TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking To Spend 40K On A Used Gt500Kr ( 2008 )

Jewish Santa

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like delivery mileage KRs still demand list asking prices. Red and Vista seem to be rising to the top value wise.

Point is this clearly points to the fact the KR is special and it's luster will come back even more so in time.

Try asking list for a delivery mileage 2008 or 2009 Standard GT500. Don't see anyone trying that.

He's tried selling that one before. Ask all you want, but that doesn't mean it's selling. The 08 vista blue on MSO sold at live auction for $30k less than that.

Not trying to be debbie downer here...just trying to separate reality from the perception that was largely generated from Shelby's hype factory.

Again IMHO, the monetary "value" has absolutely zero effect on my perception that the KR is special or has a luster. If someone appreciates a KR more because they paid $85k rather than $55k, then I think that perception has missed the point.

All speculation at this point. KR's being limited production do have the possibility of holding value better than the base GT500 so there is logic in that statement. For those attempting to sell their KR for a premium dollar amount, patience will most likely win the day as there are always two fools born a minute and one has money. No offense...

I've seen KR's selling locally for mid $40's and don't see that number appreciating anytime soon, but do feel it is a possibility as time passes. I also believe the GT500's could also appreciate at some point. Who knows if any of these cars will ever truly become collector cars, but it doesn't hurt to have the Shelby moniker.

The delivery mile KR's need to go to Barrett Jackson or other premium auction house. That is where the deep pocketed collectors lurk. I wish the gentleman luck but I don't see the car selling above $55k in today's market. Since he paid $84k, he will take a bath.

Of course the KR will depreciate over the next bit.

If a person holds on for another 15 years they'll be able to get a screaming deal on one with 60 or 70 thousand miles on it - needing paint and all those other mechanical bits and pieces cars need at that mileage - missing original documentation that was lost or destroyed or discarded. They will spend on restoration what they would have spent today, except they will have lost years of ownership experience.

They are only new or low mileage cars - once. Todays premium KR's are priced too high for the uninformed enthusiast or wafflers who want to get in and get out after a few years of ownership.

Todays premium KR's would be most attractive to those enthusiasts that want to buy and pass down to their heirs the last of the pre-titled Shelbs that will ever be built. When was the last big block pre-titled Shelb before the KR? 1967? An owner that is looking to develop their own brand of historical providence with their kids would be interested in the KR. Building memories with the car that will make it more valuable than the sum of its parts.

Quick search of cars.com has most low mileage unbent KR's in the mid 60's. I would think they'd negotiate down into the high 50's. While individuals can over inflate a cars value and it remains unsold, no group can "over-inflate" a cars price - cars appear for sale for a reason. To sell.

I think most of you are recognizing the few mid 40's cars coming up for sale as the norm. I would bet those cars have a "story" that comes along with them. These extra low prices are as ridiculous as the extra high prices being sought. The true market is in the middle, like it or not.

The market, for all intents and purposes seems to be around 60 in the US and 65 in Canada.

I think most of you are recognizing the few mid 40's cars coming up for sale as the norm. These extra low prices are as ridiculous as the extra high prices being sought. The true market is in the middle, like it or not.

The market, for all intents and purposes seems to be around 60 in the US...

It is the norm, because those are the ones that actually sold. Just because the majority of people are asking $60k doesn't establish $60k as fair market value.

Look, just do a search for GT500KR with a value above $40,000 under the "sold listings" and you will see what the "norm"al fair market value is. Your answer is the average (or better yet: "mean") price for the cars that have actually sold.

We see this same delusion on a regular basis in the housing market, which is why realtors go off of comps. "Comps" = most similar comparables of houses that have actually sold.

Now to be fair, the online marketplace does not reflect what KR's are selling for at other points of sale such as dealer lots or face-to-face...which really can't be statistically compiled. But online eBay sold listings absolutely sets a documented bar for all other transactions to work from. And based on the sold history online only from Feb 2014 compared to say Feb 2013, the trend is downward.

