TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

FiaCobra

You might be referencing the 2013/2014 model year Shelby GT 500's.

And yes, will fit with adapter.

Be careful of buying used as if these are handled carelessly, they will be ruined. Any dropping or incorrectly mounted flanges, big mess will result.

We are working on a GREAT new driveshaft program, I expect everyone to LOVE it.

Jer

I looked at the possibility of a carbon fiber ds, to further lower weight than the Dynotech ds I got from Shelby about 4 years ago. What I found is that the CF ds is 17lbs and the Dynotech is 18.2lbs. 70+% of nascar racers use Dynotech drive shafts so reliability and balance isn't an issue and the strength has been proven on 900-1000hp cars. So, $300 for a weight savings of 1.2lbs. I was kind of lucky when I bought mine, because I bought it during the only 30% off sale and got the ds for about $540. The ds had been nothing but awesome and absolutely no vibration noted.

I looked at the possibility of a carbon fiber ds, to further lower weight than the Dynotech ds I got from Shelby about 4 years ago. What I found is that the CF ds is 17lbs and the Dynotech is 18.2lbs. 70+% of nascar racers use Dynotech drive shafts so reliability and balance isn't an issue and the strength has been proven on 900-1000hp cars. So, $300 for a weight savings of 1.2lbs. I was kind of lucky when I bought mine, because I bought it during the only 30% off sale and got the ds for about $540. The ds had been nothing but awesome and absolutely no vibration noted.

I decided to go with a CF DS over a aluminum DS after seeing pics posted here on this forum from a guy who had a aluminum DS fail and it beat the floor pan of his car so bad it had to be replaced. And I mean it BEAT the pan up badly. And he had a DS loop.

That's NOT a cheap or easy a job to perform and it will unarguably cost you more than $300 to do.

$300 is cheap insurance IMO.

Phill

Dynotech make wonderful driveshafts, agreed.

I'm looking to do some CF shafts for their other inherent qualities, not just light weight. CF shafts have a different torsional "behavior", as they have a flexible "whip-style" spool-up that delivers power in a different way. They're also harmonically different.

Updates as they develop.

Jer

Definitely interested in this for my next mod. As Kona said, I remember what happened to that guy's undercarriage when his one piece aluminum shaft let go. It was horrible. At least if a CF shaft fails it will basically just turn into loose fiber and not do anywhere near the damage a steel or aluminum tube would do. I've been looking into the '13/'14 oem unit as I like the use of cv joints at both ends unlike the aftermarket units, although I realize an adapter is needed.

I decided to go with a CF DS over a aluminum DS after seeing pics posted here on this forum from a guy who had a aluminum DS fail and it beat the floor pan of his car so bad it had to be replaced. And I mean it BEAT the pan up badly. And he had a DS loop.

That's NOT a cheap or easy a job to perform and it will unarguably cost you more than $300 to do.

$300 is cheap insurance IMO.

Phill

Factors that you didn't mention: horsepower of the car that broke that driveshaft? Tires on his vehicle? Street tires, drag slicks? I'm at about 600 rwhp with street tires and can't imagine I would do that with a Dynotech. If I was at 900 hp plus, then I would buy CF without a doubt!!

Factors that you didn't mention: horsepower of the car that broke that driveshaft? Tires on his vehicle? Street tires, drag slicks? I'm at about 600 rwhp with street tires and can't imagine I would do that with a Dynotech. If I was at 900 hp plus, then I would buy CF without a doubt!!

No idea on the specifics. If you're good with a search engine you could probably find the thread and pics (and more info. on the car). It pretty much destroyed the car, or at least the undercarriage. Not my cup of tea.

There was another guy not too terribly long ago, either on here or on the SVTperf forums that took a aluminum DSS out of his car to sell when he went to a CF shaft (he also posted pics). The end of the shaft was ballooned and he only discovered it because he took it of and started taking pics. It was JUST about to fail.

I've seen OEM driveshafts fail on STOCK cars and they are steel.

Hey, it's *your* car...And money.

Phill

If I may add a comment here as well: The reason why I went carbon fiber was not only for the cool factor, but also for the fear of DS failure. If the carbon shaft fails, the underbody of the car gets brushed like a broom. If an alloy shaft fails... major damage. Saw one fail on a car that had under 500 HP once. Swore I would never put an alloy shaft in my car. Agree with Phill, but everyone should always purchase what they want on their car. The likelihood of any shaft failing is slim, but it can happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that thread!

I have a few adapters left if anyone is interested. Nicest thing about it is the ability to have it serviced as if it were originally on the vehicle. And I've yet to see any aftermarket Mustang driveshaft manufacturer come up with a superior method to Ford's splined end inserts. Bonding, in my view, is simply not the best way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have a full flange.

My buddy made a full flange not an adapter that will allow you to bolt in the 13/14 driveshaft in any 07-12 gt500.

I been running an adapter for years and just felt allot better swapping it out when he made the flange . (new flange is exactly like the 13/14 flange with the correct splines for the 07-12 trans)

PM me if any one is interested in any. I believe he has around 20 of them.

Thanks PM sent back.

Just FYI

This is a one piece flange just like the one used on the 13/14 trans.(These new ones for the 07-12 trans are made out of 4340 material super strong)

No need to bolt an adapter on ,you just replace the flange with the correct spline new flange allowing the 13/14 driveshaft to bolt up to the 07-12 gt500 transmission.(Much cleaner fit and no add on pieces)

Thanks PM sent back.

Just FYI

This is a one piece flange just like the one used on the 13/14 trans.(These new ones for the 07-12 trans are made out of 4340 material super strong)

No need to bolt an adapter on ,you just replace the flange with the correct spline new flange allowing the 13/14 driveshaft to bolt up to the 07-12 gt500 transmission.(Much cleaner fit and no add on pieces)

Where can you source the flange from?

Archived