TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

FiaCobra

Allow me to share my experience: I immediately noticed improvements over the stock shaft in my '09 car. I'm assuming your KR has the same stock clunky 2 piece shaft that weighs a ton. I was never happy with how my car would get off the line at a stop light from a dead stop. Seemed like it was just sloppy. The carbon shaft immediately cleaned this up and I've also noticed better acceleration to a certain extent and absolutely no vibrations whatsoever. In my opinion, it has been one of the best upgrades I've done thus far. Worth the money? Emphatically YES!

What positive gains are noticed with the cf shaft? Is it worth the cost vs. Gains?

Decreased NVH, reduction in rotating mass (requires less energy to spin), increased torsional flexibility better handles driveline shock (which can potentially increase the life of related driveline components) and a much higher critical speed which, for example, allowed Ford to remove the ~155mph limitation that was put into place on '07-'12 GT500's with their two piece shafts. These carbon fiber shafts have an almost perfect elastic memory as well.

Were you to be subjected to a shaft failure while driving the car you would absolutely prefer to have a CF shaft in place. Whereas a steel or aluminum shaft can cause serious damage to both the vehicle and driver, a shaft properly made from carbon fiber will simply broom/shatter, in many cases causing little to no damage.

How important the above benefits are to a given individual is subjective when you take into consideration their ability to pay for one. I'd recommend one to most anyone but at their price point not everyone can afford one.

• 1 month later...

Finally got time to swap out the stock two piece ds for the new flange that Ben Reonegro manufactures along with the '13/'14 GT500 cf ds. Install was straightforward and to sum it up, it is all positive with no negatives. The drive train is noticeably more responsive and quieter. I would HIGHLY recommend this mod.

Archived