Of course the KR will depreciate over the next bit.

If a person holds on for another 15 years they'll be able to get a screaming deal on one with 60 or 70 thousand miles on it - needing paint and all those other mechanical bits and pieces cars need at that mileage - missing original documentation that was lost or destroyed or discarded. They will spend on restoration what they would have spent today, except they will have lost years of ownership experience.

They are only new or low mileage cars - once. Todays premium KR's are priced too high for the uninformed enthusiast or wafflers who want to get in and get out after a few years of ownership.

Todays premium KR's would be most attractive to those enthusiasts that want to buy and pass down to their heirs the last of the pre-titled Shelbs that will ever be built. When was the last big block pre-titled Shelb before the KR? 1967? An owner that is looking to develop their own brand of historical providence with their kids would be interested in the KR. Building memories with the car that will make it more valuable than the sum of its parts.

Quick search of cars.com has most low mileage unbent KR's in the mid 60's. I would think they'd negotiate down into the high 50's. While individuals can over inflate a cars value and it remains unsold, no group can "over-inflate" a cars price - cars appear for sale for a reason. To sell.

I think most of you are recognizing the few mid 40's cars coming up for sale as the norm. I would bet those cars have a "story" that comes along with them. These extra low prices are as ridiculous as the extra high prices being sought. The true market is in the middle, like it or not.

The market, for all intents and purposes seems to be around 60 in the US and 65 in Canada.

Well stated. Again, there is no way you could buy my KR from me for $43,000.00. Period. I will continue to enjoy it for years to come hopefully and pass it down to my kids who also love it.

The KR is the last of the Mohicans so to speak from the stand point of being last true pre-tiled Shelby produced by SAI. Not some post title job cobbled together on used vehicles, using bling wheels, a huge after market blower, plastic non functional hoods and non functional side scoops and gobs of unusable horsepower way beyond the tire capacity made in various years, colors, options, with less than optimal fit and finish (at least on the ones I have seen) etc.....

The pre-title provenance of the KR and it's true limited production and the fact that it is in fact a tastefully done, with quality fit and finish overseen in joint venture in production and design by Ford SVT resulting in a very powerful and well balanced car will speak volumes in years to come.

Well stated. Again, there is no way you could buy my KR from me for $43,000.00. Period. I will continue to enjoy it for years to come hopefully and pass it down to my kids who also love it.

The KR is the last of the Mohicans so to speak from the stand point of being last true pre-tiled Shelby produced by SAI. Not some post title job cobbled together on used vehicles, using bling wheels, a huge after market blower, plastic non functional hoods and non functional side scoops and gobs of unusable horsepower way beyond the tire capacity made in various years, colors, options, with less than optimal fit and finish (at least on the ones I have seen) etc.....

The pre-title provenance of the KR and it's true limited production and the fact that it is in fact a tastefully done, with quality fit and finish overseen in joint venture in production and design by Ford SVT resulting in a very powerful and well balanced car will speak volumes in years to come.

Well now... You've written that so well that it gave me pause and actually got me thinking about looking at used KR's instead of a new GT500 (assuming that one comes along after 2014!).

You raise some good points for consideration.

Regards,

-Pockdog

Well stated. Again, there is no way you could buy my KR from me for $43,000.00.

To your point, no one could get my GT500 away from me for that price or even more and mine is not a KR. I love my Shelby and it will be with our family for many years to come. Maybe one day it will have appreciated enough to get to the dollar amount where I "might" considering letting it go, but I seriously doubt it. Regardless of if you own a KR, GT500, Super Snake, etc..... its the love for the car that keeps it in the stable.

It is the norm, because those are the ones that actually sold. Just because the majority of people are asking $60k doesn't establish $60k as fair market value.

Look, just do a search for GT500KR with a value above $40,000 under the "sold listings" and you will see what the "norm"al fair market value is. Your answer is the average (or better yet: "mean") price for the cars that have actually sold.

We see this same delusion on a regular basis in the housing market, which is why realtors go off of comps. "Comps" = most similar comparables of houses that have actually sold.

