TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Could A 2008 Shelby GT500KR Become Reality?

Staff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOLLY CRAP ROBERT!

HAVE YOU BEEN HOLDING OUT ON US or WHAT!

UNFRIGGING BELIEVABLE!

A GT500KR?

I think I’m going to faint from too much info overload, decisions, decisions, decisions, decisions….I’ll take 1 of each please.

by the way Robert & staff that was an AWESOME find...everyday is Chistmas on this site..

I hope this is true and Ford makes a formal announcement soon. It would certainly take some of the ADM heat off the regular GT500. The "collector" wannabe's will turn focus to the KR version and demand will drop off the regular ones.

Another thought is maybe this car is an exercise from the new "personalization" division that Mark Fields was talking about with the new 3 level concept for Ford Performance. I'd like to see the metal grill pieces become available for and bolt right in to my GT500.

OK, not to be a spoil sport on this exciting possibility, but here is what I had heard about this prototype car:

Not a GT500KR, but a new front fascia being studied for homoglation purposes on the Mustang FR500C's for better cooling in Grand Am Cup races. My guess is that the GT500's are just serving as mules for the FR500C's. 80% of their chassis components are the same, anyway, so using a GT500 as the mule makes perfect sense.

Now, would I like to see the GT500KR name return next year? Sure. But, I think the FR500C homoglation scenario is what we're seeing here. I hope I'm wrong.

Ready for the next stage. THIS is the car that I have been waiting for, the limited production, insider only, pure SVT version that only goes to knowlegable dealers with knowledgable owners who DRIVE the damm thing! Hammer some Honda's anyone? :censored:

It would certainly take some of the ADM heat off the regular GT500. The "collector" wannabe's will turn focus to the KR version and demand will drop off the regular ones.

I'd like to see the metal grill pieces become available for and bolt right in to my GT500.

5.4 - Agree on your ADM statement, and I hope the grill will be available too! Very tough looking!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 25 2006, 02:33 PM) 9194[/snapback]

Not a GT500KR, but a new front fascia being studied for homoglation purposes on the Mustang FR500C's for better cooling in Grand Am Cup races. I hope I'm wrong.

Five Oh - just when I started liking you again, you go and pee on my Cheerios! :hysterical: I'm keeping my eyes on you buster! :victory:

Not sure about the FR500 connection since Multimatic and Total Performance are involved with those cars. I'm in the school of thought that SVT is using the pictured car for test (engine cooling/emissions) purposes.

Besides, the FR500 doesn't use a Shelby front clip/grille.

Besides, the FR500 doesn't use a Shelby front clip/grille.

Not yet, at least. Again, I've heard that they are testing the new front clip to get it homoglated for FR500C use. This leads me to believe that the standard Mustang GT front clip is not providing enough airflow to cool the FR500C's in Grand Am races. The Shelby front end would help immensely, but needs to be homoglated before it can be incorporated into the Grand Am racers.

Five Oh - just when I started liking you again, you go and pee on my Cheerios! :hysterical: I'm keeping my eyes on you buster! :victory:

Does that make your breakfast "golden O's of oats"? Just kiddin'

Like I said, I hope we see a GT500KR, but I think we're looking at the next FR500C front clip.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 25 2006, 04:09 PM) 9203[/snapback]

Not yet, at least. Again, I've heard that they are testing the new front clip to get it homoglated for FR500C use. This leads me to believe that the standard Mustang GT front clip is not providing enough airflow to cool the FR500C's in Grand Am races. The Shelby front end would help immensely, but needs to be homoglated before it can be incorporated into the Grand Am racers.

Like I said, I hope we see a GT500KR, but I think we're looking at the next FR500C front clip.

