TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Could A 2008 Shelby GT500KR Become Reality?

Staff

Sorry all, but I don't buy it. As much as I want the KR to be reborn - and I do think there is a good chance that it will be - I don't think this is it.

It's a pretty well known fact that the FR500's have a front end lift issue, and that the GT-R and GT500 are the result of SOME of the development. If you look at the changes - open grill, roll bar, etc. this looks more like a FR500 test mule than a KR (FR500 - D?).

That is not to say that a KR could not be an eventual variant like the 2000 model Cobra R.

And if that grill becomes available I WANT IT! Very Nice.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna have to rain on the parade....I had to fight with my dealer (chamber of commerce, the parent company of the delaership...better biz bureau...) to get them to sell a GT500 to me. The BS was never ending. I finally sent in my order form today after calling him out on his "we still don't know anything yet BS"... C'mon guy I was born at night but not last night. Point is, (am I ranting yet???) I couldn't begin to fathom the run around average guys like us would rec for a KR! A KR!!!!! One year of production!!??? Not a snowball's chance. Unless your the dealers golf buddy or immediate family. :rant:

Fed up but still happy (?)

Hey Crazyhorse, what kind of price did you come to agreement with? I'm kind of in the same position with my dealer in San Diego. I'm #1 on his list and have had no information from him since gaining the listing. Like you, I have probably given him more information of the car since establishing my ranking than he has given me. I'm still waiting for that phone call to come in and talk "turkey"(or should I say "Snake") with him. I eagerly await the day when I can drive my 427SC into his lot to sign the paperwork! Hope to here from you soon. Thanks, Howard(Alias Nice Asp). :happy feet: :happy feet:

I'm gonna have to rain on the parade....I had to fight with my dealer (chamber of commerce, the parent company of the delaership...better biz bureau...) to get them to sell a GT500 to me. The BS was never ending. I finally sent in my order form today after calling him out on his "we still don't know anything yet BS"... C'mon guy I was born at night but not last night. Point is, (am I ranting yet???) I couldn't begin to fathom the run around average guys like us would rec for a KR! A KR!!!!! One year of production!!??? Not a snowball's chance. Unless your the dealers golf buddy or immediate family. :rant:

Fed up but still happy (?)

I feel your pain... My wife who works at our local Ford dealer, told me that she overheard a conversation between the owner of the dealer and the top sales manager and he said quote " Iam reserveing all 5 allocated Shelby's to my friends" end quote!.... None of the Shelbys at my dealer will even be sold to the general public.

:sos:

I feel your pain... My wife who works at our local Ford dealer, told me that she overheard a conversation between the owner of the dealer and the top sales manager and he said quote " Iam reserveing all 5 allocated Shelby's to my friends" end quote!.... None of the Shelbys at my dealer will even be sold to the general public.

Ohhh!! that makes me mad :rant::rant::rant::rant: Now I have to :tequila:

Here's my personal opinion: I have been feeling that the '08 Shelby Mustang would be a GT500KR since they announced that it would be more than a one model year run. My feeling is that it will keep interest in the Shelby strong, and since that is the way things were done in the 60's that it would be natural to have the '08 be a KR. I think Ford will raise the MSRP a bit, maybe bump the Horsepower a bit, but it will be very close to the '07 GT500. If you look at the '68 KR the only physical (appearance) difference from the '68 GT500 is the addition of "KR" on the side stripe and a "428 Cobra Jet" emblem on the front fenders. The horsepower rating actually dropped from the '67 GT500 to the '68 KR, although nobody really believed that to be the case. This is why I've been saying that a person will not save any money by waiting for an '08 Shelby, I think Ford will raise the price because of the hype surrounding the '07 GT500, and there will be as much hysteria for the KR as there is the '07 GT500, thus driving the ADM situation into the next year. If they do improve HP & torque for the '08 I believe it will continue into the '09 models as well, because in the '60's they dropped the "KR" from the '69 GT500, but they were still powered by the 428CJ. They even added some performance options for the '69 that were not offered in '68, like the Super Cobra Jet engine and the "Drag Pack" suspension package. Anyway, I'm just speculating like everybody else, but it's great to see Muscle Car Mania back again!

I was told that by 2 local dealers - owner was taking at least one (most likely 2 - coupe and vert) and would buy the others to re-sell to his friends (so that he wouldn't have to pay sales commissions and would get a better cost by buying it himself). The one sales manager actually laughed in my face when I first asked him about his "list" months ago - said something about "these suckers actually think they have a chance at getting one!" Said that they actually took deposits (luckily they were refundable!) from some people - nice way to get a interest free loan for about a year! :doh: Needless to say I've never gone back to either dealership.