Now to be fair, the online marketplace does not reflect what KR's are selling for at other points of sale such as dealer lots or face-to-face...which really can't be statistically compiled. But online eBay sold listings absolutely sets a documented bar for all other transactions to work from. And based on the sold history online only from Feb 2014 compared to say Feb 2013, the trend is downward.

I'll wait patiently for a member on this site to display their newly purchased KR with a bill of sale on their KR hood - for mid 40's.

Here's what have sold on the world's largest online marketplace. Frank if you want to spin yourself into a frenzy calling all of these listings BS go ahead, but I don't see anything near $59,900.00. Quite frankly I don't care if a slick-talking used car salesman scum sweet-talked a buyer into an impulse buy. This is the tool most people use for benchmark pricing:

KRs_sold2.jpg

KRs_sold.jpg

In the end none of them are ordinary and they are desired by many.

Own what stirs your soul. That's really what it is all about.

You Bettcha!

Here's what have sold on the world's largest online marketplace. Frank if you want to spin yourself into a frenzy calling all of these listings BS go ahead, but I don't see anything near $59,900.00. Quite frankly I don't care if a slick-talking used car salesman scum sweet-talked a buyer into an impulse buy. This is the tool most people use for benchmark pricing:

KRs_sold2.jpg
KRs_sold.jpg

No red......no blue.

There was a vista blue that sold on eBay maybe 4-5 months ago, and it was right around $49,500-ish. The first 08 vista blue that I personally negotiated to $52-even was 4 years ago already in 2010. The second one in that ballpark was the one I bought 2 years later. Both less than 2,000 miles. So I really don't know where you're getting this perception of $59,900 from. The last time I saw a vista blue sell at $59,900 was in 2009. People who are paying more than $52k from 2010 on were the ones not doing their homework or were impatient.

Edit, add: I just looked it up in my old e-mails. The first 08 vista blue that I personally negotiated to $52-even was in APRIL 2010. And this was a low mileage car being sold by a Ford dealership.

The reason KR values have plummeted compared to the SuperSnakes and the 40th is because many of the first owners of the KR’s bought their car on a whim with full ford financing. Most of the SS and 40th owners put down another $30,000 cash to get their cars converted. It is just human nature. Most will not value something they are only paying $1,000 a month for compared to something they paid $30,000 in cash for. I think the 40th was even less depending on options.

Plus all the parts slowly leaking out on the market after everyone was told it would never happen had something to do with it too.

What was the cost to convert the KR.? It has been awhile since I looked at the paperwork but I think it was around $35,000.

It is my belief that the average KR will in time command a higher price than the average SS of the same year, the 40th with SS options will also command a higher price than the average SS, and that rascally rabbit is the wild card. It may out price them all.

JDB: Ok. Those sales were 4 to 5 months ago and more. I can point to a Torch red KR that traded hands at $59,900.00 more recently.

I agree that if you shop you apparently can buy a KR for less especially in Silver or Black. In my mind that's all the more reason to buy one not sell one. You buy stock with potential at the low not high.

While I agree asking prices don't set value, because as my grandmother would say ( may she rest in peace ) " it's worth what you can get" the fact that there are sellers/owners hanging tough at $75 k+ for delivery mile cars and the fact that some with more miles still sell @ around $60k tells me there are still those that see the true potential of these very special Shelbys that are special even among Shelbys.

Shelby selling some KR parts to the public did piss me off and turned me off to them and if they dont care thats all the more reason i dont care. You don't break representations to owners and if you do or if it wasn't you at least have the courtesy to explain what happened and what compelled it instead of adding insult to it by ignoring us which upset me even more than the parts being sold honestly. Was deciding between the Shelby GT350 and the Boss. What happened with the KR parts made my decision easy. Paid much less got an equally performing car with great desireability .....and a better shot that ther will be no more Boss 302's and if I'm wrong at least I paid much less for it to start.

