TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Could A 2008 Shelby GT500KR Become Reality?

Staff

He said that a couple of years ago. Not back in the 60s.

I've been to CS in Las Vegas. Very cool museum. We did a tour and saw Cobras being made and the Series 1.

I agree... nice tour -- nice to see them still being made and nice that both the original AC body and the later (427 vintage years) flare-body are both still produced. Last fall Carroll was rafling-off his own 427 cobra (really LOW miles) for a charity fundraiser, so I took two chances -- nedles to say I didn't win <sigh> ;-)

They also had the new Shelby V6-Stang on display (300-something HP V6 -- very nice looking

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said that a couple of years ago. Not back in the 60s.

I've been to CS in Las Vegas. Very cool museum. We did a tour and saw Cobras being made and the Series 1.

Patrick, I meant to ask you.... which one was the series-1? Is the the super hi-po 65 shelby or is that the one like opposite the receptionist counter that looks like the the Daytona (which I think is powered by an unmentionable brand of engine ;-)

Patrick, I meant to ask you.... which one was the series-1? Is the the super hi-po 65 shelby or is that the one like opposite the receptionist counter that looks like the the Daytona (which I think is powered by an unmentionable brand of engine ;-)

That was the Silver car with that 4.0 l V8 Oldsmobile Aurora engine! yak!

series1_3.jpg

series1_3.jpg

That was the Silver car with that 4.0 l V8 Oldsmobile Aurora engine! yak!

Ah, that's what I thought...

fyi... I just started a new thread on the GT500KR -- it would seem that the Shelby folks are telling people it's real as a 2008 model (in 2007) by Shelby (not Ford).... see my topic : GT500KR by Shelby? This is great news!

Cheerzzz....

Contracts are contracts... Ford had rights to use the Shelby name for several years -- I don't know the details, but that's my understanding. Besides, the '68 Shelby was one awesome ride, just wasn't made by Shelby. When the contract was up Carroll eventually contracted with Chrysler -- was a sad day for Ford fans (unthinkable at the time!) and so glad to see his smiling old face again affiliated, quite rightfully, with with the blue Ford oval!

Actually I know Carroll Shelby,a long time ago,..as I have worked for him in the past! You are correct in stating about the contract and basically Ford taking and using his name,.....but contrary from another post by someone stating the gt500 conv. was his favorite is not reall true,..as he might have said that as a markting ploy for today,...but his favorite mustang was and always will be the lighter,smaller 65-66 shelby gt-350(R model)as well as the factory 65-66 gt-350. He actually didn't really like the next generation of shelby's that ford took his name and put on the car from 67-70,...as he was trying to back out of the deal,as the car was very nose heavy,..and plowed into the corners! But his all time favorite car was and always will be the AC Cobra,and cobra daytona...that was definitely his baby!!! And I'm sure he would love for ford to sell the modern day version of that!

Actually I know Carroll Shelby,a long time ago,..as I have worked for him in the past! You are correct in stating about the contract and basically Ford taking and using his name,.....but contrary from another post by someone stating the gt500 conv. was his favorite is not reall true,..as he might have said that as a markting ploy for today,...but his favorite mustang was and always will be the lighter,smaller 65-66 shelby gt-350(R model)as well as the factory 65-66 gt-350. He actually didn't really like the next generation of shelby's that ford took his name and put on the car from 67-70,...as he was trying to back out of the deal,as the car was very nose heavy,..and plowed into the corners! But his all time favorite car was and always will be the AC Cobra,and cobra daytona...that was definitely his baby!!! And I'm sure he would love for ford to sell the modern day version of that!

Yeah, I agree... that's why I bet it was a modern quote (re the 68 vert)... he loved the 65 GT350 like you love a son. Do you recall the HP on that? I rememver the regulat 289 hi-po was 271HP and the Hertz black/gold Shelby fastbacks were 306, but wasn't the Shelby GT 350s 330HP or thereabouts? Pretty impressive and that short stroke 289 liked going to 7,800rpm if I recall. It was REALLY oversquare too, somthing like 4.0 bore by 2.87 stroke if I recall -- I remember when the 302 came out it was 4.0 x 3.0. But the long stroke modulars of today make torque like crazy -- nice for moving 2-ton GT500s :-) Heck, my 68 Fastback is around 3150lbs, so it's 335HP 390 motivates it pretty good, but stock it didn't handle like the 65 GT350 -- they were so sweet! ...and probably under 3000lbs too!