:rant: Scum... it's all over - one was in the Metro area, one was a small town dealer.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Apr 25 2006, 05:17 PM) 9232[/snapback]

I'm hoping that there's lots of left over 2008 Shelby GT500's (call them whatever you want) and that Ford rebadges and serializes them as 2009's to unload them (kinda like the leftover 1969 Shelby's that became 1970's). Then offer really, really big rebates so that I can afford one.

From your mouth to the ears of the GT500 team man! :woohoo:

I'll drink to that! :party:

Holy crap, Robert. I was out last night and woke up this morning and what do I see on this forum. This.

I would like to believe it will be a follow up on the R models, but I do not think so. As long as it will be with a SC engine in it, it will be to heavy to be a R. A possible homologation car? Could be. The hood lift is so worse that they lost the hood at Daytona.

I agree with OwenKelley. We have a good change to get a KR for 2008, like in 68. Prepare for a new Mach 1 in 2009.

Five Oh B, glad to have you back.

What about an R model with a 6.2L aluminum block (Hurricane engine based)- no blower? Very much like an updated Cobra -R.

Just something to think about.

3Cobras - Homologation - Ford Racing is VERY proud of their success with the FR500's. Despite what many believe, the Shelby name on the car is a marketing tool - a successful one - but the real development is done under the Ford Racing/SVT banner. Using every asset available to reduce the front end lift problem, even using the GT500 front end, is well worth it if they can make the FR500's even more sucessful.

Robert!!! You outdone yourself this time!!!!!! Where do I sign up??!! This is the coolest info Ive heard in a long, long time!! ...I've been telling everyone that when ford got Shelby on board that he would make an even meaner lighter,faster shelby,than svt ! And everyone bit#hed about svt is better and all this junk talk!! I know Carroll personally,and he will take it 5 notches above svt! I think its great that Ford svt and shelby are all part of one team now! Their all winners in my book!! Thanks for the info!!! :rockon:

Guest markham51

There is only one solid business reason IMHO to build a KR.....to continue to build on the recent Mustang brand success in a meaningful way. A slimmed down "race version" of the car is the only thing that makes sense to me. Limit production, reduce weight, tweek the horse power/blower combination and suspension. This "R"level of differentiation makes much more sense than simply a rebadged GT500 (regardless of the history of the KR). With Chrysler and Chevrolet introducing Mustang competitors, Ford needs to up the ante and show the colors! This is not 1968......then follow it up with a 2009 BOSS :cheerleader:

If Ford is going to rebuild its car business it needs to take every opportunity to build its Brands the way Toyota and Honda have in recent years.

There is only one solid business reason IMHO to build a KR.....to continue to build on the recent Mustang brand success in a meaningful way. A slimmed down "race version" of the car is the only thing that makes sense to me. Limit production, reduce weight, tweek the horse power/blower combination and suspension. This "R"level of differentiation makes much more sense than simply a rebadged GT500 (regardless of the history of the KR). With Chrysler and Chevrolet introducing Mustang competitors, Ford needs to up the ante and show the colors! This is not 1968......then follow it up with a 2009 BOSS :cheerleader:

If Ford is going to rebuild its car business it needs to take every opportunity to build its Brands the way Toyota and Honda have in recent years.

I doubt the R version will be SC'd. It would make it illegal in most if not all race classes.

Ford loves their special edition cars, whether it be trucks or cars. They have made the caliofornia special the stampede edition. Talk of the Mach coming back. Why not "KR" I think that it is a very good possibility that the car will be here in 2008. Ford seems to be following some history time line while introducing their Mustangs. It would be a car I would want.

I honestly have no clue as to what I should do. I started saving for the GT-500, then I heard a Boss might come out around 2009 and now I hear about a possible 2008KR. During all this overflow of information and excitement, I find out the GT-500 having factory problems... So, I have a few options...

I can go on hybernation state :boring: and wake up maybe in the year 2010. See whats the best mustang and go back in time and buy it.

I can continue waiting :lurk: with my current shameful car and strike the Ford dealerships in the right moment.

Or i can... *over heats and falls off the chair*

:sos::violin:

*gets up* I have the solution! I will work hard and get rich, then I can buy it all! VICTORY IS MINE! :bowdown:

Yeah, I believe it. Can't say I'm surprised, it's about money and that's what they do. Hostage negotiators would have an easier time.