There was an announcement that Shelby GT350 production is over. Owners ecstatic. But wait....

Those here who think there will be no Shelby after market program to "Shelbyize" the Ford GT350 raise your hand. Yep, didn't raise your hand did you? If you did I have a great bridge to sell you.

The KR will get past the parts issue. It's simple. KR wheels don't make a KR. A KR clone is not a KR. The fact that KR parts are so highly desired is yet another signal on the value "seismograph" of future KR desirability.

The reason KR values have plummeted compared to the SuperSnakes and the 40th is because many of the first owners of the KR’s bought their car on a whim with full ford financing. Most of the SS and 40th owners put down another $30,000 cash to get their cars converted. It is just human nature. Most will not value something they are only paying $1,000 a month for compared to something they paid $30,000 in cash for. I think the 40th was even less depending on options.

Plus all the parts slowly leaking out on the market after everyone was told it would never happen had something to do with it too.

What was the cost to convert the KR.? It has been awhile since I looked at the paperwork but I think it was around $35,000.

It is my belief that the average KR will in time command a higher price than the average SS of the same year, the 40th with SS options will also command a higher price than the average SS, and that rascally rabbit is the wild card. It may out price them all.

For information purposes.

The 2007 40th brochure, front......

012_zpsa8098c88.jpg

rear............

011_zps3e499431.jpg

^^^Notice in the Shelby brochure above that there are no "power" upgrades listed. You could buy power upgrades to 605 and 735 horsepower, but the 40th packaged car did not become a 40th and a Super Snake.

The earlier version of the 2007-2009 Super Snake, from the 2008/2009 GT500KR era, front.........

013_zps3f3b564a.jpg

rear.........

014_zps6e0420fc.jpg

I have also watched the GT500KR market as well as the Super Snake market since I got my car back from Las Vegas in Feb. of 2009. What I see is the lower horsepower entry level Super Snakes, the 605's the later 630's and even later/newer 660's bring far less $$$ than the upper/higher horsepower optioned Super Snakes. <<These would be the 725's, 750's, 800's and 850's. Unlike the GT500KR, a "Super Snake is a Super Snake" mindset with only a color change or maybe Nav. instead of Shaker 1000 or vise versa is not reality. There are many variations from mild (6xx hp) to wild (725-up hp) and they are priced and sell depending upon power output and options chosen during the upgrade. <<And then also the convertible option for a Super Snake...........Very Cool!! but the 2007-2010's were limited to the lower hp levels, 2011-up you can buy a 800 or 850hp convert., how cool is that??

One thing I did notice, when the factory GT500 came out at the 662 level, the entry level 605, 630 and 660 seemed to take a $$$ hit. The 725-up not so much, but the lower level, yes. A Super Snake owner asking $70K or $80K for a 6xx hp Super Snake is not reality in todays world. When you see a Super Snake for sale..............first question..........."What horsepower is it?" All Super Snakes are not equal.

On a side note...........If you send a 2007-2009 GT500 out to Shelby right now, you can buy the 800hp package, installed by Shelby, CSM'ed as an 800 horse KB 3.6LC Super Snake. It will be hard for a 540 horse car to compete with that kind of power in a same year 2008/2009 in the future when the two are side-by-side for sale. Guy's who are looking for these cars will be looking for power, the big power, this is the reality of the way it has always been in the performance world. The production numbers set by Shelby have not been met yet, 2007-1000, 2008-1000, 2009-500 so they are still building them. Last I heard back in 2011, a total of just over 800 Super Snakes have been built. <<I do not know this for certain, but it was posted somewhere on Team Shelby.

Always pay attention to what the dream cars are of the youth...............they will be the big $$$ buyers of these cars 30 years from now, we will be the sellers.

