TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Compromise Street/track Alignment Suggestions

Triumph

I guess I should introduce myself. I have been lurking for quite some time now. I have an '07 gt500 and have slowly been modifying it since I bought it almost 4 years ago. I attended my first HPDE track day back in October '13, and have done 3 total.....Which has become an expensive past time. Since October I've installed a full Hotchkiss suspension kit, lower control arms, springs, adjustable panhard bar, sway bars, and a front disc cooling kit.

My question is, what are you running for an alignment setup? I don't plan on changing it specifically for track days as it doubles as my daily driver when I'm not riding the bike. I've been told to run 0 toe, -1.75 camber and as much caster as possible.....Well I added adjustable cam bolts on the top strut to spindle, but even with it maxed out there is too much camber causing excessive tire wear. I went ahead and ordered caster/camber plates today, and will take it in for a full alignment when I install them.

Does the above setup sound like a good compromise between decent street manners and track?

Oh and since everyone likes pictures here are some before lowering the car...

First track event at Spring Mountain Motorsports Pahrump, NV

2qjwyte.jpg

5v9kd5.jpg

mucsnd.jpg

dgqkye.jpg

2zf1g0p.jpg

Welcome aboard Triumph - nice Vista Blue GT500 . Your alignment target specs are good ( should expect around +7 to 7.5 degrees caster ). Other suggestions would be to get a watts linkage for the rear ( SPP/Fays2 unit ) run 275/40-18 tires all around , go to the softest setting on the front sway bar ( Hotchkis is a 1-1/2" front / 1" rear ) and middle setting on the rear. Replace the strut to knuckle bolts when removing the camber bolts and replace with the 2011-14 OEM bolts ( fine thread vs coarse thread and torque is 166ft/lbs vs 149 ft/lbs). Note ; If you do install a 7 position Fays2 watts the Hotchkis rear bar will hit the drop center section when trying to set the bar to the middle setting. This should put you where you want so all you would need to do is adjust tire pressures for your intended use of the day. What C/C plates did you order and are you still running the OEM shocks ? JMO

Welcome aboard Triumph - nice Vista Blue GT500 . Your alignment target specs are good ( should expect around +7 to 7.5 degrees caster ). Other suggestions would be to get a watts linkage for the rear ( SPP/Fays2 unit ) run 275/40-18 tires all around , go to the softest setting on the front sway bar ( Hotchkis is a 1-1/2" front / 1" rear ) and middle setting on the rear. Replace the strut to knuckle bolts when removing the camber bolts and replace with the 2011-14 OEM bolts ( fine thread vs coarse thread and torque is 166ft/lbs vs 149 ft/lbs). Note ; If you do install a 7 position Fays2 watts the Hotchkis rear bar will hit the drop center section when trying to set the bar to the middle setting. This should put you where you want so all you would need to do is adjust tire pressures for your intended use of the day. What C/C plates did you order and are you still running the OEM shocks ? JMO

Thanks for the response. I am still running the stock struts, haven't decided what type to get nor saved the money for new ones. I ordered the Shelby c/c plates which look basically like a re-branded maxim motorsports plate.

Archived