TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking To Spend 40K On A Used Gt500Kr ( 2008 )

Jewish Santa

$80K for a KR? :do what: I don't know anyone who paid anywhere near that for their car. Most got them heavily discounted. I only paid $50K for mine. I was undecided between the KR and the 2010 GT500 at the same price. A no brainer (at least to me) for sure. :cool:

I paid 62000.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi to all,

Still casually looking for that KR, I've been on this web site since I started looking at purchasing a new 07 Shelby gt #0059 (white with deluxe cloth interior 1 of 9 made) I have also owned lightnings, a 1996 saleen cobra, and many fox body mustangs coupes. I've owned over 30+ cars and I like the rare stuff. I was looking at KR's back in 08 when Bob Davidson Ford in Parkville MD was trying to get $100k, but they quickly realized only one customer stepped up to pay that number and going into 09 they were priced at $67.500.00 and sold. I'm flexible on my $40K but I will not buy someones car that they modded or broke no matter the price. In my opinion, I think the the blue KR's are the best looking cars and that's what I truly want. I wish they would have made a white KR, that would have been awesome. The people who say they will never sell for $40k be careful you never know what life will bring thanks to everyone. Shit happens. Hopefully I'll find that right KR for the right price.

Hopefully I'll find that right KR for the right price.

You have demonstrated the key attribute that will guarantee your success. Your patience coupled with your finger on the pulse the market will allow you to buy the perfect KR.

For me, the hunt is just as much fun as the ownership.

I think the the blue KR's are the best looking cars and that's what I truly want.

Mine is vista blue, and I've watched vista blue's particularly all the way back to the beginning.

FYI, I think the lowest priced vista blue I ever saw that sold on eBay was around $49,500. The best deal I ever saw for a vista blue was a few months ago...the Kansas(?) car on MSO that sold at Mecum(?) for around $54K(?). I add question marks because I don't want to be quoted exactly, but I am close. I watch them, but I don't actually document them.

$40k to $45k for an unmolested vista blue is unrealistic, unless you find one with maybe 20,000 miles. Being patient is good. Being unrealistic is setting yourself up for a lot of wasted time or disappointment IMO.

I agree with JDB. I also think $40K is unrealistic for the Torch Red also. Only 180 Vistas Blue and 200 Torch Reds on the planet.

While I wish you luck in finding a KR you like I obviously hope you DON'T find one for $40K unless as JDB eluded to it has very high mileage.

I paid $62,000.00 for mine in October 2009 at my dealer. It was the right price at the time. In the late summer of 2008 the dealer wanted $100K for my car. They sold two previously for $100K. I waited, my car didn't sell with the ADM they were demanding in light of the sliding economy at the time and then the economy literally feel off a cliff in 2009 then shortly thereafter paid them another visit and paid $62K for the same car.

I agree with JDB. I also think $40K is unrealistic for the Torch Red also. Only 180 Vistas Blue and 200 Torch Reds on the planet.

While I wish you luck in finding a KR you like I obviously hope you DON'T find one for $40K unless as JDB eluded to it has very high mileage.

I paid $62,000.00 for mine in October 2009 at my dealer. It was the right price at the time. In the late summer of 2008 the dealer wanted $100K for my car. They sold two previously for $100K. I waited, my car didn't sell with the ADM they were demanding in light of the sliding economy at the time and then the economy literally feel off a cliff in 2009 then shortly thereafter paid them another visit and paid $62K for the same car.

You purchased your red KR about a week or two after I puchased my Vista Blue KR from the same dealership (same price as well). If you remember, they had 3 left. An '08 Silver, '09 Red (yours), and an '09 Blue (mine). Do you remember seeing a Vista Blue '08 GT-500 w/white stripes and a red "pit" stripe on the left front fender? That was previously my other car that I traded.

FIA: Yes. I remember the blue GT500 you traded in. I saw it very nice. I like your KR better though.

My good friend and neighbor bought the Silver KR right after you bought the Vista. I was the last to buy as you noted. Funny story...I didn't know you bought yours at $62K or that he bought is for around the same. He called me on a Sunday night and said "Guess what I bought". I had no clue. "He said I'll drive up the street and show you". I heard a deep V8 rumble coming up the street and saw the Silver KR. I was stunned!

He said he paid like $60K. I said "No way". He said "Way". Prior to that the best number I was getting the car was $72K from the dealer which was about 2 months before that.

He said "they just sold the blue one too". I panicked. Next morning I was at the dealer buying the sole surviving KR for $62K.

Yep. Still love that story :wub: Still love my KR :love_shower:

FIA: Yes. I remember the blue GT500 you traded in. I saw it very nice. I like your KR better though.