R

Real One: I agree that the actual sale of the KR wheels wasn't as big of an issue as was Shelby's response (or lack thereof) to the issue. The message was loud and clear to people like you and me. I still place a very large chunk of the blame of the devaluation of KR values on the hood fiasco...because I know my mindset at the exact time I read about it. Absolutely no one on this planet wants to spend a ton of money only to be jerked around by the company you bought from :lol: . I laugh, because it's to the point of laughable how bad that was handled. All of that could have been righted with the wheels issue...but poor business decisions happened again. So we can only guess how they will handle selling 100 hoods...which is an eventuality that will happen. But I'll be here, watching the KR market as long as I'm an owner and just like I have from the beginning. ;)

That's great if one guy sold a red KR for $59,900.00, but that alone does not set fair market value. Fair market value = average (or mean) prices that KR's have recently sold for. Your one example would be included in that equation, but isn't going to raise the average much (and not at all the "mean").

To be fair I'll also clarify my previous comment to say that fair market value for a KR in 2010 was $54k to $56k...and I was probably one of the earlier people to negotiate a low price of $52k. But by 2011 the fair market value was in that $52k range...and held there until perhaps 6 months ago.

Robert: that's all very good info. The 07 grabber Super Snake that I mentioned earlier was a lower HP version. But if I was a buyer for a Super Snake, I would have preferred the earlier body style with lower HP. If people want to play the Freudian-game of "my 800 HP is better than your 600 HP", good for them. But 600 HP is still an awful lot of HP and more street-driveable. Just my $.02

"All Supersnakes are not equal". Exactly right. Thats the problem. They vary like snowflakes in year, colors, options.

However, all KR's are exactly equal and very limited in production numbers. That is what in fact makes them very special and what will having them rising substantially in the future. Why?... becuase not only are they are pre-title production cars they are pretitle true "Shelby Mustangs" having come from Shelby American and having had SAI involved in the production process with factory fit and finish and as stated in very limited production that ended over a half a decade ago. In fact, if you want a Vista Blue KR there are only 181 on the planet. You want red?...odds are a little better with a whopping 212 on the planet. No Shelbys historically were "post title after market modded" cars back in the day. Not a one. Neither is the KR. Last to follow the historical path of historical Shelbys.

Don't get me wrong. I like the SS. As your post makes clear it's allure is the huge blower and as car technology improves and so does performance with the new cars the cars that only attracted on brute force will fade away in value just like the less powerful SS's did. You made my case.

Many truly desireable cars have long ago been eclipsed by others powerwise but their allure is now in other intangibles beside brute force.

Many examples. Here are some to ponder.

1. 1965/66 GT350

2. Ferrari Dino

3. Jag 4.2 liter 6 cylinder

4. Ford GT (yes, thats right it only has 550 hp that powerwise is eclipsed by many today).

5. Shelby 427 (yes, thats right even the mighty 427 is ecliped powerwise by many today. Hell there are mini vans that will go nose to nose with it today 0 to 60).

6. Corvette C2. Have you seen the new C7!!! The C2 will endure in value nevertheless.

There are other examples too. Not a one of them is a post title conversion either. See a theme here?

So in years to come when we have that figurative Torch Red or Vista Blue KR sitting next to that 850hp SS with its huge blower my bet is the KR will be the more valuable car by a good margin to the knoweledgable collectors. Hell, if SAI is still around they may still be producing post title SS's at that point.

I stll like the SS but they are no KR. There is only one King.

"All Supersnakes are not equal". Exactly right. Thats the problem. They vary like snowflakes in year, colors, options.

However, all KR's are exactly equal and very limited in production numbers. That is what in fact makes them very special and what will having them rising substantially in the future. Why?... becuase not only are they are pre-title production cars they are pretitle true "Shelby Mustangs" having come from Shelby American and having had SAI involved in the production process with factory fit and finish and as stated in very limited production that ended over a half a decade ago. In fact, if you want a Vista Blue KR there are only 181 on the planet. You want red?...odds are a little better with a whopping 212 on the planet. No Shelbys historically were "post title after market modded" cars back in the day. Not a one. Neither is the KR. Last to follow the historical path of historical Shelbys.

