TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Clutch Drag Issues

JRGT500TN

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Shelby that is 100% stock, never raced, etc. A few months back (about 6 roughly) I had an issue where when stopping at a light, if I was in gear, with clutch fully disengaged, the car would still roll forwards slowly, and it would be hard to pull out of gear. I took it to the dealer after a day or two of this, and they found nothing wrong. In their defense, when I picked it up, it was fine. I drove it since then without any issues until today, and it's back. Same deal as before. Car is fairly low miles (12,000), and as mentioned has not been abused in any way.

I was reading in this thread that at least with the older Shelby's there was air that could sometimes get into the system.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/57962-clutchbrake-master-cylinder-question-bleeding-the-clutch/

I tried pumping the clutch a few times on the way home, and it actually started to improve. This was before I got home and actually read the above link. Is this anything anybody else has encountered? I cringe every time I have to take it to the dealer, so just looking for any thoughts here. I am going to try the pumping of the clutch as mentioned in above link before each drive. Hopefully this will help. Very frustrating to say the least. The dealer isn't real close, so I fear the drive there will 'cure' the issue, and I'll be just repeating what I did 6 months ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Just updating this thread in case anybody was actually reading it. So the day I was going to take the car into the dealer, the transmission once again was working flawlessly. I don't know what the deal is here. It's been 2 weeks and it's been perfect. I wonder if air somehow is getting into the system, and it take a few days to work its way back out or something. I just don't know, but I wouldn't expect them to fix it if it isn't broke. If anybody has any thoughts, let me know. I was reading about the previous clutch drag issues, and this isn't the same deal. Those from what I was reading were dragging because of warped flywheels. IF this was the same deal, it would constantly be dragging, and that's just not the case here. It's almost like the master or slave cylinder isn't fully disengaging the clutch at times for whatever reason. I don't think anything is defective since it goes for months at a time without any issues, and then all of a sudden has several days worth clutch drag issues.

Anyway, just thought I would share. Maybe someone has a similar issue that has since been resolved.

JRGT500TN,

As a fellow 2012 owner, I'm very interested in hearing about what you might learn as you go along troubleshooting this problem. I'm trailing you at 5kmi, but if there's something going on that might be common to our year or that might show up when I get around the milage you started noting the clutch issue I'll be most appreciative of any info that might help prevent/address the problem if it shows up.

Thanks for taking the time to post and update your experiences. Though I can't help with explaining it, if one of our guys has insight into this problem I'm sure you'll get some good feedback. Being able to track your clutch issue is greatly appreciated.

Good luck with getting things back on an even keel.

All the best,

Quinn

PS My wife grew up in Franklin, TN; you anywhere around there?

• 3 weeks later...

subscribing for any information. I am a new 2012 Shelby GT500 owner and am reading everything I can find about this car on this forum.

Thanks.

BTW: MTYQIN : meant in the best possible way - prick! ( :drool: ) I looked at your engine pic and REALLY like the look. Your battery cover caught my eye and I'll have to look into that.

Archived