TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking To Spend 40K On A Used Gt500Kr ( 2008 )

Jewish Santa

For pre title vs post title significance one just has look at the preferred choice of those who work/ed at Shelby. Carroll, Robert, Jer all own/ed pre-titled Shelby KR/GT's . Not a SS in the group. Nuff said.

What? Are you saying that there is not an SS in Carroll's stable or other post title cars? Robert and Sharon have a Terlingua also. Ask Jer if he wants a new Shelby GT, or would love a SS. This thread is taking all kinds of radical turns when the OP was just looking for a KR. After reading all of this, he probably ran away screaming and would never want one.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Are you saying that there is not an SS in Carroll's stable or other post title cars? Robert and Sharon have a Terlingua also. Ask Jer if he wants a new Shelby GT, or would love a SS. This thread is taking all kinds of radical turns when the OP was just looking for a KR. After reading all of this, he probably ran away screaming and would never want one.

Never said Jer wouldn't want an SS or anything else. I'm sure, he like all of us, would like a barn full of automobiles. I've pointed out that those closest to SAI are/were proud pre-title owners and have not spent their money on SS's. Carroll himself had a KR. Could have had a stable of SS's - after all he owned the company. But he didn't own an SS in his name as far as I know. Just stating the facts. IMHO nothing else really needs to be said about the providence of the KR.

I see that the OP last visited TS a couple of days ago. I'm curious to hear if/what he decided on a car. As far as SS compared to KRs I would be happy to have either in my garage. The main thing to me is that it has that CSM plate.

• As long as the video game vendors continue to pump dream cars such as Super Snakes into their games and the youths minds, and Shelby continues to up the ante with what it offers which is way above what Ford offers from the assy. line, the Super Snake will stay in the enthusiasts/youths minds and not be lost behind the newest/latest/greatest next higher hp offering from Ford, and then once the Super Snake production stops, by model year, it will change. I mean really, why would someone pay $70K, $80K etc. for a 2008 higher hp Super Snake when they can buy a used lower mile 2008 GT500 for $32K and send it to Las Vegas and spend another $35K <<($67K for this example) and get one done, right now. Or for that matter, a current owner has a 2008, it's paid off, they could spend $35K and get their own car upgraded right now, why would they spend $70K or $80K to buy another car already Super Snaked?

^^^To be honest, I am amazed how well these cars are doing when they are still offering them and they are readily available if a person chooses to go that direction.

and then to the newer 2013/14........

I believe (and I could be wrong), that buying a new Shelby GT500 for, round numbers $65K, and adding another $40K+ to it, coming away with 850hp and all of the upgrades that everyone wants on these cars and having a car that is maybe 500 built or less makes that a "dream car" to most enthusiasts, and this car is nothing at all that can be bought through the Ford assy. line. <<This will be what will keep these cars at the upper portion of the "dream list" as it relates to Mustangs, and the pre-title/post-title thing will mean nothing to someone who finally gets to the point in their career of buying their "dream car"."

•  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RobertM:

I would like to know if Carroll owned a Supersnake. That would be an interesting fact.

I don't know what the SS production is. Does anyone? However, the fact they keep pumping them out in all flavors of the rainbow and all power combinations and in all year platforms sets the KR apart further especially in years to come as SS are still being made and their ranks grow in ever increasing numbers and variations. Which variations will be desired? What year platforms? What colors, which were modded at SAI or some mod shop?

We do know all the KR's are pre title and all were built at SAI. We know they aren't being made anymore. We know their strong lineage to Shelby history. We know Carroll owned one. We know they commanded over $100,000.00 in a strong economy. We know their numbers will decrease in time with attrition not increase with production. We know they were the "most powerful" production Mustang in their day. They tremendous performers even by todays standards and one of the best looking Mustangs ever produced. We know people salivate at the prospect of being able to get their hands on KR specific parts.

Have I missed anything?

Yes, there were a large number of after market companies in the Sixties. Here are some. Cragger, Hooker Headers, Hurst, Eldebrock, Manly, Iskey etc...Are their more today. Yes but there were many back then too. Not sure of your point. SAI from my understanding decided not to do another pre-title car after the KR based on the red tape and difficulty in the process. Has nothing to do with the "aftermarket".

• We know they commanded over $100,000.00 in a strong economy.

Umm, they commanded over $100,000.00 at the height of the Great Recession...the country's 2nd-worst economic disaster of all time.