Don't get me wrong. I like the SS. As your post makes clear it's allure is the huge blower and as car technology improves and so does performance with the new cars the cars that only attracted on brute force will fade away in value just like the less powerful SS's did. You made my case.

Many truly desireable cars have long ago been eclipsed by others powerwise but their allure is now in other intangibles beside brute force.

1. 1965/66 GT350

2. Ferrari Dino

4. Ford GT (yes, thats right it only has 550 hp that powerwise is eclipsed by many today).

5. Shelby 427 (yes, thats right even the mighty 427 is ecliped powerwise by many today. Hell there are mini vans that will go nose to nose with it today 0 to 60).

6. Corvette C2. Have you seen the new C7!!! The C2 will endure in value nevertheless.

There are other examples too. Not a one of them is a post title conversion either. See a theme here?

So in years to come when we have that figurative Torch Red or Vista Blue KR sitting next to that 850hp SS with its huge blower my bet is the KR will be the more valuable car by a good margin to the knoweledgable collectors. Hell, if SAI is still around they may still be producing post title SS's at that point.

I stll like the SS but they are no KR.

Agreed. There will always be more powerful cars produced year over year. It has already happened with the SS itself, and according to some of the posts above, devalued the less powerful SS versions.

Compare horsepower to rarity at BJ Auction. What comes out on top?

US and Canadian population 345 million / 212 red pre-titled KR's on the planet =

1. 1965/66 GT350

2. Ferrari Dino

Please don't take it as "made my case". I am not comparing the Super Snake to anything other than stating the facts about these cars. Too often they get grouped into "Super Snakes" like they are all the same, which they are far from that, in fact I would guess that when it is all said and done there will be some colors/models/options that will be quite rare..............as Super Snakes go, and when you start splitting them into Coupe's, Convert's etc. the numbers may really get to be limited when comparing options, colors, etc.

I hear nothing about concerns of pre-title vs. post title except from KR owners?? Why is this a concern, it doesn't appear that the general buying public and for the most part the Mustang community has any concern with this issue and their Mustang interests/dreams? in-fact the comments I have heard and hear fairly regularly is that Shelby was/is able to take these Mustangs to a different level that corporate Ford did not, or was not willing to go. If it were anyone else in the world beside Shelby that was doing these post-title "Shelby's", then the whole post-title issue would be much more of an issue...............but it seems that most feel that Shelby and Ford are connected to the point where a Shelby-Shelby or a Ford Shelby fit either way?

The concerns/questions that I hear about the Super Snake are "is it real?" and does it have a "CSM number?", those are the only things I hear?

R

If it were anyone else in the world beside Shelby that was doing these post-title "Shelby's", then the whole post-title issue would be much more of an issue...............

Aren't some Super Snakes built by independent shops licensed by Shelby to do the conversion?

Aren't some Super Snakes built by independent shops licensed by Shelby to do the conversion?

I believe that the SS conversions can be completed by one of several shops, but KRs were only completed by Shelby Autos in Las Vegas. Pretty sure that the KR and Shelby GT are the "realest" Shelby Mustangs you can have, since the 1960s.

1. 1965/66 GT350

2. Ferrari Dino

I'll comment on only two....

2. Ferrari Dino: Well, I think a much better F-car is the F40, and if one escapes from the mother ship, a F50.

4, Ford GT: My choice. There may be more HP in other cars, but the FGT is the handling king. Horsepower matters on the straight but on road courses, it's more about how they do the twisties.

1. 1965/66 GT350

2. Ferrari Dino

Curious on your comment: "No Shelbys historically were "post title after market modded" cars back in the day. Not a one. " I may be misunderstanding your comment, how does the 1966 GT350-H and the 2006 GT-H fit in your comment or does it? Thanks

Curious on your comment: "No Shelbys historically were "post title after market modded" cars back in the day. Not a one. " I may be misunderstanding your comment, how does the 1966 GT350-H and the 2006 GT-H fit in your comment or doesI

I agree. There are many post-title Shelby cars that are significant vehicles, the Hertz cars, all of them, being right at the top; of the list.

Archived