another 8-10 inches of snow the last couple of days and its been so cold!

With a week or so of warm weather and sun it will make all the difference. We generally have quite a bit done by the middle of April but not this year. Haven't even had the Shelby out yet! So will try to make some of the other Midwest get togethers-Ponies on the Plains and the Mustang Rally at Sturgis. Hope everyone has a good time in Vegas! Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Planning the trip out - Leaving home on April 10th. 1st night in Salina, KS, then Grand Junction, CO, on to Vegas on the 12th and then to Palm Springs on the 13th. Hoping the forecast stays good through the mountains, so far they are predicting good weather. I'm getting excited.

Hoping the forecast stays good through the mountains, so far they are predicting good weather. I'm getting excited.

We just got DUMPED on here on the Front Range (Co. Springs, CO).

I'm assuming the mountains got much more.

Phill

We just got DUMPED on here on the Front Range (Co. Springs, CO).

I'm assuming the mountains got much more.

Phill

Yep, Mountains got snow measured in feet last night, which means by tomorrow can be sunny and dry. No point in even looking at the weather until you are within a couple days of going. However I'm also hoping for dry roads the following weekend.

Yep, Mountains got snow measured in feet last night, which means by tomorrow can be sunny and dry. No point in even looking at the weather until you are within a couple days of going. However I'm also hoping for dry roads the following weekend.

Driving across the divide on Monday was nothing short of a white knuckle drive... Especially towing a trailer. It started at Idaho Springs and got worse the closer to the tunnel with wind and blowing snow. Drove through the tunnel and the sun was shining. I've had this happen before. The western side storm was over but the roads were snow and ice packed with one lane to pavement in a few spots until Vail. What normally takes about an hour to drive took well over two and a half... Vegas isn't all that warm either until tomorrow.

Driving across the divide on Monday was nothing short of a white knuckle drive... Especially towing a trailer. It started at Idaho Springs and got worse the closer to the tunnel with wind and blowing snow. Drove through the tunnel and the sun was shining. I've had this happen before. The western side storm was over but the roads were snow and ice packed with one lane to pavement in a few spots until Vail. What normally takes about an hour to drive took well over two and a half... Vegas isn't all that warm either until tomorrow.

Damn, I sure hope it clears up by next week. I'll take the southern route (I-40) if it's too bad.

I've drivin into the East entrance of the tunnel with it bright and sunny only to come out the West end into a full on blizzard with deep snow and white-out conditions. NOT FUN.

Phill

Good to know all this. Strategically our 1st night is in Salina, KS is so if weather is bad I can go south on I-35 to I-40 if need be. I have a hotel reservation in Grand Junction on the 11th, but may make another in N.M. for the same night just in case and cancel the one I don't need. If one of you Colorado members could post something Thursday night about the road conditions that would be great. Thanks,

Dave

Good to know all this. Strategically our 1st night is in Salina, KS is so if weather is bad I can go south on I-35 to I-40 if need be. I have a hotel reservation in Grand Junction on the 11th, but may make another in N.M. for the same night just in case and cancel the one I don't need. If one of you Colorado members could post something Thursday night about the road conditions that would be great. Thanks,

Dave

If you have a smart phone with data/internet here is what I do:

When I get to a "fork in the road" I stop at a place that still gets good cell phone service (3G/4G) and go to the Colorado Department of Transportation web site. From there you can check the highway cameras to see what the weather is like. When coming back to Colorado from Las Vegas last March we stopped at the I15/I70 gas station and checked I70 cameras at Glenwood Springs, Vail and the top of the tunnel. The snow got progressively worse going east and at the top of the tunnel there was absolutely zero traffic (and no signs of it in the snow on the road - the highway was closed due to a jackknifed semi truck. We then went I15 to Salt Lake and I80 across.

Pre-scope out the web site links - I really don't know what they are any more and I've changed phones since.

Planning alternate routes, especially if you're a novice at mountain snow driving, is a good plan. You have until Denver to make the choice though. This time of the year the worst weather will actually be what I said: The portion of I70 from Idaho Springs to Vail. If that road is getting lots of snow/ice, then you can usually head south to Albuquerque. Raton Pass at the CO/NM border can also be problematic and if it is then north on I25 to I80 is another shot.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. Weather wise west of the divide from before Glenwood Springs all the way across is a couple of weeks ahead of the eastern front range. There are wildflowers coming up already.

Someone asked in the shout box and got no reply regarding formal or non-formal attire at the bash. Do we need to bring some formal wear or is casual ok?