Thanks for the tip, we'll certainly look into it. . .one can never know :confused:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 25 2006, 03:09 PM) 9203[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

According to Ford Racing, the FR500 front end poses a problen at speed with excessive lift. The GT500 front end sits out further and the use of the splitter eliminates the front end lift problem. They are in the process of requesting homogilation

According to Ford Racing, the FR500 front end poses a problen at speed with excessive lift. The GT500 front end sits out further and the use of the splitter eliminates the front end lift problem. They are in the process of requesting homogilation

Yes, yes, that's what it was! Not cooling, but lift at speed. svttim is right on this one! Thanks for correcting me.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 25 2006, 02:24 PM) 9211[/snapback]

Yes, yes, that's what it was! Not cooling, but lift at speed. svttim is right on this one! Thanks for correcting me.

OK, could someone educate me here? Are you saying this does not look to be a GT500KR? What exactly is the FR500C? Is this Fords racing version that is not available for public purchase? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not up on all the racing tech.

Ford could certainly use the Shelby front end/body in that racing circuit, but they wouldn't do it without using the GT500 name on the car. Thus, they would drop the FR500 and bring the GT500 in, otherwise, they would be dilluting the Shelby's unique front end.

We could also be seeing the evolution of a GT500 racer in place of a Cobra "R".

Either way, this would not discount a production KR for 2008.

OK, could someone educate me here? Are you saying this does not look to be a GT500KR? What exactly is the FR500C? Is this Fords racing version that is not available for public purchase? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not up on all the racing tech.

Click here for everything you'd want to know about the Mustang FR500C. FYI, price for the complete car is $125,000.

Maybe I should take a stab at the obvious. Why homologate just a clip from the GT500? It would make sense to homologate an entire friggin' GT500R for racing a la 1993, 1995, 2000. Why wouldn't Ford want to race a Shelby name in competition to reap the benefits in the press they are throwing away with their currently excellent customer relations on the GT500. Sigh. There I go again. Sorry.

Maybe I should take a stab at the obvious. Why homologate just a clip from the GT500? It would make sense to homologate an entire friggin' GT500R for racing a la 1993, 1995, 2000. Why wouldn't Ford want to race a Shelby name in competition to reap the benefits in the press they are throwing away with their currently excellent customer relations on the GT500. Sigh. There I go again. Sorry.

The KR might just be done at SHELBY AUTOMOTIVE . Just like the 350-H, A hint maybe .....Check out post #13

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=24&st=0

Awesome info Robert! I'm glad you let the cat out of the bag before I totally lost my mind! :kuko: I personally will not be holding out as long as my deal goes through for my 2007. Even assuming they make a KR for 2008, they would likely price it out of my league. Great to here they may be working on this though. :rockon:

"GT500KR prototype or a road racing Shelby "R"?"

"Ford is keenly aware that the GT500KR is legendary and has always exemplified the height of the muscle car era. Should Ford decide to bring the KR back, count on 2008 as the target date because it would not only celebrate the vehicle's 40th anniversary, it would also be a marketing bonanza for both Ford and Shelby American. But will a GT500KR really happen? Word around Dearborn is that a GT500KR just might return to welcome the Camaro and Challenger from their comas."

From what Robert wrote from the article above his he not saying that it could be a GT500KR or a Shelby R?

I'm hoping for the "King of the Road" :shift:

I'm hoping that there's lots of left over 2008 Shelby GT500's (call them whatever you want) and that Ford rebadges and serializes them as 2009's to unload them (kinda like the leftover 1969 Shelby's that became 1970's). Then offer really, really big rebates so that I can afford one.

Here's my plan:

1) Get wife drunk until she passes out :party:

2) Go out and buy a Shelby GT500 :woohoo:

3) Pack bags and get the hell out of town :shift:

Sounds like a genious plan to me. You better be :shift: fast to get away so she doesn't :finger: and then you'll be :cry:

I'm gonna have to rain on the parade....I had to fight with my dealer (chamber of commerce, the parent company of the delaership...better biz bureau...) to get them to sell a GT500 to me. The BS was never ending. I finally sent in my order form today after calling him out on his "we still don't know anything yet BS"... C'mon guy I was born at night but not last night. Point is, (am I ranting yet???) I couldn't begin to fathom the run around average guys like us would rec for a KR! A KR!!!!! One year of production!!??? Not a snowball's chance. Unless your the dealers golf buddy or immediate family. :rant:

Fed up but still happy (?)

Archived