I don't think a KR will ever be worth more than a same year SS. Just look at past and present values for both cars. Even though the KR is a better engineered car, 725hp > 540hp. The pre title vs. post title thing doesn't matter to potential buyers since both are REAL Shelbys with CSM #s. I think what hurt the KRs value was that it was underpowered. You can buy a 2010-2012 GT500 that offers the same performance for less $$. They should've put the Ford Racing TVS on it for 600+ hp. Well, at least our KRs are/will always be worth more than standard GT500s. Just my .02 :shrug:

Umm, they commanded over $100,000.00 at the height of the Great Recession...the country's 2nd-worst economic disaster of all time.

You mean right before the Great Recession. That underscores my point.

We are all speculating but the future will tell.

I agree the KR should have had the TVS but that was Ford wagging the dog. They either didn't want a production car coming off their showrooms with 650hp or they already had plans for their own 600hp car and didn't want it upstaged. They cleat incorporated many of the KRs improvements in the later production car. No question SAI wanted the TVS and Ford nixed it.

We are all speculating but the future will tell.

I agree the KR should have had the TVS but that was Ford wagging the dog. They either didn't want a production car coming off their showrooms with 650hp or they already had plans for their own 600hp car and didn't want it upstaged. They cleat incorporated many of the KRs improvements in the later production car. No question SAI wanted the TVS and Ford nixed it.

Real One -

I'm not certain but did you bring up at one time that SAI was working on some sort of suspension/performance package for the KR? If it was you that mentioned it, what ever became of that? Just curious.

No, I mean during. So your point must be different than mine.

Aside from arguing how you want to determine when the Great Recession was, the Dow hit rock bottom March 9, 2009...but it also took a while to get there. We all knew the ship was sinking since spring/summer 2007, but just didn't know how deep the lake was. The 2008 and 2009 KR came out at the very worst time in recent history to sell a luxury item to a presumably "educated, middle-class, blue-collar" customer. Remember: nobody was spending money on anything at this time, and everyone was scared.

So my point in stating this is that it speaks volumes for the credibility of the car to have such good sales success and during one of the worst retail economic conditions dating all the way back through the entire musclecar era of 50+ years. Some dealers charged $40k over, and almost all KR's sold during this world economic crisis...so I'd say that's impressive. If there were 1,500 Super Snakes on dealers lots in 2008 and 9, do you think they would have sold as well as the KR?

Aside from arguing how you want to determine when the Great Recession was, the Dow hit rock bottom March 9, 2009...but it also took a while to get there. We all knew the ship was sinking since spring/summer 2007, but just didn't know how deep the lake was. The 2008 and 2009 KR came out at the very worst time in recent history to sell a luxury item to a presumably "educated, middle-class, blue-collar" customer. Remember: nobody was spending money on anything at this time, and everyone was scared.

So my point in stating this is that it speaks volumes for the credibility of the car to have such good sales success and during one of the worst retail economic conditions dating all the way back through the entire musclecar era of 50+ years. Some dealers charged $40k over, and almost all KR's sold during this world economic crisis...so I'd say that's impressive. If there were 1,500 Super Snakes on dealers lots in 2008 and 9, do you think they would have sold as well as the KR?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you and I are saying the same thing. My point is the KR was selling for big dollars until the economy killed it and very bad timing compounded the problem. With time in the future I think the KR will rebound substantially. I still think it will bring more than the SS except for maybe the real expensive SS with wide bodies with the full monty Likely won't be many of them.

Frank: Yes, I had discussions with Jer and Gary Patterson. They thought it was a terrific idea. It was a win win for everybody. I even suggest that those KR owners who bought the new "KR power package be offered an extra set of KR wheels at an attractive number. Went no where. I know a lot of KR owners would be very interested in a "numbered KR power package with certificate" including their off the shelf stuff like (a) TVS (b) Watts link © lowering springs (d) lower control arm brackets (larger intercooler). I spoke to a number of owners and they were all interested. Inexplicable to me. Not chasing them anymore. They are focusing on Ford Focuses, Raptors and SS's. No time for us KR owners anymore. They do have time to sell KR wheels to the public breaking their word to KR owners though. :headspin: :redcard:

Whether I would be interested now, not sure (doubtful) after I believe they threw the KR and owners under the bus with the wheel dump to the public. I would need at least an explanation from them as to what happened with the wheels before I would entertain spending money with them again.