Someone asked in the shout box and got no reply regarding formal or non-formal attire at the bash. Do we need to bring some formal wear or is casual ok?

I don't know the answer to the question but I'm bringing a couple of business casual outfits, but nothing more than that.

No formal attire - though those wearing tuxedos will get major style points - dress for the Sunday and Monday evenings is casual. Tuesday night should be a step up - collared shirts are a must, khakis, dress jeans, sport coats, camp shirts, dress shirts, polos etc for the men, the ladies are going to dress the way they want anyway.

so I should wear my Tux!!! sweeeeeeet, or should i wear my Dinner dress Whites??????

It's a dinner, so, whatever matches your bib.

Jer

This time next week, we will all be preparing for the Festivities in the evening. See ya at the Caddy Shack and if you were lucky enough to score a pass to the Tonga Hut with Amy Boylan, we will see you there as well! Safe travels everyone!

What terrific weather we are going to have! So much sun, make sure you wear sunglasses cause our cars are going to be blinding! It's going to be nicer than at home in FL!

:happy feet: :banvictory: :banana piano:

Just waxed the car, Road Warrior on the front as a bug mask bra. Now I just have to pack. I am simple but the wifey, well that's another story. Heading out Saturday morning :shift: to Palm Springs and will await the wild bunch to arrive Sunday. :yahoo:

What terrific weather we are going to have! So much sun, make sure you wear sunglasses cause our cars are going to be blinding! It's going to be nicer than at home in FL!

Don't forget sunscreen and bring plenty of water!!! You will burn and get dehydrated. Save the beer for after 5:00 and remember it isn't a substitute for drinking water too!

/signed/ Experienced Desert Rat

Don't forget sunscreen and bring plenty of water!!! You will burn and get dehydrated. Save the beer for after 5:00 and remember it isn't a substitute for drinking water too!

/signed/ Experienced Desert Rat

They call it a DRY HEAT.

They call it a DRY HEAT.

Yep, and it really is. I call the same thing in our area of Colorado. It takes some time getting used to, but the reality is the desert here (both CO and NV). On the other hand I'm having three palm trees cut out that died from a freeze/frost two years ago that aren't going to recover. In CO i have bulb-type plants (day lillies, tulips, iris) that have been up for a month, but are getting frosted. It was almost spooky driving across CO from the east side, to the west side, through Utah, etc. The "western slope" was about 3-4 weeks ahead of northern Boulder County for planting - some people had already obviously mowed grass while we are are still getting snow. On the other other hand, it will be almost 88 tomorrow in Vegas :)

Yep, and it really is. I call the same thing in our area of Colorado. It takes some time getting used to, but the reality is the desert here (both CO and NV). On the other hand I'm having three palm trees cut out that died from a freeze/frost two years ago that aren't going to recover. In CO i have bulb-type plants (day lillies, tulips, iris) that have been up for a month, but are getting frosted. It was almost spooky driving across CO from the east side, to the west side, through Utah, etc. The "western slope" was about 3-4 weeks ahead of northern Boulder County for planting - some people had already obviously mowed grass while we are are still getting snow. On the other other hand, it will be almost 88 tomorrow in Vegas :)

It's supposed to be beautiful here starting Weds. And of course, I'm on my way to Mojave/LV for 10 days...On Weds!

Phill

It's supposed to be beautiful here starting Weds. And of course, I'm on my way to Mojave/LV for 10 days...On Weds!

Phill

When we lived in Phoenix in the 70's I had to go from Phoenix to Tucson. it had rained bunches. The desert was in full bloom. I didn't have a camera but never will forget what it looked like. Things literally came from nothing to full bloom in about 2 days. It really almost freaked me out. We called them wildflowers here, and some of the cacti (not the big saguaros) went into full bloom too. I'm told I saw something that hadn't happened for a hundred years. That was 1977 or so.

Went by Shelby on Saturday to pick up a part. I didn't want to spoil it for myself so I stayed strictly in the gift shop area. Let me tell you, for those who haven't been there yet, this facility is massive! Can't wait to see the rest of it next week!

8m8q.jpg

Question for Jer or one of the higher ups, I will be unable to make the cruise Monday, as I had a friend pass away and services are that monday. I am however still going to be going through Palm Springs on Sunday and wanted to see if I could still pick up my registration info then, especially since I bought two tickets and one of them belongs to another TS Member who is going on the cruise.

Archived