Yeah, I believe it. Can't say I'm surprised, it's about money and that's what they do. Hostage negotiators would have an easier time.

I wish there was a way we could put this out so everyone could know and stay away from these people and also a way to put out the good guy list

I wish there was a way we could put this out so everyone could know and stay away from these people and also a way to put out the good guy list

If we have a good guy list, Mr. Good Guy's allocation will be sold out in about 2 to 6 phones calls & then were back to having only Mr. Above MSRP to go to & then they will hold out for even more $$$ knowing they have got ridden of all the Non-Greedy dealers allocations.

Nice article... just a few inaccuracies: the 1968 Shelby was not made by Shelby, but by Ford. The 67 was the last true Shelby mustang. In fact the old rift betw Carroll and FoMoCo was over the fact that Ford felt that, given the demand for the 67 Shelby, they would just do the '68 themselves which Carroll was not very happy about, or so the story goes. However, I'm quite certain the '68 Shelby was done by Ford in house and not by Carroll Shelby as were the prior ones. But, given the choice of the '68 500KR or the '68 vanilla stang fastbackwith the 427 side-oiler (see below), I'll take the latter any time (425 advertised HP that typically showed 530 dyno HP -- those were the good old days! But I'd take the new GT500 over either of them because it will outhandle the old ones, will be as fast or faster than the 427 side-oiler and get's MUCH much better mileage. This new GT500 is one outrageous pony!

Some nostalgia (not related ot the article): in 1967 I ordered a mustang fastback (390/325HP, 335HP if you ordered it as a GT with a 'seal-me' C-stripe -- a marketing game since both engines were identical, part-for-part). The autoworkers strike that year crippled Ford and all orders were converted to '68s. However, when the dealer called to let me know it would ship as a '68 he did mention that for an extra $1,600 the 427 side-oiler was available (to this day I wish I has that extra $1,600 since only a few handfulls were ever shipped in a '68 and none still exist today to my knowledge --sigh!) Anyhow, I bought the '68 fastback 390 hi-po in gunmetal blue -- very nice. It cost $3006 out the door!!! It ate 396 Chevelles and 409 chevy's for lunch ;-)

Oh well, just and old-timer with run-away mouth -- give me an '07 Shelby now and shut me up!!! :-)

PS -- if you're ever in Vegas, do visit Shelby American (out by the racetrack) -- it's worth the trip (30 minutes from downtown) for sure and the museum and tour are great!

Nice article... just a few inaccuracies: the 1968 Shelby was not made by Shelby, but by Ford. The 67 was the last true Shelby mustang. In fact the old rift betw Carroll and FoMoCo was over the fact that Ford felt that, given the demand for the 67 Shelby, they would just do the '68 themselves which Carroll was not very happy about, or so the story goes. However, I'm quite certain the '68 Shelby was done by Ford in house and not by Carroll Shelby.

Why did Shelby let Ford use his name for the 68 if they had a falling out?

Why did Shelby let Ford use his name for the 68 if they had a falling out?

Contracts are contracts... Ford had rights to use the Shelby name for several years -- I don't know the details, but that's my understanding. Besides, the '68 Shelby was one awesome ride, just wasn't made by Shelby. When the contract was up Carroll eventually contracted with Chrysler -- was a sad day for Ford fans (unthinkable at the time!) and so glad to see his smiling old face again affiliated, quite rightfully, with with the blue Ford oval!

Did you know that Carroll's all time favorite Shelby was the GT500KR convertible? That's what he said.

I can believe it -- it was an awesome car. But I'd wager that's a modern quote (not from the 60's <<grin>>) ...do you know when he said that?. Since Carroll and Ford have all made-up now and all...

In Carroll's museum in LasVegas, there's one Shelby Mustang of each year -- very nice to see them all side by side, including the original GT350...very cool!

I can believe it -- it was an awesome car. But I'd wager that's a modern quote (not from the 60's <<grin>>) ...do you know when he said that?. Since Carroll and Ford have all made-up now and all...

In Carroll's museum in LasVegas, there's one Shelby Mustang of each year -- very nice to see them all side by side, including the original GT350...very cool!

He said that a couple of years ago. Not back in the 60s.

I've been to CS in Las Vegas. Very cool museum. We did a tour and saw Cobras being made and the Series 1.

Archived