TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Razor Wheels & Tires

I am thinking of picking up a set of 20" Shelby Razor wheels & tires. I currently have the 235 50 18s that came on my 08 SGT. The 20" Razors come with 255 35 20s. My question is will this require me to change the tune on my car? Will it through the speedo off?

Thanks

No, you will be fine. Overall diameter of 235/50/18 is 27.25". Diameter of 255/35/20 is 27.03". .82% shorter. When your speedo says that you are going 62.14 mph, you will actually be going 61.63 mph. so very small difference. No programing required. This is a very normal size change. Heck, tire wear or air pressure can cause that much difference. A good page that I've always found helpful for checking tire size differences is:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator You plug in your original tire size, and then whatever you are thinking about changing to and it shows you all the measurements for that tire.

I went with 255/35's front and 275/35's rear, the funny thing was that my speedo was a touch fast with the stock tires and dead on with the 275's on the 20" Razors. Try to verify how accurate your speedo is currently, the differences aren't much.

I bought the same 20"Gunmetal Razors from AM and I had the same question about the speedometer difference. Thanks for the info above. The ones I bought are the staggered; 9 front 10 rear. I have not been able to put them on yet because I have been out of town but am looking forward to it. AM had great service and fast shipping. The tires came well packaged and arrived the afternoon before I left so they are in the garage right now. I think you will be happy with them.

I understand these do not have the same offset as the original Razors but I would be interested in any feedback on the largest brakes these will fit?

I understand these do not have the same offset as the original Razors but I would be interested in any feedback on the largest brakes these will fit?

You can fit large diameter rotors with these wheels, the problem becomes which caliper you want to use. You cannot use Brembo or other calipers which have pistons on the outside. I know Shelby sold bigger brakes which still only used a caliper with the pistons on the inside. These would probably work just fine, but you would have to do a test fit. The offset is not necessarily the issue, it is the construction of the wheel where these offset wheels have the legs of the wheel center that do not bend out as much as the earlier wheels. I have many pictures showing this in the really old Razor thread which show this. I did lots of test fitting with the different offset wheels.

For example, I'm pretty confident that you can use this rotor upgrade with these wheels as you use the same factory caliper. I'm not 100% confident until somebody actually tries. I am pretty sure this would work however as when I did the test fitting with the Brembo's it only touched the wide Brembo calipers by only about 1/4". The much narrower factory calipers I'm sure would fit a 14" rotor with this offset Razor. You should give it a try for the good of others! :lol:

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z28-2261026.htm

OK, I've been watching this forum for a while now.

Is there a REAL interest in Shelby offering the +24 offset Razor wheels again?

Hit me up at JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com, and I'll do what I can to bring these back. State your desired color.

Jer

JeffJ

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Brakes are an upgrade I want to do and would prefer better calipers to go with them. I will keep researching the issue and if I find a combination that works I will post the info. If all else fails I will just paint the OEM calipers.

Jer

I would have had much more interest in the +24 offset Razors 1600.00 dollars ago..... :drop: That said....Gunmetal.

OK, I've been watching this forum for a while now.

Is there a REAL interest in Shelby offering the +24 offset Razor wheels again?

Hit me up at JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com, and I'll do what I can to bring these back. State your desired color.

Jer

This thread is only 5 days old...... :headscratch:

I think Jer may be referring to this thread....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79618-return-of-the-razors-added-poll-info/

It was started almost a year ago (2/12/13), and since then has had about 10,000 views, and 289 (nice Ford number) replies. The thread is 10 pages long.

Based on that, I'd say there is a REAL interest in someone producing the Razors in the 24mm offest again. American Muscle seems to stocking up on 20" diameter 24mm offset Razors in chrome, gun metal, and black. There is much hope and anticipation that they will be released for sale in the near(?) future.

That said, I would love to see Shelby bring them back as well, especially in the silver finish, which American Muscle is not offering.

Jer, if you want to contact me directly, I can provide you with my contacts at the manufacturer (American Racing), who has been very helpful over the past year....but you are probably much more 'connected' than I am.

Z-man

This thread is only 5 days old...... :headscratch:

I said "forum", not "thread"....

Jer

When I switched over to a razor wheel and tire package the only thing I had to do was reset my tire pressure sensors. As far as razor wheels go you can still find them out there. I bought an additional set of four wheels on Craigslist with three still in sealed boxes with lug nuts for a bargained cash price of $500. I made a trip to CJ Pony Parts who had one single wheel in the box for $40. They called it a blem the mark is so small it would have to be pointed out. Both purchaces were made after they were discontinued. -Kevin

Archived