TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Big Crack In Nt01 Tread

frazierfreud

I was getting ready to put my 18" rims / nittos on for the track weekend coming up. Then I noticed this:

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r671/mark_lejsek/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/2844D663-BEA3-40BB-87A9-9CDA3F469D6B_zps6uyvzodi.jpg

What the heck! I've got 8 twenty minute sessions on these. I've got lots of tread left. Is this tire shot? Is this common? Not a big deal?

I had cracks develop on the inside sideway of a set of tires I had on a BMW. They were only a few months old, and my service guy noticed it while doing an alignment. Good thing he did, because the outside of the tires looked fine.

The tire company (sorry, but I don't remember what brand they were, but I bought them through TireRack) agreed they were a manufacturing defect and replaced them.

I would check the others tires as well, just to be safe.

Z-man

If they crack due to cold - toss em or be prepared for it to blow apart . Thats why I keep mine up off the concrete floor in the off season and wrap them. If it's just the one then replace the one but check over the others.

Such a learning process. I wonder if the other tires will be more likely to get hard prematurely? They aren't cracked.

The others should not be a problem if there are no cracks . If it was me I'd send the cracked one back to see if they would warranty it or at the least varify it was due to cold temps. That's just me - I'd want to know for sure what it was from so I could prevent it from happening again . JMO

The others should not be a problem if there are no cracks . If it was me I'd send the cracked one back to see if they would warranty it or at the least varify it was due to cold temps. That's just me - I'd want to know for sure what it was from so I could prevent it from happening again . JMO

I plan ordering a new one in the morning and asking for a warranty refund on the new one.

I plan ordering a new one in the morning and asking for a warranty refund on the new one.

Yep , make sure you have one for this weekend and if at best they give you a replacement for the cracked one - at least you'll have a spare ( I have 3 sets for each race car - 2 dry sets and 1 set of rains )

Archived