Yeah, I agree... that's why I bet it was a modern quote (re the 68 vert)... he loved the 65 GT350 like you love a son. Do you recall the HP on that? I rememver the regulat 289 hi-po was 271HP and the Hertz black/gold Shelby fastbacks were 306, but wasn't the Shelby GT 350s 330HP or thereabouts? Pretty impressive and that short stroke 289 liked going to 7,800rpm if I recall. It was REALLY oversquare too, somthing like 4.0 bore by 2.87 stroke if I recall -- I remember when the 302 came out it was 4.0 x 3.0. But the long stroke modulars of today make torque like crazy -- nice for moving 2-ton GT500s :-) Heck, my 68 Fastback is around 3150lbs, so it's 335HP 390 motivates it pretty good, but stock it didn't handle like the 65 GT350 -- they were so sweet! ...and probably under 3000lbs too!

Well,as I remembered back then,here's a little history from what and how I remembered it,the new-for-1964 Mustang was a hit, but in standard form it had no teeth. Ford wanted a performance version of the car that could go after the Corvette in SCCA B Production racing, so it tagged Carroll Shelby to build one. Starting with the new fastback body style and a 289-ci, 271-hp "K code" V8, Shelby created the GT 350. It was the right car at the right time, putting Ford on the SCCA racing map, and leading Shelby to a promising future modifying Mustangs.

Today the GT 350 is regarded as the purest of all the Shelby Mustangs built from 1965-1970. With the Shelby-ized "K code" making 306 hp and bellowing through a barely legal factory side exhaust, the car is pure performance nirvana. Its close-ratio aluminum Borg Warner T-10M four-speed with steep, 3.89:1-geared Detroit Locker differential, quick steering, competent suspension, and big brakes make it one of the few cars to leave Detroit that was truly ready for track duty right out of the box.

In the Shelby world, 1965 GT 350s have always been the ones to own, as they are wonderful, multi-purpose street and track cars, along the lines of a Ferrari 250 SWB. Shelby went on to produce many more Mustang variants, including big block GT 500s, but, the first were the best.

As far as the "R" model is concerned,Each "R" model was especially hand built with similar but, unique features like: "everything delete" ( carpet, headliner, glass windows, door panels, original gas tank, bumpers etc). Windows were replaced by plexiglas and the rear window was vented for slip-stream. The front apron was replaced by a 'fish mouth' fiberglass opening which allowed fresh air to be ducted for the oil cooler, radiator and brakes. The quarter panel vents were riveted closed while the front fenders were flared. The rear bumper was initially painted white and then eventually eliminated entirely on some "R" Models. Shelby Mag Wheels were replaced by the American Racing Mags. Even the speedometer was replaced by a 0-160 m.p.h. version and the tach with an 8k unit. Special dash lights were installed to indicate alternator, high beam and turn signals below the instrument pod. Each car received. a roll bar, fire extinguisher and a special fiberglass seat(s). Our car has the Optional Passenger Seat w/ 5-point Racing Harness. The motor was 'Shelby-ized" by Shelby Americans wizards and each boasted 350-370 h.p. by the time it left the airplane hangar (factory). The engine looks 'spaced out' with huge oil breather stacks and a mammoth oil pan. The gas tank was replaced w/ a 34 gallon unit, which was fed by opening the trunk. Even the battery was moved , for weight transfer gain, to the trunk. Every "R" model was track tested at Willow Springs Ca. before delivery. Shelby even gave notice to all Corvette racers that "the only time a Corvette would see Victory Lane is if a Shelby GT 350 didn't show up". Hence the legend was born.

After initial production of the first factory team cars only 32 actual Shelby "R" competition models were built for corporate / public use. Each carries a special V.I.N. number and were not sold for street use. Despite the fact they only cost $5950 new not many "R" models were sold.

The moment you start the car....you know it's pure race bred. The sound is deafening. The exhaust and carbs compete for the most "db". You can tell Carroll Shelby meant business. Weight on the 65 GT350 was around or just about 2800lbs.,while the "R" model was about just over 2700 lbs!Sorry for the long post!

post-2674-1147376470_thumb.jpg

post-2674-1147376470_thumb.jpg

Well,as I remembered back then,here's a little history from what and how I remembered it,the new-for-1964 Mustang was a hit, but in standard form it had no teeth. Ford wanted a performance version of the car that could go after the Corvette in SCCA B Production racing, so it tagged Carroll Shelby to build one. Starting with the new fastback body style and a 289-ci, 271-hp "K code" V8, Shelby created the GT 350. It was the right car at the right time, putting Ford on the SCCA racing map, and leading Shelby to a promising future modifying Mustangs.

