TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cloth convertible conversion

PrimeauTattoo

You should have no problems moving to the cloth top. I love the cloth, but would not recommend it if your car is parked outside. Good luck!

I was at the dealer today and ordered the cloth top. The trim guy that changed the entire top asembly 8 monts ago (under waranty; there is a TSB on 05/06 rag tops) said he can do the cloth conversion. The price diff. between the vinyl and cloth in Canada is $1000 more. I was not happy considering the cloth upgade is $300 from the factory! It snow's a " s%*$ " load here in the winter so the car is parked (stored) 6-7 months in the winter and parked in partial shade in the summer. What about parking it out side do you not recommend?

I was at the dealer today and ordered the cloth top. The trim guy that changed the entire top asembly 8 monts ago (under waranty; there is a TSB on 05/06 rag tops) said he can do the cloth conversion. The price diff. between the vinyl and cloth in Canada is $1000 more. I was not happy considering the cloth upgade is $300 from the factory! It snow's a " s%*$ " load here in the winter so the car is parked (stored) 6-7 months in the winter and parked in partial shade in the summer. What about parking it out side do you not recommend?

Replacement covers are always more expensive through the parts counter, than on the factory order sheet. Call around to the various dealers in your area, checking on what if any discount they may offer. It might not hurt to visit with the sales manager as well if you have been a good customer(meaning you've spent lots of cash). Maybe he can help you negotiate a discount as well. Best idea would be to package a parts/labor installation price together.

I would recommend that you not get too excited about doing this installation yourself. Let a professional do it. Check to see if they will warranty their work on that new top as well, and more important, if it does not fit properly, they will(or should) fix it to your satisfaction. I'd avoid all of the hassle, and let the dealer do this.

I love cloth tops, they provide a cooler interior than vinyl with the top up. They give the vehicle a richer look. The downside is that they are harder to maintain than vinyl. While they do not crack with aging, they do fade, and airborne pollutants can be a problem. I've always used just plain warm water to clean the fabric, and a soft dark cotton towel(heavy nap) to dry. Keep a lint roller handy, along with a couple of cotton wash cloths in the trunk for emergency cleanup duty. Be watchful of bird droppings.

Years ago a friend told me to try 3M Fabric Scotchguard as a clothtop protectant. He said it worked well, though I myself have never tried it. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Archived