My good friend and neighbor bought the Silver KR right after you bought the Vista. I was the last to buy as you noted. Funny story...I didn't know you bought yours at $62K or that he bought is for around the same. He called me on a Sunday night and said "Guess what I bought". I had no clue. "He said I'll drive up the street and show you". I heard a deep V8 rumble coming up the street and saw the Silver KR. I was stunned!

He said he paid like $60K. I said "No way". He said "Way". Prior to that the best number I was getting the car was $72K from the dealer which was about 2 months before that.

He said "they just sold the blue one too". I panicked. Next morning I was at the dealer buying the sole surviving KR for $62K.

Yep. Still love that story :wub: Still love my KR :love_shower:

What a cool story!!!

Hi to all,

Still casually looking for that KR, I've been on this web site since I started looking at purchasing a new 07 Shelby gt #0059 (white with deluxe cloth interior 1 of 9 made) I have also owned lightnings, a 1996 saleen cobra, and many fox body mustangs coupes. I've owned over 30+ cars and I like the rare stuff. I was looking at KR's back in 08 when Bob Davidson Ford in Parkville MD was trying to get $100k, but they quickly realized only one customer stepped up to pay that number and going into 09 they were priced at $67.500.00 and sold. I'm flexible on my $40K but I will not buy someones car that they modded or broke no matter the price. In my opinion, I think the the blue KR's are the best looking cars and that's what I truly want. I wish they would have made a white KR, that would have been awesome. The people who say they will never sell for $40k be careful you never know what life will bring thanks to everyone. Shit happens. Hopefully I'll find that right KR for the right price.

Unless it's sold, there's a 09 Silver/blue stripes with 4200 miles on the clock in El Paso. It's pretty much perfect. It was listed at 48K, but he came down to 46K last time we spoke. It was my first choice before settling on my 08 with 6300 miles. I paid 45K.

Check Craigslist in El Paso.

AK.

There is one thing that helps the price of a kr is what all comes with it.While I was looking for mine there were a few for sale some with no paper work some had the window stickers .I was looking for all the documentation I could get and after a few months I finally found what I was looking for.Mine came with all the normal stuff but what made my decision was there was a press kit dealer paper work and a very nice framed , autographed and numbered print with the original owners name and the car number on it. So I paid a little more to have all the extra's that came with it.P S the print hangs over the fire place so I can look at it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pretty nice 7,800 mile one at a used car lot in Denver for $44,995, so probably can be had for around $40K. There's like 6 for sale in the Denver area right now in the mid $40's.

http://www.johnnysautosales.com/2009_Ford_Mustang%20Shelby%20GT500_Englewood_CO_226037023.veh

Did you notice how filthy the engine bay was?!?!?! Where was this car stored?

Trunk was dusty as well. You would think the seller would attempt to clean it up a little before taking the pictures. All it does is raise suspicions about the car.

I was looking at buying this one few weeks back, but from the original owner, it was an older lady, she wanted 43K, it was on autotrader, however, the car had some real bad scratches in the front bumper, and also some on upper passenger door and quarter panel. It looks like a good deal still but really needs some good cleaning.

a clean '09 with 4,450 miles sold today with no reserve bidding for $44,888.00

What happened to free Carfax reports on eBay? Now all I see AutoCheck that you have to buy.

That car had a salvage title, been listed MANY times and not sold. Im sure it will be back on soon

has rebuilt reconstructed title.

If eBay bought them, I don't see why they would be charging buyers for the service. Seams backwards to me, but then again, eBay has made many counter-productive decisions in the past 10 years as they try to be more like Amazon and less like themselves.

That dealer should have taken the $44,888. (If it was a real bid). I too have watched that car for over a year. That is the highest I have seen it get to. Salvaged cars are hard to unload.

I've seen this car on ebay also a lot of times. Mostly, the reserve was not met. But I recall that it already reached the reserve two - three times and always showed up for sale by the same dealer again. So either the highest bid came from the seller himself or the buyers walked away after seeing the car.

In general it does not make sense to me to buy a salvaged car for ~ 45k when good cars sell between 43k and 50k (some with less than 1,000 miles).

There are still some dreamers out there that want more than 55k for a used KR. I don't blame them as I probably also would not sell such a great car for less. But I'm curious how many of those highly priced cars were really sold during the last 12 months.

My bet is that we have to wait at least another 5 years before the current prices will go North again.

The KR for sure will be a highly sought classic in the future, but you have to be patient...

The prices seem to be edging upwards on nice KRs. I heard one sold (black) at Barrett for $71k. Blue and Red seem to command more. No way would I sell mine for less than $60k. One of only 200 on the planet with a genuine Shelby signature with car #.

No way.

I'd like to think that the OP might find one but it's going to be a long wait and might not happen for a long time. I think the OP ought to open his window +10%-20%. I had the same problem when looking for my Gt - it was on the upward trend and that trend has continued for 4 years. It's kind of "now or never".

Archived