Ah okay, I see what you're saying. I don't blame the economy for killing the value of the KR's though. What Shelby maketh, Shelby taketh. My $.02

I agree 100% that the values of KR's will rise. But it will be so far in the future that I'll bet you and I won't care, and actually I already don't care...so there. :lol:

Captain, that's one of the reasons I went ahead & installed the FRPP TVS. It was offered as part of the Upfitter Pkg. & it really compliments the whole KR setup. I went ahead and ported and polished the heck out of it, as well as, installed a L&M elbow and tb. I couldn't have the 13'/14' out power the King!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you and I are saying the same thing. My point is the KR was selling for big dollars until the economy killed it and very bad timing compounded the problem. With time in the future I think the KR will rebound substantially. I still think it will bring more than the SS except for maybe the real expensive SS with wide bodies with the full monty Likely won't be many of them.

Frank: Yes, I had discussions with Jer and Gary Patterson. They thought it was a terrific idea. It was a win win for everybody. I even suggest that those KR owners who bought the new "KR power package be offered an extra set of KR wheels at an attractive number. Went no where. I know a lot of KR owners would be very interested in a "numbered KR power package with certificate" including their off the shelf stuff like (a) TVS (b) Watts link © lowering springs (d) lower control arm brackets (larger intercooler). I spoke to a number of owners and they were all interested. Inexplicable to me. Not chasing them anymore. They are focusing on Ford Focuses, Raptors and SS's. No time for us KR owners anymore. They do have time to sell KR wheels to the public breaking their word to KR owners though. :headspin: :redcard:

Whether I would be interested now, not sure (doubtful) after I believe they threw the KR and owners under the bus with the wheel dump to the public. I would need at least an explanation from them as to what happened with the wheels before I would entertain spending money with them again.

Wow. I think a numbered KR power package would have sold very well......maybe before the parts dump..... It still could go over well depending on content and pricing - might even be considered a good will move to smooth over everything from the hood fiasco to the wheel dump. They could even throw in Gary Disney Recaro's on 05-09 seat bottoms - now that might even make me pull mine off the market.

So Real One has there ever been a "Pre -title / Post title Shelby" :) ? Ah just imagine!

I'd like to know how many KR's have been modified. A stock KR will be worth more than one that's modified/customized, same as any other car (as a general rule).

I'm not a purist per se, but my KR is 100% stock except for the KR brake fluid cap, which really was designed to be included with the car originally. No CS signature...no numbered door sills...no sequential turn signals...nothing like that for my car.

Really, my only complaints with the car are extremely minor:

I wish I had no NAV (better yet, I wish KR's came with radio delete b/c quite frankly the Shaker 500 system sounds like sh*t and the front speakers look like hell).

I wish the car had an outside temp gage.

I wish the traction control was a switch that could be kept turned off, or I didn't have to tear the dash apart to install the switch spoof.

I wish the engine heat vented a little better rather than turning the cockpit into an oven (the most enjoyable day to drive would be sunny and 60 degrees outside)

I wish the temp and oil gages had numbers and didn't look like they were leftover parts from the 1970's.

I wish the useless boost gage didn't even exist (it won't move unless you really stomp on it, and there's no way you're looking down at a gage at that point)

I'd like to know how many KR's have been modified. A stock KR will be worth more than one that's modified/customized, same as any other car (as a general rule).

I'm not a purist per se, but my KR is 100% stock except for the KR brake fluid cap, which really was designed to be included with the car originally. No CS signature...no numbered door sills...no sequential turn signals...nothing like that for my car.

I wish I had no NAV (better yet, I wish KR's came with radio delete b/c quite frankly the Shaker 500 system sounds like sh*t and the front speakers look like hell).

I wish the traction control was a switch that could be kept turned off, or I didn't have to tear the dash apart to install the switch spoof.

I wish the engine heat vented a little better rather than turning the cockpit into an oven (the most enjoyable day to drive would be sunny and 60 degrees outside)

I wish the temp and oil gages had numbers and didn't look like they were leftover parts from the 1970's.

I wish the useless boost gage didn't even exist (it won't move unless you really stomp on it, and there's no way you're looking down at a gage at that point)

I think that bolt on bolt off mods are not a real issue.

Some cars are not affected by mods. Example: Ford GTs. Some mods even add value and are desired. Mine is modded. Rear bumper delete. Heffner Tune. Diff cooler (was an intended part from get go by factory but dropped due to cost. The bracket holes are there from the factory for the bolt on cooler. TA lowering kit. Short shift linkage. Hot buttons for seats. K&N air filter, Brembo decals on the red Brembo calipers. Ford GT custom cat delete race exhaust from Area 51. All parts bolt on and off. All original parts are on loft.

