TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Holy Grail Of Removing Rubber Marks

Mtcobra

I don't know if this has already been found or not but I worked for an hour yesterday trying to get all the rubber marks off my car after 3 track days.

I probably got 50% off after an hour or so with just washing the car and scrubbing on it with a towel. An hour or so later I took my SUV into PepBoys to get the oil changed (Yes I perform my own maintenance on my GT500) and I saw a Goodyear product called an EZ Eraser for auto, boat and RV finishes. The package said it "effortlessly removes scuffs and smudges" with just water. It looks like a white sponge. It was 2 for $3 so I bought 2 to try.

Anyway...I removed the other 50% of the rubber scuffs in about 10 minutes with minimal/minimal effort. Great product...I can't say enough good about it.

Travis

Thanks guys for the info on the WD40! I have the front of my Shelby covered with a 3M clear car bra but still would get a few rubber marks on the hood as well along the doors.

Actually, THIS is what *I* consider the Holy Grail... but it is VERY powerful, and should not be allowed to sit on paint too long:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09224.html

Jer

I have a few marks from this past weekend event....I briefly tried gently using some Mothers Cleaner wax in a couple of spots, and they came right off with minimal effort. Should I be using something else?

I did a full major synthetic wax job on the car two days prior to the event, and I thought that might help.

Does WD40 do a better job of preventing scratches over a cleaner wax?

Andy.

I have a few marks from this past weekend event....I briefly tried gently using some Mothers Cleaner wax in a couple of spots, and they came right off with minimal effort. Should I be using something else?

I did a full major synthetic wax job on the car two days prior to the event, and I thought that might help.

Does WD40 do a better job of preventing scratches over a cleaner wax?

Andy.

NO. Your synthetic wax job is probably what made the nasty stuff so easy to remove. Smart!

Jer

Just my 2 cents. Tracking my Shelby since 2007 and have got clean up after 3 days 540 miles of Daytona down to a wash and dry. First wash car with good car wash that won't harm your wax. Then use Nu Finish and a sponge covered in a cloth and soaked in water to clean any marks. Oh make sure the car is still wet when you start the Nu Finish cleaning if not wet it down. Then do your normal drying and buff a little to get the polish to shine. I also use the Nu Finish on all the painted parts under the car to remove any rubber marks and protect the finish. You can prevent rust on new bare metal using this polish on it. My 07 Super Snake has 22000 miles on it, most track miles and the bare metal parts still look new. I don't wet down the wheels and brakes unless I have a air hose to dry all water off everything. Rusty brakes on a clean car just doesn't work for me. Nu Finish also works well cleaning my enclosed car trailer. Do the same steps keeping it wet when you clean the black streaks. Hope this works for everyone as well as it does for me.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Archived