Today the GT 350 is regarded as the purest of all the Shelby Mustangs built from 1965-1970. With the Shelby-ized "K code" making 306 hp and bellowing through a barely legal factory side exhaust, the car is pure performance nirvana. Its close-ratio aluminum Borg Warner T-10M four-speed with steep, 3.89:1-geared Detroit Locker differential, quick steering, competent suspension, and big brakes make it one of the few cars to leave Detroit that was truly ready for track duty right out of the box.

In the Shelby world, 1965 GT 350s have always been the ones to own, as they are wonderful, multi-purpose street and track cars, along the lines of a Ferrari 250 SWB. Shelby went on to produce many more Mustang variants, including big block GT 500s, but, the first were the best.

As far as the "R" model is concerned,Each "R" model was especially hand built with similar but, unique features like: "everything delete" ( carpet, headliner, glass windows, door panels, original gas tank, bumpers etc). Windows were replaced by plexiglas and the rear window was vented for slip-stream. The front apron was replaced by a 'fish mouth' fiberglass opening which allowed fresh air to be ducted for the oil cooler, radiator and brakes. The quarter panel vents were riveted closed while the front fenders were flared. The rear bumper was initially painted white and then eventually eliminated entirely on some "R" Models. Shelby Mag Wheels were replaced by the American Racing Mags. Even the speedometer was replaced by a 0-160 m.p.h. version and the tach with an 8k unit. Special dash lights were installed to indicate alternator, high beam and turn signals below the instrument pod. Each car received. a roll bar, fire extinguisher and a special fiberglass seat(s). Our car has the Optional Passenger Seat w/ 5-point Racing Harness. The motor was 'Shelby-ized" by Shelby Americans wizards and each boasted 350-370 h.p. by the time it left the airplane hangar (factory). The engine looks 'spaced out' with huge oil breather stacks and a mammoth oil pan. The gas tank was replaced w/ a 34 gallon unit, which was fed by opening the trunk. Even the battery was moved , for weight transfer gain, to the trunk. Every "R" model was track tested at Willow Springs Ca. before delivery. Shelby even gave notice to all Corvette racers that "the only time a Corvette would see Victory Lane is if a Shelby GT 350 didn't show up". Hence the legend was born.

After initial production of the first factory team cars only 32 actual Shelby "R" competition models were built for corporate / public use. Each carries a special V.I.N. number and were not sold for street use. Despite the fact they only cost $5950 new not many "R" models were sold.

The moment you start the car....you know it's pure race bred. The sound is deafening. The exhaust and carbs compete for the most "db". You can tell Carroll Shelby meant business. Weight on the 65 GT350 was around or just about 2800lbs.,while the "R" model was about just over 2700 lbs!Sorry for the long post!

Hey, Sssss... thanks so much for that trip down memory lane... I can tell you really relived some special times as you wrote it... It really brought nostalgic joy to my heart... the GT350s were so sweet and you filled in a few details on the Rs I wasn't aware of... thanks, my friend! Makes me want to be 20 again ;-)

Hey, Sssss... thanks so much for that trip down memory lane... I can tell you really relived some special times as you wrote it... It really brought nostalgic joy to my heart... the GT350s were so sweet and you filled in a few details on the Rs I wasn't aware of... thanks, my friend! Makes me want to be 20 again ;-)

You are very welcome my friend! Thank you for allowing me to reminisce as I was involved in racing them in bygone years! Your never too old,..Right?! Well, that's what I keep telling myself anyhow! And I don't think I'll ever be seein' 20 again,...soo I have a better chance of hoping a new retro "R" model too come out!! And if it does,..I'm all over it!! :shift:

Only used on the track of course. He churns nearly 500hp at 7800rpm. The engine is a bit stroked, better cams etc...

Ahhh,...The advantages of modern technology!!! Sounds like a true beast!! It's my favorite of all Shelby stangs!

SWEET

Sssss, Thanks for the great info awsome car!

My pleasure!! I'm pretty good at all the old stuff,..but I'm gonna need some help from all you younger guys for modifying my new 07 Shelby when I get it!! I know I can count on you all,and what a great bunch of guys on this site! I have learned more and more each day, from everyone on here! And Robert Lane is the best!! He must have built-in radar homing devices for catching all the new info and pics! I must say that,I feel it a honor and priviledge, too be amoung the best mustang enthusiasts and site on the internet,..hands down!! Thanks guys, Sssss (John).

Archived