Carroll himself had a KR.

He had two KR's.

I had the choice between a SS or a KR. I went with the KR. I just think it is a better car and then there was the promise of restricted parts and limited production. I will have an SS one day especially considering they apparently will be making them forever.

man someone needs to sing you that super tramp song .

Meh, bolt-on or not, I wouldn't buy a modded KR. You'll have to return it to stock to get the better selling price. And you will certainly have to return it to stock to have the car appreciated as a fine original example.

The Dow and S&P both peaked in October of 2007 before the slide started...

I'll adjust my comment to say summer 2007, since spring might be a stretch for most people to grasp.

We sold our house in July 2007 and I rushed to complete the bath remodel on it to get it on the market ASAP. The light probably went on in my head around May/June. We still talk about how close we cut it...to be able to get a premium price and while the banks were still writing loans. We also bought a different house before I had even put that one on the market...something that would be impossible to do just 6 months later.

The housing bubble had been discussed since around...maybe 1998. I intently followed the subject in the news and was prepared for when I saw indicators to signal that it was finally inevitable. Again going off of memory, I recall reading about one-year growth valuation of 278% in the Las Vegas market, which was a dead-giveaway to me that we were very close to the end. Most of the general public are sheep who didn't realize it for another year, and were also the ones most affected because they did not see or plan for it coming. The Dow and S&P are kind of like sheep too, being the last-in-line indicators that reflect public spending/corporate earnings.

Regardless, the 2008 KR still came out in 2008 when most knew the economy was in big trouble. The spigots turned off abruptly for personal, business, and banking finances across the board. Pink slips were being handed out to thousands every week. Although March 9, 2009 was the low, in very simplistic terms you could argue that it was also the beginning of the rise of DOW and S&P indices and market "reaction" to the idea that things are not worse than what they were right now (in truth it was a prolonged low that dragged on for a long time, but you get my point about market reaction).

So I would disagree with the general statement that any KR sold for $100,000.00 in a strong market because the market wasn't strong when the KR debuted.

To your point, I purchased my '09 GT500 in 12/08 and bought it at invoice. In prior years, people paid sticker plus the market adjustment fee which in some cases was up to $50,000 above sticker. Albeit possible in the very beginning of the KR release, I can't see anyone during the 2nd half of 2008 paying $100,000 for a KR. Ford's stock price was tumbling and they were discounting everything left and right. I had been looking for almost a year and remember investigating KR pricing as well which was around $79,000 - $85,000 in the early part of 08 when Ford stock was bouncing between $6.64 to a high of $8.26 in April 08 when suddenly it plummeted. Ford was trading a $2.09 a share when I bought mine.

http://mustangs.about.com/b/2008/04/29/2008-shelby-gt500kr-mustang-79995-msrp.htm

As far as KR, Super Snake, GT500, GT350, Shelby 1000 values moving forward, I go back to my previous statement:

spec·u·la·tion

/ˌspɛkthinsp.pngyəˈleɪthinsp.pngʃən/ Show Spelled [spek-yuh-ley-shuhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngn]

noun
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.
2. a single instance or process of consideration.
3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.
4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.
5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, especially trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.
While we all HOPE these cars will hold/appreciate their value, there is no guarantee. The ONLY American made vehicle that immediately gained value off the showroom floor in history: 2005 - 2006 Ford GTmillan_donutcoffee.gif

$80K for a KR? :do what: I don't know anyone who paid anywhere near that for their car. Most got them heavily discounted. I only paid $50K for mine. I was undecided between the KR and the 2010 GT500 at the same price. A no brainer (at least to me) for sure. :cool:

So you bought a 2 year old car new from a Ford dealer who held out too long and for too high of price and finally got tired of looking at it? That was not the norm, and you got lucky for timing and price.

$80K for a KR? :do what: I don't know anyone who paid anywhere near that for their car. Most got them heavily discounted. I only paid $50K for mine. I was undecided between the KR and the 2010 GT500 at the same price. A no brainer (at least to me) for sure. :cool:

There were many who paid $85K+ in early 2008. When the economic spiral steepened KR prices started softening.

My dealer sold 2 KRs in early 2008 for over $100K.

So you bought a 2 year old car new from a Ford dealer who held out too long and for too high of price and finally got tired of looking at it? That was not the norm, and you got lucky for timing and price.

Yep. I did that twice.

See, here is an informed consumer!!! Great choice!

Archived